VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I've just registered in this forum because I need serious help with a little issue about subtitles in DVDLab Pro.
    I've made a nice and simple DVD project (this is my first experience with this software) which has an essential structure: 3 menus (main, chapters, languages), 1 video track, 2 audio tracks (Italian and English), 3 subtitles (2 Italian and 1 English).

My purpose is to set the first Italian subtitle by default, I mean: I insert the disc, I select (from the main menu) "Start Movie" and it starts with Italian audio track + Italian first subtitle.
    I've tried with 'Set this subtitle always ON by default' option but the result is that if I select another subtitle (or none) from the language menu it still remains! The only way to change sub is to select it manually, but it's not professional

Can you help me?

Here's another purpose: I'd like to select the 'combo' Italian audio + Italian first subtitle with one click, from the language menu. This is because this subtitle is 'forced', which means that should be always active (by default) with ITALIAN track, and it should be activated by selecting the audio track, as in the commercial DVDs (where forced subtitles aren't 'clickable' in any menu but they're there!).

If you have understood this second purpose, please help me with this, too :P

Thanks a lot in advance

P.S.: I'm Italian, so excuse me if my English isn't perfect :P
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you set subtitles always ON, they are so called "forced" subtitles. You will not be able to turn them off, as you can see.
    What you want, to make sound tied to subtitles, it will require DVD commands using register value, which will tie it together.
    For that you can use PgcEdit (free) or DVD ReMake Pro (~$30), that one is little easier to use.
    This is done after you compile project.
    You can do it in Lab also, but with its abstract layer (pre programed commands), it is not that easy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Er... I thank you a lot for the infos
    But could you be more precise :P ?
    I need a step-by-step guide (for example, with PGCedit) 'cause I know nothing about DVD commands, IFOs, etc.

Please!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry.
    I am afraid, if you do not know anything about commands, it will be difficult to lead you through, because the way your DVD is structured.
    If you intend to do more of the same, than I would suggest to get some info on DVD structure and start learning.
    Good one is this
    http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/productinfo.php

I found something in my data collection, hope it give you some idea.

http://www.videoproductions.com.au/html/dvd-lab-pro1.html

You can use it to set Audio and Subtitles to be selected by one button.
    In the same VM command box set apropriate subtitle to open together with audio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot!
    Unfortunately, it seems very difficult to me

Isn't there any possibility to have at least some advices with PGCedit or DVDRemake Pro to do that?
    I mean... ok, I won't make a 'double link' (audio+sub), but I need at least to set a subtitle by default

Please!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think Lab will be easier for you.
    Insert VM Command box in connection window.
    Open it and choose script.
    Insert this command

Code:
    SetSTN (audio=1 subp=1:on )
    This is if your audio is first line and subtitle in first line, if different you have to insert corresponding numbers.

Than make your button for that option to link to VM command box and end link VM box to the movie.
    You can have few different VM boxes for different combinations, each connected to appropriate button and end link to same movie.
    VM Box should be created in VTS Domain. Same as your movie.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinker
    I think Lab will be easier for you.
    Insert VM Command box in connection window.
    Open it and choose script.
    Insert this command

Code:
    SetSTN (audio=1 subp=1:on )
    This is if your audio is first line and subtitle in first line, if different you have to insert corresponding numbers.

Than make your button for that option to link to VM command box and end link VM box to the movie.
    You can have few different VM boxes for different combinations, each connected to appropriate button and end link to same movie.
    VM Box should be created in VTS Domain. Same as your movie.
    Thanks a lot, that's the kind of help I needed

Ok, that's what I did according to your advice:

- in Connections window, I clicked Connection -> Add -> Add Command Object... -> In VTS Domain
    - I double clicked the VM Command Box (it is a gray box with VM written in it, isn't it?) and Script, then I inserted the string as you wrote it
    - I clicked Link and linked it to the movie
    - in the Option menu, I linked the 'Italian' button to Command 1

It partially works, because:

1) if I play movie from the main menu, it starts 'normally' (no subtitle )
    2) when I select 'Italian' button in Option menu the movie starts but with the SECOND subtitle and SECOND audio selected (I think because 1 stands for second position; 0 should be for the first, right?)

Now I'm doing another try with 0 instead of 1 in the script, and Menu 5 (Option Menu) instead of Movie in the link (I don't want the movie to start when I select 'Italian'), but still remains the problem of activating first subtitle by default (not with 'Italian' button).

