VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I have some time to waste those days and I thought, "this is a great time to work on something".

I have old PCs and working parts just sitting there. One PC based on a Duron 1200 and another one based on an Athlon XP 1800. I also have many BT878 capture cards, a Haupauge PVR250, a SkyStar 2, AirStar for DVD-T etc. Overall plenty of stuff just sitting there. So, I was thinking: Why not to build a PC to act as a DVD Recorder with a HDD?

I'm not interesting that much on building a full HTPC. I was wondering, if there is some software out there that focus on turning a PC to a HiEnd DVD standalone DVD recorder or something. With filters during capturing, etc.

I don't know how the HTPC freeware solutions like GBPVR, Mediaportal and so they are doing it on that direction.

Any suggestions to look for?
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know. But I think that the one thing that could possibly give you an "edge" to all this would be some programming background--building a player/recorder with other features for this DIY home pvr dvd recorder, etc. But I'm not sure of your goal. Still, it is an option.

-vhelp 4939
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi vhelp,
    my goal is simply: turn old pc parts to something usefull: A DVD standalone recorder.

GeeXboX is the closer thing I found, but it is not exactly something that turns your old PC to a DVD Standalone Recorder.

It surprises me that nobody tried that already.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm no expert but I don't think youl find a OS for that purpose that is available retail? (but I may be wrong).

The simple answer is to use Windows XP or Vista using that GB-PVR programme which looks good.

I assembled a similar set up using an old AMD chip etc which has a wifi connection to my isp hub, so that I can down load TV programmes etc, and various codecs as required for the various media players loaded.

My next step will be to add a TV card, so that I can record direct from my aerial.

If your interested CustomPC ran an article on this subject a month or two ago, have a look at their web site they have ideas as to the equipment best suited for PVR's. http://www.custompc.co.uk

Good luck in your search.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Airhopper, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Beyond TV has a plug in that allows realtime TV capture - DVD Burning and the way I see it is the closest function I could have to what I have in mind.
    Does GB-PVR or any other similar and freeware program do this?

If that GeexBox had that fuction, it would be almost perfect...
    Quote Quote