VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to put a DVD onto a flash drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why not? your typical dvd is over 4 gb so you'll need a large one, but dvd's are only composed of files that can be stored on anything, as long as the encryption is removed.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    Flash drives almost all use the FAT32 file system so your file size is limited to 4GB, which means putting a DVD ISO is usually not possible, but you can certainly put the video_ts folder on a flash drive so long as no single file is more than 4 GB. Windows Vista supports a modified version of FAT32 for external drives that supports files larger than 4GB but that file system is only supported by Vista.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you can store a DVD on a flash drive. I know of nothing that will play it as a DVD.

At best, you can play the individual vob files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by festmaster
    Flash drives almost all use the FAT32 file system so your file size is limited to 4GB, which means putting a DVD ISO is usually not possible, but you can certainly put the video_ts folder on a flash drive so long as no single file is more than 4 GB.
    DVD VOBs are all 1 GB or less, so they can be copied onto FAT32, NTFS, etc.

The question is, what do you do with it?
    You can certainly play a VIDEO_TS folder on a PC, regardless of file system.
    (E.g., with VLC, MPC.)
    Stand-alone players, who knows, it's not a standard feature.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    festmaster
    Flash drives almost all use the FAT32 file system so your file size is limited to 4GB,
    Flash drives can be reformated as NTFS if they are large enough. Well I think they can. I have reformed FAT16 drives to FAT32. At 1GB Windows XP wouldn't allow NTFS. It sure cut down on the space wasted on slack due to the large number of small files I had on the drives.

Megahurts
    VLC should have no problems playing the whole DVD on a flash drive. It will even play an ISO. Of course that will take at least a 8GB drive for most DVDs. And maybe a reformat to NTFS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Megahurts
    Yes you can store a DVD on a flash drive. I know of nothing that will play it as a DVD.

powerdvd, vlc, and mpc all played a dvd off a flash drive just fine. i just copied the video_ts folder onto it and it's as good as a disc.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Western Digital media player referenced here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html
    will play it and it supports NTFS on flash drives with no problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The assumption is the USB drive and cable can keep up
    with the computer app.

A DVD in an internal DVD drive may have faster throughput
    than one on a USB drive.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    The Western Digital media player referenced here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html
    will play it and it supports NTFS on flash drives with no problem.
    And many other standalone media players. Seagate FreeAgent Theater, Popbox, Boxee Box, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hoccomocco View Post
    than one on a USB drive.
    You have to go back pretty far to get flash drives that can't play at DVD 1x speed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by hoccomocco View Post
    than one on a USB drive.
    You have to go back pretty far to get flash drives that can't play at DVD 1x speed.
    And it isn't likely an 8GB one at that...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hoccomocco View Post
    than one on a USB drive.
    LOL!!!

Don't be picking on the new 1 post wonder!!!

I so had to bite my tongue and fight satan's urges to not be the first one to reply to that post!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest reformatting your flash drive to NTFS; more storage, more stable file system, no 4gig file size limit.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    I suggest reformatting your flash drive to NTFS; more storage, more stable file system, no 4gig file size limit.
    And less compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And less compatibility.
    So buy one for the things that need Fat32 and have another for NTFS. Linux reads NTFS these days. So does the Mac.

Didn't anyone besides me notice that this thread was 2 YEARS old? 2 years ago it made more sense to stick with FAT32 for all flash drives.

Ethelred
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Sony Google TV Play VOB Files, I would like to do this and use dvdfab or something like it that is compatible with flash drives. Can flash drives be mounted to emulate a dvd drive? John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dear RBCC, if you really want that question answered why did you resurrect this twice dead thread to ask that in. It isn't about Google TV as that did not exist the last time this thread was raised from the dead.

Is Necromancy a new Internet fad in Oregon? If so what demons do you need to appease and how are they called up? Do you use a standard pentacle or a circle? Was the sacrifice of a new born thread involved and can I use a test thread to raise threads from the dead or must it be a fully functional thriving thread? How does one sacrifice a thread to a demon? Is Jim Butcher right in his claim that greater power can be gained from older threads? If I do a search for my own name the top result is ancient post on Usenet about a dead author. Can I raise that thread from the dead and gain great power in Science Fiction Fandom?

