VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a 19" CRT @800 x 600 kind of guy. New LCDs in the 1600+ native resolution range don't work for me at all, as when I go non-native, the text goes watery (cleartype is useless).

One workaround that I've been considering is to purchase an LCD TV and use it as a monitor. I'm noticing that just about all of the LCD TVs have the necessary connectors and the native resolutions are usually quite low- not 800 x 600 low, but with a larger screen size, I can pretty much match the text size that I'm looking at now.

From what I can tell, LCD TVs and LCD Monitors seem to have comparable specs- in fact, it looks like the TVs, although, more costly, have slightly better specs (better contrast, faster response, etc.). Am I overlooking anything in regards to comparability?

Does anyone have any experience using a TV as a monitor? If so, how is it working out for you?

Presently, I'm thinking about a LCD TV in the 27"-32" realm.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm using a 32" widescreen Sony TV as a monitor for my PVR, and it's perfect for computing from across the room. Wireless mouse and keyboard, your favourite easy chair, and enjoy
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm curious, beyond the PVR duties what else do you use your computer for?

Photoshop? Word? Email? Web Surfing?

Also, this would be a 32" monitor at a desk, not across the room. Could you envision your current LCD in that scenario? Is the text clear up close?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have been running a 32" HDTV Viewsonic on my desk for about 2 years now. Text is clear and it works well. My desktop is deep so my LCD sat back about 3.5 feet from my chair. I recently moved this to my bedroom since my console TV finally gave out. I purchased a 24" Sceptre for my desk now but both the 32" and the 24" hooked up with 2 keyboards. One in the bedroom the other in my office. Works well still.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD LCD-TV sets usually accept 1024x768, 1280x768 or 1366x768 without overscan over VGA at a minimum.

For DVD-D, most LCD-TV sets overscan causing cropped computer desktops. Others have settings to defeat overscan.

Other than the overscan issue, most current LCD-TV sets handle computer or VGA game consoles well but with large pixels. You need to increase distance to the TV to match what you are used to seeing with a computer monitor.

Most are 16x9 aspect ratio and 1366x768 native display resolution. They should be driven at native resolution with 60Hz refresh.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you wanna do the BlackFriday thing, Walmart will have the Polaroid 42" 1080p LCD HDTV for $598; quite a drop from $1500 back in '06. VGA input as well as the digital tuner and HDMI, component, composite, etc.
    Nary a dead pixel; I like my Polaroid, tho others have griped online. It is apparently a rebadged Element (shades of Ilo!)
    Also of interest may be:
    Magnavox Blu-Ray Disc Player $128
    Seagate 500GB External USB Hard Drive $69.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by enter8
    I'm a 19" CRT @800 x 600 kind of guy. New LCDs in the 1600+ native resolution range don't work for me at all, as when I go non-native, the text goes watery (cleartype is useless).
    If you can find one, try a 1600x1200 LCD display and run it at 800x600 (or any big size you can run at exactly half the native resolution on each axis). Each pixel of the source will become four (2x2) pixels on the screen and it should look pretty good.
    Quote Quote  
  8. FWIW I use a 32" LCD TV for everything including the computer. I'm set at 1360 by 768. I sit 4 to 5 foot away depending on where I'm at in the recliner. I use a small wireless KB/touchpad combo. I can hold it in my left hand and do everything with the right due to the built-in touchpad. Think of a typical laptop kb touchpad size and layout and there you are. Built byAdesso model WKB-4000US. The Logitech PS3 bluetooth wireless Kb/Touchpad also worked for me but this smaller and lighter.

Bottom line = 32" display, compeletely silent computer next to it Quad core of course, and Wireless and Bingo, We have a winner.

Go for it. Just be sure and get one that has VGA input and you'll have no problems with the computer desktop overscanning.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using a Samsung 22 inch LCD TV for a computer monitor since last year. It's great because I can use the Netflix:Watch Instantly. Although I haven't convinced myself of buying a small wireless keyboard w/touch pad yet. Because I didn't know (until now) which manufacturer/brand was decent/good. TBoneit: thanks for posting the model of your wireless keyboard!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by enter8
    If you can find one, try a 1600x1200 LCD display and run it at 800x600 (or any big size you can run at exactly half the native resolution on each axis). Each pixel of the source will become four (2x2) pixels on the screen and it should look pretty good.
    Except that everything would be stretched horizontally. I see this all the time with widescreen laptops that have either had the wrong drivers installed (usually running with just the default windows drivers), or where the owner has tried to reduce the resolution by choosing 800 x 600. Everything ends up distorted - text, images, video.

If you really are an 800 x 600 kinda guy then the brave new world of LCD TVs is not for you. LCD displays really only work correctly at their native resolution. Everything else is a compromise in quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    If you can find one, try a 1600x1200 LCD display and run it at 800x600
    Except that everything would be stretched horizontally.
    No, a 1600x1200 LCD display is 4:3, just like an old CRT. It's hard to find 4:3 LCDs now though.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    HD LCD-TV sets usually accept 1024x768, 1280x768 or 1366x768 without overscan over VGA at a minimum.

For DVD-D, most LCD-TV sets overscan causing cropped computer desktops. Others have settings to defeat overscan.
    Thanks, this is very helpful. I wasn't aware of the overscan issue.

