VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Running Vista with a small 40 gb C Drive HD (basic NTFS), folder account for about 23gb of space and I am left with about 820mb of space which accounts for 2% free space. I have done error checks, defrag and deleted temp files; none of which has helped. So basically I am losing 13 gb of space for no apparent reason. I am also thinking of making the c drive dynamic but don't know if that would help. Any suggestions? TIA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Download this. It'll show you where the space is going

http://nirsoft.net/utils/folrep.zip

Make sure you choose C:\ as the root folder to scan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll give it a whirl.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A 40GB HDD is perfect for an operating system, your programs and a few files here and there but you really need a storage drive for all your movies, music and data files. The bigger the better. Fry's has a 750GB Seagate for $89. Looks like you have room for 4 of them.

You need 15GB of available space to run Vista. 23+15=38 which leaves 2% free.

Edit:

Note: One gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes; accessible capacity will be less and actual capacity depends on the operating environment and formatting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like that link from Bjs says, Volume Shadow and System Restore in Vista can use a lot of disk space, and doesn't provide an easy way to change how much space it uses, like XP did. You should be able to regain a few gigs by turning it off and then back on again, forcing Vista to clean out the old System Restore points and Volume Shadow copies and re-calculate how much disk space to use in the future:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/07/01/disable-and-turn-off-system-restore-shadow-co...windows-vista/

Note the precautions there and see if they're important to you. They weren't to me. The last time I did this I picked up twenty-something gigs, but that was on a 320GB HD.

There's also a link there on how to manually specify how much space System Restore/Volume Shadow Copy will use.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's another program, which is veru easy to use: TreeSize Free.
    You can d/l it from: http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. SequioaView is great if you're having trouble seeing the wood for the trees.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote