VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have Region 3 DVDs that are in PAL (from Australia) and I want to convert them to .avi files that will play on my regular US dvd player (NTSC) that plays XviD/DivX.

I'm assuming I can use AutoGK 2.40 to convert to XviD .avi regardless (correct?), but is there some advanced setting I need to use (maybe involving frame rate?) so that the .avi files will work and play normal on my dvd player?

Or once they're .avi files, does the whole PAL/NTSC thing not apply?

If that's not possible, and the .avi files will have to also be in PAL, what will they look like played on my dvd player? Or will they play at all? What about on my computer?

I'm hoping I can do with with AutoGK, as I'd rather not install/learn another program.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm assuming I can use AutoGK 2.40 to convert to XviD .avi regardless (correct?)
    Yes, although you might consider upgrading to the latest v2.48.
    but is there some advanced setting I need to use (maybe involving frame rate?) so that the .avi files will work and play normal on my dvd player?
    AVIs of all framerates should play without problem on your standalone. The fact that the source is a PAL DVD shouldn't mean anything.
    Or once they're .avi files, does the whole PAL/NTSC thing not apply?
    That's correct, it no longer applies.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply! That is good to know.

2.48 is a beta version though, right?

What are the updates in 2.48 from 2.40? From what I can tell, based on all the versions listed since 2.40, it's this:
    • DGMpgDec updated to version 1.5.0 beta 12
      XviD build remains the same at CVS 08/12/06
      fixed external subs problem (though this might have been a problem created in a version after 2.40)
      add command line option to start AutoGK in multi-instance mode: "-multi"
      included MPC 6.4.9.0 that does preview now
      compiled with new compiler/libraries
      added option to go to sleep (stand by) mode after encode
      colormatrix filter is updated to version 2.2
      avisynth updated to version 2.5.7
      filters updated to latest versions
      colormatrix uses multiple threads on multiple CPUs
      added hidden option to hide DGIndex
    Of course, I don't know what any of that means...

Anything I'd notice in the final resulting .avi? Particularly in PQ or SQ?

2.40 seems to work really well for me... but I'm curious what I'm missing.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have to admit that I'm also a member of the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it school of thought. Version 2.48 is good. Version 2.40 is also good. The versions in between had problems of one sort or another. If you're happy with what you have, then keep using it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Glad you agree!

But no idea what the actual improvements are in real-world layman terms?
    Quote Quote  
  6. But no idea what the actual improvements are in real-world layman terms?
    Yes, I know what most of it means but don't feel like going through it all. Version 2.48 is the end result of fixing what got broke after version 2.40. That plus a few more-or-less cosmetic improvements.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okey-doke. If anyone else is interested in explaining the updates, I'm all ears!

In the meantime...

manono -- AutoGK-related question... I generally make files using the one-pass @ 75% option, which seems to generate good results (just with lower audio than if you do it the fixed size, 2-pass way). I'm wondering, if I know the file size will be, say 250megs using one-pass, and then I do a two pass and set the final result to be 250megs, am I going to get a better PQ in the end result of the two-pass than the one-pass? Or not that big a deal?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bloomcounty
    I'm wondering, if I know the file size will be, say 250megs using one-pass, and then I do a two pass and set the final result to be 250megs, am I going to get a better PQ in the end result of the two-pass than the one-pass?
    No, it'll just take longer to get to that 250MB result since you're running 2 passes rather than one.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono
    No, it'll just take longer to get to that 250MB result since you're running 2 passes rather than one.
    Gotcha. Thanks!

(I just PM'd you about a separate thing....)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Actually, I didn't PM you, but I'm posting here instead (but I don't know if you're still monitoring this thread, so I'll PM you anyways... Wha--?! )

So I did the conversion, and in the log it says this:

[11/16/2008 8:03:46 PM] Source has percentage of interlacing in motion areas: 5.22
    [11/16/2008 8:03:46 PM] Source is considered to be interlaced.

So does that mean I should choose either of these options in AutoGK (Cntrl-F9)?
    • Force normal IVTC when source is detected as a hybrid
      Force deinterlacing when source is detected as a hybrid

...Maybe not the first, but the second since it is detected as interlaced? Or are either of those options only if it detects it as a hybrid?

Also, I was wondering if there was a Freeware good/simple program (spyware/malware/ad free; does not call home, relatively small, works okay with XP SP2) that allows you to edit the .avi files generated by AutoGK? (I'd like to split apart the final .avi into episodes -- was not able to convert them individually.)

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod (I prefer the latter) are free and can be used for editing. In my opinion the way they do editing is not very intuitive. I searched on the internet for instructions and after finding some I was able to use it with only a minor problem. It wasn't frame accurate so I had to move my desired edit point a little, but it worked OK. I'm guessing that is because it can only edit on key frames, but that's just a guess. I could also have simply just botched it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. So does that mean I should choose either of these options in AutoGK (Cntrl-F9)?

Force normal IVTC when source is detected as a hybrid
    Force deinterlacing when source is detected as a hybrid
    It means that, unless you know how to analyze the source yourself, you leave the Hidden Options alone (that's why they're hidden), and let AutoGK do what has to be done.
    I'd like to split apart the final .avi into episodes
    I use VDubMod, included in AutoGK. As jman98 says, you can only cut on keyframes, and there's a problem because of the B-Frames as you often can't actually see the right spot where you'll be cutting. I play the AVI and find the place by time where I want to cut and then find the nearest keyframe by time as well, rather than by what it's showing me. If you need frame accurate cutting figure out how to do it using the most recent VDubs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by manono
    I use VDubMod, included in AutoGK. As jman98 says, you can only cut on keyframes, and there's a problem because of the B-Frames as you often can't actually see the right spot where you'll be cutting. I play the AVI and find the place by time where I want to cut and then find the nearest keyframe by time as well, rather than by what it's showing me. If you need frame accurate cutting figure out how to do it using the most recent VDubs.
    So I already have this program if I have AutoGK 2.4? How do I access it? And is there a guide that shows how to use it for what I want to do? (I don't need frame accurate splits.)

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. How do I access it?
    Maybe look in the VDubMod folder in your AutoGK install? It's VirtualDubMod.exe
    And is there a guide that shows how to use it for what I want to do?
    http://www.doom9.org/vdubmod-procedures.htm

Scroll down to "Editing".
    Quote Quote  
  15. Sweet! I'll check it out!
    Quote Quote