VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahoy-hoy,

I recently replaced my DVR as, in the end, I could not finalize any of the DVD's. I recorded a lot of important footage (well, important to me, at least) and DVD Decrypter will not read the discs. Is there any possible way to access the VOB files and copy them over to my hard drive so that not at all is lost?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some people have had success with ISOBuster, but I believe the demo will only show you what it can recover, but you have to buy the software to actually recover the files.

Otherwise find someone with the same model and finalise your discs there.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never had success with anything software-wise, you must find a machine to do it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some of our more experienced members insist that it is IMPOSSIBLE to finalize such discs on a PC. Don't hold your breath that ISOBuster will work. Maybe you'll get lucky with it, but probably not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try Nero InCD, it often helps to 'see' vro files from DVD recorders. Its free, so maybe worth a try..

http://www.nero.com/eng/tools-utilities.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm one of the lucky ones with respect to the free version of ISOBuster. I've been able to recover video from unfinalized DVD-R and DVD-RW disks, recorded in video mode. I right click on Track1, in the left-hand pane, and ask it to extract the user data from Track1. That transfers everything on the disk as one large file. If renamed to .mpg, Power DVD can play it. VOBEdit can demultiplex the file as is. I have no difficulty editing the demultiplexed files, or multiplexing them again to produce a normal .mpg.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Renamed Isobuster tao to mpg, my version (xp4) of Power DVD would not play this file. However, Vlc portable played it just fine, including subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No DVD recorder that I have heard of produces subtitled recordings. I know for a fact that VLC doesn't display closed captions, which are often confused with subtitles, and which some DVD recorders can capture. I think you have misunderstood the point of the thread. We're talking about recovering video from unfinalized DVDs originating from a stand-alone DVD recorder. We are not discussing how to view or extract video from an ISO pulled from a DVD made by some other means, that has another problem requiring data recovery.

I have an OEM version of PowerDVD 5.0 that came with my LG burner. That version works for me. VLC will play nearly anything and seems to ignore file extensions when determining how to play the file. Some people will find it to be a good choice for their needs, but since I don't need VLC's special abilities, I don't use it, and have not tried it for this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

Sorry for being naive but my JVC DVD recorder recently broke down. I have some DVDs recorded by my JVC recorder which have not been finalised...

1. Am I correct to think that another brand DVD recorder, say, Sony, will not be able to play those DVDs nor finalise them?

2. If so, is there no way to finalise those DVDs apart from have my JVC recorder fixed?

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or finding a similar model (preferably the same model) JVC to finalise them in.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote