VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I saw screenshots of high quality, dvds, before and after the noise removal, and the pictures looked, perfect, can someone tell me, how do i find such a program?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What type of noise? You would have to better describe it, or post a screen shot that shows it. To reduce noise, you use a filter suited to your particular problem. However, filters are made to remove something, and you may lose video quality in the process. Unless you start with a high quality source you may not see much improvement.

I usually extract the video file from the DVD with a program like VOB2MPG to create a single MPEG file of the video. There aren't many filters that work well with MPGs, so I convert to a AVI type format for advanced filtering. Most often DV-AVI, but other formats, like HuffyUV are lower loss, but take up a lot of hard drive space.

I use Virtual Dub as it has lots of filters available. AVISynth is a better program, but a bit harder to learn. After filtering, I re-encode to MPEG, then reauthor. That's two encodes, with each one having some quality loss. That's why a high quality source helps. Otherwise you may end up with a 'clean' video of very low quality.

Lots of other ways to do this. Look in our Restoration Forum for some ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VirtualDub with the NeatVideo plugin(not cheap) works very well too. You can then frameserve it over to TMPGEnc and skip a step. It(NeatVideo) is painfully slow though.
    Your best bet would be to do "video only" too because of the "lag" factor.
    Quote Quote