VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something strange is happening with Vegas. For some reason, when I try to encode to MainConcept MP4, I get this dialog box:

"The system is low on memory. You may be able to reduce memory usage by closing other applications"

This doesn't happen when I encode to DV avi, quicktime, wmv, mp3...

It can't be a memory problem because I have 1GB and I used to use Vegas with 512mb with no trouble. So something else is definitely wrong. Has anyone else gotten this message? What did you do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bring up the control panel ctrl-alt-del and click on the performance tab. see how much free ram you have before a render and then do a mp4 render and watch the stats. you may need more ram or to increase the page file.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is a memory problem. Increase your virtual memory size

right click my computer => properties => advanced tab => performance settings => advanced tab => virtual memory change => specify the same inital and max size (e.g. 1024, 1024) for better performance and constant resizing + press set, ok, apply
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had changed the drive for the pagefile previously and increased its size, but I didn't have the initial and max set to the same so I'll try that now and report back...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No such luck.. same error comes up. I still don't think it's a memory issue because right after that box pops up, I can render to another format like MPEG2, etc. without any problem..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did you reboot before? Sometimes it will hold onto bad memory handles unless you restart the application and/or reboot.

Also test your memory integrity with memtest64+ or similar dos based memory testing program

Different encoders have different memory requirements, and some unpatched versions may have a memory leak. Did you open up task manager as aedipuss suggested?

PS. Make sure you save your project first!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did open the task manager, but I don't know which number to report, there's so many things on that page. In the PF usage, it says around 265 (the little graph thing)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i just tried to see how much memory is required by vegas for a mp4 render and the most i could get it to use is 180mb. you are probably correct in thinking it's not a memory issue. are you up to date and using version 8.0c? if not update and try it. if you are i'd uninstall/reinstall vegas.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    actually I'm 8.0b Hopefully an update will fix it. I will let you know...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I updated to 8.0c and got the same problem.. Then I had a thought. I was trying to encode to a custom template I created. I thought perhaps some setting in there was causing the problem. Sure enough, I set it to one of the preset apple ipod templates and it rendered with a bunch of other programs open! Now I have to figure out which setting is corrupting it..
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas is very weird sometimes. When I want to make DVD files for my film I have to use MPEG2 then re-encode it with another DVD software because if I use the DVD preset under MPEG2 render it crashes Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is clearly a memory leak (I'm a graphics / video application developer myself). No way to fix this except making a ridiculously large pagefile and blaming Sony, I'm afraid.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please use SIW to help you fill in system configuration information under your profile.

There was some information a while back about a similar issue which required users to use msconfig to set and adjust the max mem value for vcache in system.ini ... roughly set to 512mb is the sweet spot ... you could try this, and reboot the system after.

Then there's some other options within sony vegas > Low memory errors ... try those

Note: Large projects can trigger these events.

Vegas 8 here ... never any issues ... largest project file ever used ... 210gig DV AVI
    Quote Quote