Please, help me again
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for stream numbers. I know the streams start from 0, but Lab has them as 1, since I do not use Lab for command edit I was not so sure how it interprets commands.
    I do not understand what you want by clicking on Main Movie in first menu.
    In your first post, you wanted to start as Italian audio + Italian subs.
    If you want Main Movie start any other way, than use VM command box with setting combination you want.

Mind you this is not a fool proof set up, because if you have a Main Menu with Chapter button and you go to chapters and start from there, than main movie will start with first audio track and no subtitles.

If you can attach a screen shot of connection window with some explanation what you want, it may help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I try to explain with words but if necessary I'll post an image

From now, I use a name, Paul, to identify a generic user :P

Paul wants to play the DVD I'm making.
    When he inserts it in the player (it could be a PC, too), the MAIN menu shows 3 options: Play Movie (the movie starts), Options (where to change audio/sub settings), Chapters (you know).
    Despite his name (), Paul is Italian, and its DVD 'is' Italian, so when he pushes 'Play Movie' the movie starts in Italian, plus a subtitle track for some scenes in English (as it happens in commercial DVDs when there are scenes in some other language: think of "The Lord of the Rings", when Aragorn and Arwen -or others- talk Elven language ).
    Paul should simply be able to see the movie, in Italian, with this 'partial' subtitle when it clicks 'Play Movie'. Ok?

Well.
    Another day, he wants to see it in English, so he inserts the DVD but this time, from the main menu, he chooses 'Options'. Then, in the option menu, there are 6 buttons:

1) Audio: ITALIAN
    2) Audio: ENGLISH
    3) Subtitle: ITALIAN [I mean the 'full' subtitle, not the one mentioned above]
    4) Subtitle: ENGLISH
    5) Subtitle: Off
    6) Main Menu [it is necessary to go back]

So he chooses, for example, English audio + No subtitle, then clicks 'Main Menu' to go back; once again in the main menu, he clicks 'Play Movie' and the movie starts with the new options (English audio and no subtitle).

Ok?

The last case: Paul wants again Italian. While playin' movie, he pushes 'Main Menu' (on remote) to go back to the main menu; then again 'Option'. In here, he chooses the button 1) (ITALIAN), and 'Main Menu' to go back. He pushes 'Play Movie' and the movie starts with Italian language and the 'partial' subtitle activated (even if Paul didn't specify any subtitle); if Paul specified another subtitle (in the option menu), the movie starts with selected subtitle.

Ok, the looong example ends here :P
    That's how I'd like my DVD to work
    I hope it's clear now

Told this, I must say that you gave me a very precious advice: now I can use VM Commands, or at least I started learning them!
    I am now able to set (but ONLY from the OPTION menu!) the 'partial' subtitle automatically with Italian audio: I made a VM Command with the script you gave me (with 0 instead of 1) and end-linked it to the option menu, then I linked the 'Italian' audio button to this VM Command and it works fine!
    Now remains only the other 'quest': to set the first play in ITALIAN + 'partial' subtitle, because if 'Paul' wants to see a movie, generically doesn't need to set a language manually (this happens only if he wants to change the 'default' language).
    I'm thinkin' to make this way: I'd like to insert a VM Command (with the script) box BEFORE the Menu 1 (main menu), just after 'First Play' and 'Title Button', so when 'Paul' inserts the DVD it first sets that 'combo', then goes to the first (main) menu and if Paul clicks 'Play Movie' it starts with that option active.
    Then, from here, he can make all the changes he wants because the VM Command should be 'activated' just the first time, I believe.

Please, tell me now
    1) if you have understood my purpose
    2) if my last idea is a good one
    3) if no, please tell me another solution, I mean ANY! The important is to have a DVD that works that way

Very Special Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What you want is an impossible.
    In movie where people talk different language than native, subtitles are hard coded in video not as subtitle stream, but part of the picture, you cannot turn them ON or OFF.
    If you want to do something like that, you will have to edit subtitles only for scenes where it is appropriate and make them as other stream, which you can choose same way.

To your other requests it will get somehow complicated. You will have to make option buttons like "Italian Subtitle ON,OFF"
    ON and OFF button will set GPRM value and that will be used for selecting combination in Pre Command of a Movie Title.
    Same will go for audio.
    It looks like you realy want to get involved with DVD production, so I would suggest to download PgcEdit and import some commercial DVD into it to see how it is done.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinker
    What you want is an impossible.
    In movie where people talk different language than native, subtitles are hard coded in video not as subtitle stream, but part of the picture, you cannot turn them ON or OFF
    Not at all.
    I have the DVDs of the TV series "Lost", where some characters often speak korean (or japanese, don't remember); well, when I insert a disc of them the first menu (I'd say the TITLE menu, even before the MAIN one) asks me the language; if I choose 'Italian' it sets the audio on Italian and AUTOMATICALLY an Italian subtitle just for the korean parts.
    There's nothing strange!
    It's just another subtitle track, set by default with the Italian language.
    It isn't a 'special subtitle' which turns ON/OFF when (un)necessary.
    If activated, it is ALWAYS active, simply it has no text if noone's speakin' korean
    But it can always be unabled, with the remote (or setting another subtitle).

Got it, now?

Alright.
    Now, I'm PROUD to announce that...

I MADE IT 8)

I did this way:

1) as I said, I've added a VM Command box as ROOT (before Menu 1, then), in which I inserted the script and I endlinked it to Menu 1

2) then, I left every menu as it was, BUT I've changed the action made with 'Menu' button on remote (and in DVD players for PC, as PowerDVD): by default it links to ROOT, but this meant that every time I push 'Menu' on the remote (while in the Option menu or during the movie, for example) it returned to the default settings (Italian audio + subtitle 0). For EVERY menu, I made 'Menu' remote button to link to Menu 1, instead
    So, now, the FIRST time I play the disc, it automatically sets Audio 0 + Sub 0, BUT the other times it will assume the options set in the option menu (or during the playback, with the remote), without altering them

Look, it's more difficult to explain than to do that, I'm sorry but I'm tryin' to express as best as I can
    Here's the picture of my Connection window, I hope you'll have an idea of what I did (notice the 'M' in every menu and in the movie: it links to the Menu1; plus, notice that I've have 2 VM Command boxes, one for 'default' setting, one for audio 0 + subtitle 0 setting in the Option menu) :

click to see the image!

I have to THANK YOU A LOT because I'd never have been able to learn about VM Commands and even if yes, you gave me the right script to activate the audio/subs I needed

Thanks a lot, tinker !!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good You made it.

It's just another subtitle track, set by default with the Italian language.
    It isn't a 'special subtitle' which turns ON/OFF when (un)necessary.
    If activated, it is ALWAYS active, simply it has no text if noone's speakin' korean
    But it can always be unabled, with the remote (or setting another subtitle).
    When I understand subtitled movie I think of it as a foreign with full subtitles, but yes what you see on that TV show is that subs are made only for when people speak other than the language of the the main title.
    That is what I was talking about sub stream with partial subtitles.
    Most of the time it is hard coded in an English movie, but it could be as a separate subtitle track, which is more practical to do in Europe.
    It would be a good idea to load that DVD in PgcEdit and see how it is authored. Since you have progressed to a command line it would help you a lot in next project.
    Usually that is the case. When you go to a multi language title, you set language first and than play the movie.
    But there are many ways to author DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uhm, I'm afraid my method is not the most correct
    It apparently works pretty well, but it has one flaw: the VM Command I set as Root is considered the main title.
    When you play the disc it doesn't matter, but if you want to shrink it with DVDShrink (for example) there is a 'strange' structure. I think it's not a standard one, so I'm going back to my steps.

So, what we were sayin' ?

I repeat my purpose: I need to set a subtitle by default, but it should be possible to change or disable it in the Option menu.

How ?

EDIT: hey, maybe I found something
    Here's a complete guide: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/2cool/subtitles/subtitles_on_de...lt_pgcedit.htm
    I tried it, and it actually works because the movie starts with the desired subtitle as default.
    But I cannot change it from the option menu!
    I mean: I go there (from the main menu), I choose -for example- 'English subtitle' button, then go back to main menu. When I click 'Start movie', it starts again with default subtitle!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to do what you say, you have to use register value.
    Set value on the button where you choose subtitles.
    Than Pre Command in Main title will have to be
    1 If GPRM0 !=1(or what you chose) go to line 4
    2 Set audio,subs to your setting
    3 Brake
    4 If GPRM0 !=2 go to line
    5 and so on for every setting you want.

What is happening that pre command of a title over rides what ever you set before.
    Or when you go back to main menu from your option menu, you set command is not in effect any more.
    Numbers in front are only so you can see what "go to line" does, they are not there.

P.S.
    I forgot that GPRM you can use after DVD Lab is done is from GPRM0 to GPRM9 others are used by its abstraction layer. Unless you delete it all and start from scratch in that case GPRM0 to GPRM18.

In first line should be
    IF GPRM0(or other number till 9) !=1
    Quote Quote