VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

The end result that I'm trying to get from DVDs is an AVI with two audio streams (English and Japanese) and two subtitles (English and Japanese). I'll burn several of these to a data DVD and then watch them on my TV, which is just a regular 27" TV (not LCD or Plasma).

I'll put the steps I go through below. Can anyone suggest any simpler or better steps? Also, I have a few questions. I apologize for the length of this post.

1. Fairuse Wizard 2.9.
    -Create a new project in Fairuse Wizard 2.9.
    -Choose the appropriate stream.
    -Allow it to capture the stream to my hard drive.
    -Auto set the cropping region.
    -Check "Include subpicture" (English) and "Extract it."
    -Autodetect Native Mode or IVTC.
    -Choose DIVX *
    -Choose size to approximately 10x the minutes runtime. So if the video is 2 hours, I choose 1200 MB.
    -Choose "Two pass."
    -Set encoding speed all the way to the right (quality).
    -Add audio streams such that I have both English and Japanese. Set them to MP3 at 160 kb/s.
    -Check "Use TV Mode."
    -Use the suggested resolution size.
    -Defer processing.
    -Follow all of the same steps again except this time choose to extract Japanese subtitles. **
    -Defer processing.
    -Allow both sessions to process.

2. SubToSup 0.9 Beta ***
    -Convert only the second IDX/SUB file (Japanese) to SUP.

3. DVDSubEdit 1.5 ***
    -Choose the SUP file.
    -Run OCR.
    -Save the file as SRT.

4. sub2divx 3.3.3. ****
    -Choose either of the AVI files (they both have dual audio streams).
    -Add the first IDX/SUB file (English)
    -Add the SRT file (Japanese)
    -Create the DIVX.

That's it.

Here's my observations/questions:

*I plan to test the difference in quality between XVID and DIVX. Any suggestions/comments? Also, can an XVID AVI file contain multiple audio streams and multiple subtitles?

** I wouldn't have to run a second session in Fairuse Wizard to extract the second subtitle if Fairuse Wizard allowed me to extract multiple subtitles at a time. That would save me several hours.

*** I wouldn't have to convert the second IDX/SUB to SUP and then to SRT if multiple IDX/SUB files could be added to DIVX files. From what I understand, you can add multiple SRT files, but only one IDX/SUB file. I believe that IDX/SUB files can have multiple subtitles within them, but that is a whole different story. Bottom line - when I tried to use sub2divx to add multiple IDX/SUB files to a DIVX, it always failed. So did AVISUB.

**** Does running an AVI file through a program like sub2divx decrease the quality of the video? I've already processed the video once through Fairuse Wizard, so I'm not too happy about having to process it again.

Thank you very much and I really look forward to any replies.

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  2. Also, can an XVID AVI file contain multiple audio streams and multiple subtitles?
    Multiple audio, yes. The multiple subs isn't an XviD question as they're external, but the answer's also "yes".
    I wouldn't have to run a second session in Fairuse Wizard to extract the second subtitle if Fairuse Wizard allowed me to extract multiple subtitles at a time.
    AutoGK can create IDX/Sub files with multiple languages.
    From what I understand, you can add multiple SRT files, but only one IDX/SUB file.
    You understand wrong, at least in principle. Maybe that's a limitation of FU, but I wouldn't know as I don't use it.
    I've already processed the video once through Fairuse Wizard, so I'm not too happy about having to process it again.
    That's silly, a waste of time, and degrading to the video, processing it twice. Even if you're married to FU, you can easily create your own IDX/SUB files with as many languages as there are on the DVD. I'm assuming here that you're not actually burning 2 different languages into the video, but keeping the IDX/SUB files separate and external. You weren't very clear about that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's silly, a waste of time, and degrading to the video, processing it twice. Even if you're married to FU, you can easily create your own IDX/SUB files with as many languages as there are on the DVD. I'm assuming here that you're not actually burning 2 different languages into the video, but keeping the IDX/SUB files separate and external. You weren't very clear about that.
    Right. I'm not burning the subtitles into the video -- I'm just packaging both into the AVI container. I wasn't clear on that...sorry!

That's the whole reason I have to use the 2nd, 3rd and 4th software -- because I want a single AVI file with both subtitles contained within.

Sub2divx is the software that packages multiples subtitles into the AVI file. Does anyone know if when it does that it is losing quality?
    Quote Quote  
  4. That's the whole reason I have to use the 2nd, 3rd and 4th software -- because I want a single AVI file with both subtitles contained within.
    My suggestion is to make the AVI with no subs at all, create the IDX/SUB file yourself with the 2 languages, and then mux the subs into the AVI. Just muxing subs won't degrade the AVI.

If FU won't create a 2-audio AVI in one try (I wouldn't know if it can or cannot do that), then, as I mentioned, AutoGK can easily create a 2-audio AVI. It can also create an external 2-language IDX/SUB file. Then you can mux the subs into the AVI later on using AVIMux GUI or whatever.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fairuse Wizard can make a dual audio avi.
    Just extract all the subs with it and then convert them after it all said and done.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes - Fairuse Wizard can make dual audio and that's why I love it.

Unfortunately, it only allows to extract one subtitle at a time! I wish it could two and that would save me a lot of time!
    Quote Quote  
  7. But that's my point - it takes next to no time at all to get a 2-sub IDX/SUB file using VobSub Configure or somesuch. Here's a guide:

http://www.doom9.org/dvobsub.htm

Then mux them after the AVI has been created
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well when I have used FU and I clicked only extract subs they are all pulled out.
    Tehn I just used SubRip to convert them into either a srt or a ssa.

And it can alo do sub. At least the save option says so.
    I have never don Japanese subs before
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, schwarznavy, if you disable BBCode in your posts, the 'quote' function won't work correctly, along with other similar functions. Unless you are doing it for a reason.
    Quote Quote