VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which program seems to be the best at decrypting or ripping a DVD for backup? I have Nero V8 installed as my burning software am running Vista premium as OS.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab HD Decrypter is free, and constantly updated. Why not give it a try? If you don't like it, you go down the list and try different freeware and trialware.

Also, there is a better freeware disc burning utility than Nero. It's called ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD FAB5 is not free. You have a 30 day trail.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab may be a little confusing to the first time user. After downloading and installing the application, you will be given a choice among DVDFab Gold, DVDFab Platinum, or DVDFab HD Decrypter. For the totally free option, select DVDFab HD Decrypter which has the same decryption capability as Platinum or Gold. The major limitations regarding DVDFab HD Decrypter are;
    Only two ripping options; full disc and movie only.
    Cannot be used to burn to DVD; it only allows the user to rip to the hard drive.

If you want additional ripping options and/or the capability to burn to DVD using DVDFab, you will need to use either DVDFab Platinum or DVDFab Gold. With either, you get a 30 day full function trial including updates.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Free rippers:
    DVDDecrypter will rip 90% of today's DVD's,the only ones that will give you trouble are Sony Pictures and Lionsgate.(no longer updated)
    DVDShrink will rip 60% of today's DVD's but will shrink once you have ripped files.(no longer updated)
    DVDFab HD Decrypter will rip 99% of today's DVD's and is constantly being updated.
    If you can't rip a full disc then try ripping only the main movie.

For burning I recommend ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD works for all my stuff .... I also like using CloneDVD2 .... comes in handy to remove the stuff on a DVD I dont want or need ... trailers ... special features .... I bought both for $68 bucks ... a few years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I make back-up safe copies of my DVDs (usually to watch on a portable player when I travel), I do the following:

1. Rip the full disc to hard drive using DVDFab HD Decrypter.
    2. If the movie is to end up on DVD-5, I open the ripped movie folder with DVD Shrink. Then I use the Reauthor mode to just get the main movie with the main English soundtrack and subtitles. I will let Shrink then handle the compression to fit a DVD-5 (usually minimal, once the extras are removed).
    3. Burn to disc using ImgBurn.

All 3 of those programs are free. (I don't use the full blown DVDFab since Shrink will take care of removing extras.)

I sometimes use plain old DVD Decrypter for ripping, but since it hasn't been updated for a long time, it won't rip a lot of newer discs. DVD Shrink is also a ripper, but hasn't been updated for a long time either.
    Quote Quote