These and other burning questions need answers. I must know the secret of Raising Dead Threads. Especially Twice Dead Threads as I want to Raise a Thread on the Greatfull Dead about how I can raise the dead from a slice of Jerry's even longer dead finger. Do no ask how I obtained the section of finger as I paid dark prices for it. The answers would destroy all but the strongest of geek minds.

Ethelred Hardrede
    High Norse Priest of Quetzalcoatl
    Keeper of the Cadbury Mini Eggs
    Official Communicant of the GIOA
    Ghost Writer for Zeus
    Budding Forum Necromancer
    Last edited by Ethlred; 24th Apr 2013 at 04:19. Reason: I mispelled the acronym for Giant Invisible Orbiting Aardvark
    Quote Quote  
  19. Nevermind, old thread.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I have to say that Elhlred's post is certainly the most entertaining thing I've seen on the forums in some time. Nicely done!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi,

I have written a software, an exe on Windows and an app on Mac that will get the VIDEO_TS folder from the USB and play the content with the menu preserved. It's essentially a bundle of the VLC video player. You can place the software on the USB with the VIDEO_TS folder on the same USB so there is no need to install any program on the computer. I think this is the best way to distribute old DVD content on USB drive.

You can download the software from CNET download or the link in my signature.
    Play DVD on USB with no software installation.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I googled it and found it. I didn't realize that I created a Lazarus on this!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by newcyberianDVD View Post
    I have written a software, an exe on Windows and an app on Mac that will get the VIDEO_TS folder from the USB and play the content with the menu preserved. It's essentially a bundle of the VLC video player.
    Under Windows you can simply start VLC with an autorun.inf. No need for any other software.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yes, you can simulate CD\DVD storage type with USB flash drive - this is common practice - you need special tool to configure USB to FLASH bridge - after this you will be able to boot and use USB flashdrive as normal USB CD\DVD drive (read only).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the special tool?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Under Windows you can simply start VLC with an autorun.inf. No need for any other software.
    True, for you a computer savvy guy what you said can be easily done. But if you were to distribute a lot of USB drives you won't expect and shouldn't require the recipients of your USB drive to install VLC. That's why I have bundled the VLC portable versions of PC and Mac to eliminate such requirement.
    Play DVD on USB with no software installation.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    What is the special tool?
    Special tool provided by vendor of the USB controller SoC - usually simple USB flashdrives are very complex SoC's and they can have various functionality controlled over this special software.

You can start on this page searching for information's and tools http://www.flashdrive-repair.com/ - sadly i must say those tools are with Chinese documentation (as most of vendors are from Taiwan).

This kind of configuration is common for free advertisement flashdrives (they can be used as R/W devices only partially as usually one of partitions is Read only and it emulate CD).

It is not so easy to change but possible - i bought in past a very cheap flashdrives and restored them to full capacity by such software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjis View Post
    Is it possible to put a DVD onto a flash drive?
    Absolutely!

VOB on fat32, ISO on ntfs formatted drives. I have an older 'Asus' Eee pc. which I have taken to jury duty to use as a (dvd) media player. (Thats about all its good for!) I have 'WinDvd' installed, works just dandy for this. Flash drives work ok, but I prefer SD cards, they dont stick out from the Eee. 16 gigs holds 3 of most movies 'uncompressed'

Typically it takes a long time to copy to the card/flash, reads much faster from card/flash. I have never had problems with media lagging behind playback. (I only have that problem online!)

-corne-

(edit) -> (I forgot to mention, with WinDVD, I 'mount' the images to Slysoft's 'Virtual clone drive')
    Last edited by cornemuse; 14th Oct 2014 at 09:59.
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by newcyberianDVD View Post
    True, for you a computer savvy guy what you said can be easily done. But if you were to distribute a lot of USB drives you won't expect and shouldn't require the recipients of your USB drive to install VLC. That's why I have bundled the VLC portable versions of PC and Mac to eliminate such requirement.
    You don't have to install VLC. You said you're including it on the flash drive. VLC can run as a portable (not installed) application.
    Quote Quote