VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok

So I have a DVD in which has 3 split VOB files. I used DVD Decryptor to rip the VOBs, then I used Gordian Knot to reencode the VOBs to one XVID video file in an MKV container.

What I want to do is take the XVID video stream and pull it out of the MKV, cut it into 3 smaller pieces, as there are 3 episodes in the one stream, then put those back in their own MKV container.

As I was typing this I realized that I will have to split the audio files as well so this might not be the best way to do this.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be acheived?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried cut with avidemux? Use video copy and audio copy and the video and audio wont be reconverted.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video is still currently encoding. About 95% on first pass. As soon as its done, I will try avidemux and see what happens. I opened the program, and I dont know if it will do anything with the MKV itself though. Since the MKV is a container, is there a way to just pull something out of the MKV kind of like dragging it out of a folder? Or will avidemux actually work with the MKV ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes avidemux supports .mkv

To answer your other question: yes, you can extract contents from .mkv with mkvextractgui

It would be easier input your decrypted vob's into avidemux and use it to do everything. It will append the vob's into 1 big movie, but you can encode sections with xvid using the mark in/mark out (you can even use x264 or dozens of other choices), or encode the whole thing

If you already have an encoded xvid in .mkv, use Baldrick's suggestion which is very easy to do as well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so avidemux works great for splitting those VOBs up. My question now is.....when I try to run the IFO through VOBsup Rip, the Subs show up as undefined, and dont seem to rip correctly.

Is there some other process I can do to get the subtitles out of the VOBs ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can split without separate muxing and demuxing simply by using MKVMergeGUI, included in the mvkmerge package. It handles MKV files in a much more stable manner than Avidemux. Just figure out the two times at which you want to separate the files and place the values, separate by a comma, in the "Timecodes" field of the "Splitting" section of the "Global" tab.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So kind of not what I was looking for.

The DVD is split into 3 VOBs. 2 are 1GB and the last one is about 800Mb. If I open the IFO for those in VOBsub Rip, it reads them as if it sees the subtitle stream, but they are labeled as undefined. Does that happen sometimes?

Should the subtitle stream be seperate for each episode on the DVD? Is there a guide or something like advanced techniques to pulling subtitles out of a DVD ?
    Quote Quote