Other than the overscan issue, most current LCD-TV sets handle computer or VGA game consoles well but with large pixels. You need to increase distance to the TV to match what you are used to seeing with a computer monitor.
    Are you certain of this? I just broke out my calculator, and, unless my math is wrong, a 32" tv @1366x768 gives me almost the exact same pixel size as my 19" crt @800x600. I shouldn't have to increase the distance to the TV in this scenario, should I?

Most are 16x9 aspect ratio and 1366x768 native display resolution. They should be driven at native resolution with 60Hz refresh.
    So, if I'm hearing you correctly, I'm looking for a 32" LCD TV with 16:9 a/r 1366x768 native res with at least a VGA connector. I'm curious, am I losing anything going with VGA? Is there a better connector I should be shopping for in this TV-as-monitor equation? If my video card has HDMI out, I should be looking for an HDMI connector, correct?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by enter8
    am I losing anything going with VGA? Is there a better connector I should be shopping for in this TV-as-monitor equation? If my video card has HDMI out, I should be looking for an HDMI connector, correct?
    As edDV mentioned, HDMI is likely to be overscanned. You won't see ~3 percent of all 4 edges. And input resolutions on HDMI are likely to be restricted to 1280x720 and 1920x1080, both of which will be digitally resized and overscanned.

I believe all of Samsung's 1080p LCDs have a pixel-for-pixel mode (Samsung calls it Just Scan) where every pixel of a 1920x1080 HDMI input is mapped to a single pixel on the 1920x1080 display -- just like an LCD computer monitor at its native resolution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

Thanks, this is very helpful. I wasn't aware of the overscan issue.
    For more background see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Are you certain of this? I just broke out my calculator, and, unless my math is wrong, a 32" tv @1366x768 gives me almost the exact same pixel size as my 19" crt @800x600. I shouldn't have to increase the distance to the TV in this scenario, should I?
    Maybe not if you are used to 800x600 desktops. I'm used to 1280x1024 to 1680x1050 desktops these days.

You might have neck strain issues. You'll see what I mean.

So, if I'm hearing you correctly, I'm looking for a 32" LCD TV with 16:9 a/r 1366x768 native res with at least a VGA connector. I'm curious, am I losing anything going with VGA? Is there a better connector I should be shopping for in this TV-as-monitor equation? If my video card has HDMI out, I should be looking for an HDMI connector, correct?
    This comes down to TV selection. If you go with a modern Samsung LCD-TV for example, it will allow "Just Scan" 1:1 pixel mode over DVI-D or HDMI which defeats overscan. Those monitors that overscan DVI-D/HDMI force you to use your display card desktop zoom feature that scales the 1366x768 desktop down to ~ 1230x695 to be visible. This scaling reduces image quality to less than 1:1 VGA quality depending on the display card used.

I suggest you invest in a better LCD-TV. Shop the sales later this week.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a 19", 1680x1050, 3ns LCD monitor, and I run it at its native resolution of 1680x1050. The text is as sharp as is. If you go any other resolution setting your text will be aliasizedl--schmeary looking. Most mfr's give you the prefered resolution setup--usually the max that the monitor is stated for.

1280/1024 -- 1.25 AR
    1366/768 --- 1.778 AR ( though actual 1.7786458333 ... )
    1440/900 --- 1.6 AR
    1680/1050 -- calculates to a 1.6 aspect ratio..not quite 1.778 though close.
    1920/1080 -- 1.778 AR

When you play a proper (movie) video it is up to your software player to scale to 16:9, 1.778 aspect ratio. Some SW players can be confured to select differerent AR layouts. The VLC player is an example, so are the latest players such as PowerDVD and WinDVD to name a few, though VLC is the easiest to configure, pressing the "A" char on your keyboard will toggle through several aspect ratios.

[s:9d749bf31a]Now, given the odd 1680x1050 resolution and off-aspect ratio it incurrs, and using the VLC SW player, though at first the video may show lessor borders, but you can easily "correct" this by pressing the "A" to arrive at the correct AR. ie, if your source is a true 1.778 video, that'll be easy..same for the 1.85, but the 2.35 might be trickier--but not really..just use the same setting as you would have in the 1.778 example.[/s:9d749bf31a] <-- I was in error, disregard.

The next trouble you will have (I know I have it, still) is the color (or black) levels. On my monitor right now, all the images/photos on this webpage are soo dark that you can barely see the faces in most images. For ie, if you (I) look at budz's avator, I can only see some of his face. The rest is all black. However, the text and background and desktop on are all fine. GAMA or something else must be screwy. Anyways. That's the problem you will prob face, initially on new-er widescreen monitors or HDTV lcd's that you connect to your computer. Its a pain in my backside as I write this, but I'm slowly adjusting to living with this problem. I Just wanted you know that you might be headed for..though I hope you fair better than I.

Perhaps connecting through DVI-I or DVD-D or HDMI correct this phenoma.

In any case, good luck,

-vhelp 4947
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Samsung LN32A330 seems like a good choice. It is a 720p 32" 16x9 flat screen LCD with a native resolution of 1366x768 and supports "just scan" via HDMI although I get the impression that HDMI must be 720p or 1280x720 whereas the PC input would be 1366x768 so I'm confused as to which would look better?

The price for the Samsung LN32A330 is $588.00 at WALMART or $599.99 at BEST BUY.

Samsung website link about the LN32A330 ---> CLICK HERE

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

*** EDIT ***
    I read the manual some more and it accepts 1360x768 via HDMI (not a typo ... it clearly says 1360 not 1366)
    It also says that 1360x768 is the optimal resolution for PC input (be it HDMI or D-Sub).
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote