VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have downloaded an AVI file that's 700MB. I use Sonic MyDVD to burn DVDs but it will not open the file. I have converted AVI to MPEG using Prism Video Converter, but then MyDVD shows the file too big to fit on DVD. With an overage of about 1200MB. So I've used Rejig to shrink the MPEG file and it separates Audio from Video. I've remuxed them using ImagoMPEG Muxer and the end result is the correct size but the Audio and Video are out of synch. Audio is far behind video. I'm looking for a better method and/or solution using freeware/shareware. I've searched and tried and I can't seem to get it right. I'm not very experienced so step by step instructions would be great if possible. Thank you so much in advance. This site has taught me alot that I had no clue about
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know anything about your Prism converter, but I'd say your bitrate was too high for your MPEG-2 conversion. You might want to try DVD Flick, or ConvertXtoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay I have DVD flick and I've tried it maybe I did it wrong. I will try again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FAVC is good too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried DVD flick and got the same result....overage of about 1200MB. Is there a program that can shrink a file without demuxing it? Or is there another way I could go about all of this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Three questions:

What is the running time of the video?

What bitrate are you using for the MPEG-2 encode?

What is the final size of the mpg file (or VIDEO_TS folder)?
    Quote Quote  
  7. You didn't, by chance, accidently convert the audio to PCM WAV audio?

It would be much better for you to figure out where you're going wrong (and it is you at fault, and not the program) than to shrink the overlarge result.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good point, manono (and overlooked by me). The audio should be converted to ac3. MLPoison911, you need to look at this as well as your video bitrate setting. The software should be fine -- it's the settings that are giving you problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no doubt in my mind that's its me and not the program. As I said I'm very new to this. I followed the online guides for both converters from the links on this site and followed them as they said, but I'm guessing you are correct and there are other settings that I needed to do. That's why I am here to figure out what that is I need to change. The original AVI file has a duration of 1:45:43 Bitrate 122kbps and the audio format is MPEG layer 3. I will have to get back to you on the converted file as I have deleted it and I am going to try again and see if there are other settings that I could change. I'm pretty sure that the audio was converted to ac3. So do you think that it is the bitrate that I need to lower? Sorry to be such a problem, just trying to figure out all this. Thanks again for helping me
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using DVD Flick I selected auto fit for video and audio bitrate to 4.3 GB DVD. The size of the file after converting was 4.08GB. But it also made a video_ts folder that has five .99GB mpeg files. I'm not sure what that this, but I'm sure it is important.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MLPoison911
    The size of the file after converting was 4.08GB. But it also made a video_ts folder that has five .99GB mpeg files. I'm not sure what that this, but I'm sure it is important.
    Congratulations....
    You now have an official DVD....just burn it with ImgBurn using the "write files/folders to a disc" option.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure what you were expecting, but like hech54 said, you just made a DVD-compliant video. DVD Flick did what it was supposed to do. Using ImgBurn, just drop that VIDEO_TS folder in, and let it go!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow thanks guys. I didn't know you could use a folder to burn. Every DVD i've ever made was one file. Thank you again! You have helped tremendously!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same issue. I was transferring old home videos using Pinnacle Moviebox and Pinnacle studio16, saved to my pc, and when I was going to save it to DVD I get a message not enough room on the disk. I bought DVD+RW 4x 120 minutes and DVD+R DL 8x 240 minutes DVDs. I didn't understand if one video was around 1 hour 45 minutes, why it won't fit on one of those.

I tried DVD Flick (shows up as Video converter) and it didn't have some of the options mentioned above. Did it twice, took forever, and did not work. Then I used Convert XToDvd5 and it worked, only it took forever and my pc made a lot of sounds as if it was too much for my cpu/system, It was using over 100% cpu usage.

What specs do you need to have to run Convert XtoDvd5? I don't want to abuse my pc I have 4.00 GB, Vista Home Premium (yes i know i need to upgrade lol), and Intel Premium (R) Dual E2220 @ 240 GHz, 64 bit OS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As long as fans within the case are working, not choking in dust, any PC
    should do the job. It will just take much longer on a lower spec PC.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chattbutterfly View Post
    I had the same issue. I was transferring old home videos using Pinnacle Moviebox and Pinnacle studio16, saved to my pc, and when I was going to save it to DVD I get a message not enough room on the disk. I bought DVD+RW 4x 120 minutes and DVD+R DL 8x 240 minutes DVDs. I didn't understand if one video was around 1 hour 45 minutes, why it won't fit on one of those.

I tried DVD Flick (shows up as Video converter) and it didn't have some of the options mentioned above. Did it twice, took forever, and did not work. Then I used Convert XToDvd5 and it worked, only it took forever and my pc made a lot of sounds as if it was too much for my cpu/system, It was using over 100% cpu usage.

What specs do you need to have to run Convert XtoDvd5? I don't want to abuse my pc I have 4.00 GB, Vista Home Premium (yes i know i need to upgrade lol), and Intel Premium (R) Dual E2220 @ 240 GHz, 64 bit OS
    Your original video from Pinnacle Moviebox and Pinnacle Studio may use a bit rate that falls within the DVD spec, but is still too high for 1 hour and 45 minutes of video to fit on one dual-layer disc or isn't actually DVD compatible at all. If you were transferring VHS tapes, the picture will contain a lot of noise, and encoding a noisy picture requires a higher bit rate than one that has very little noise.

Your CPU is a little out of date, but is not terrible. You may have other processes running during the conversion that contribute to the high CPU usage. Download and run Process Explorer. Is there a process other than "System Idle Process" that is using significant CPU resources when you are not running any other programs? ("System Idle Process" is just the name for what the system is doing when it's not doing anything. It exists to make the total add up to 100%.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Feb 2014 at 11:41.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    WOW!!
    Dug up a 5 year old thread!!

It was using over 100% cpu usage
    Now how exactly do you get your CPU to run over 100% ?!?!
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Davexnet – thanks, it is probably due for cleaning again, so I will do that.

usually_quiet – thanks for the tips also. I will run Process Explorer because there were a lot of things running, but the Convert XToDvd5 was using the highest amount.

What would be the best PC specs and tools in your opinion when converting numerous videos; VHS, VHS-C, Hi8, Mini DV, etc.?

FYI When I converted the Hi8 video using Pinnacle it had saved the video files as an AVI format.

When I used the Convert XtoDvd5, I used a short video to test it, so I still do not know if I can fit the longer videos on those DVDs or not. I am going to try one evening this week.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Davexnet – thanks, it is probably due for cleaning again, so I will do that.

usually_quiet – thanks for the tips also. I will run Process Explorer because there were a lot of things running, but the Convert XToDvd5 was using the highest amount.

What would be the best PC specs and tools in your opinion when converting numerous videos; VHS, VHS-C, Hi8, Mini DV, etc.?

FYI When I converted the Hi8 video using Pinnacle it had saved the video files as an AVI format.

When I used the Convert XtoDvd5, I used a short video to test it, so I still do not know if I can fit the longer videos on those DVDs or not. I am going to try one evening this week.
    It's easy to fit 6 hours of video on a DVD. Whether you can live with the result in terms of the reduced
    picture quality due to drastically lower bit-rates, only you can decide.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a converter software that you feel is better than Convert XtoDvd5? I used the trial version to test it. I don't want to buy before checking other options.

Do you have any advice on better transferring proccesses than Pinnacle moviebox & software? I have the camcorders and audio/video cables.

I don't plan on putting more than 2 or 2 1/2 hours on a DVD. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a converter software that you feel is better than Convert XtoDvd5? I used the trial version to test it. I don't want to buy before checking other options.

Do you have any advice on better transferring proccesses than Pinnacle moviebox & software? I have the camcorders and audio/video cables.

I don't plan on putting more than 2 or 2 1/2 hours on a DVD. Thanks
    AVStoDVD works well for a lot of our members, myself included. It will try to encode the video and audio to fit the size of the DVD media you choose. I can't tell you if it will be faster, slower, or the same as anything else that you have tried.

There likely are better capture options than what you are using. The make and model of the camcorders would be useful information for those trying to help you. The list of good choices will be determined by the exact nature of what you are trying to capture. For example, the best option for capturing DV is to transfer the video to a PC as is using Firewire, while analog tape formats would be captured using a SD capture device and software.
    Quote Quote