VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does there exist a standalone VHS to DVD recorder that will create AVI or WMV files on the target disc instead of making a standard DVD-Video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it made avi or wmv files, it wouldn't actually be a "DVD recorder." Many of the newer DVD players can handle avi and wmv, but I know of none that record those formats directly. Conversions must be made on the PC first, as far as I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My customer makes camcorder videotapes and their customer is requiring copies as AVI/WMV files. My customer wants to avoid using a computer and would like a standalone solution. I told them I doubt one exists, but I would check.

The machine doesn't necessarily have to have a vhs player in it, as long as it takes a composite input. Or maybe they should replace all of their camcorders, if there exists camcorders that will generate the file formats directly?

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check some of the Security Camera websites. There are a few MPEG4 recorders out there, though they probably record to Flash Memory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy
    Check some of the Security Camera websites. There are a few MPEG4 recorders out there, though they probably record to Flash Memory.
    Yes there are some like that - not to disc but to memory AND without a pc -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8719032&type=product&id=1200702767761

Pinnacle - Video Transfer
    Model: 82301002211 | SKU: 8719032

Product Features

* Compatible with Sony PSP (firmware version 2.81 or higher), iPod video, 3rd-generation iPod nano, iPod classic (FAT32 only, firmware version 1.2.1 or higher) and USB 2.0 hard disk drives (FAT 16/32 only); supports iPod Touch and iPhone via iTunes
    * Transfers videos without a PC from TVs, DVD players, PVRs, camcorders, set-top boxes or gaming consoles
    * One-touch start/stop recording from any video source
    * High-quality MPEG-4 encoding in H.264 at up to 720 x 480/576 resolution
    * Multiple capture options for mobile devices, full-screen PC and even video editing or DVD burning
    * Recharges iPod battery during video transfer (optional cable required, not included)
    * Compact size for easy portability
    * Includes A/V RCA cable, power supply unit and quick-start guide
    * No PC required

Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yoda313, thanks much. It looks like exactly what we need. They can transfer their tapes to a usb flash drive then plug it into a pc to burn a dvd.

If you know of any way to bypass the computer in the last step, please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80
    Many of the newer DVD players can handle avi and wmv
    Really?? I'm aware that some newer DVD players can also play DivX-AVI, but wasn't aware that anybody supported WMV. Do you have an example model name?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jorabi
    Yoda313, thanks much. It looks like exactly what we need. They can transfer their tapes to a usb flash drive then plug it into a pc to burn a dvd.

If you know of any way to bypass the computer in the last step, please let me know.
    I'm afraid not. HOWEVER it does seem to transfer directly to portable players like an ipod. Perhaps if the customer has such a compatible device they'd be willing to lone it and have the files directly transfered and then returned to them????

I think this is probably as close as they can get to save the need of a pc - transferring and then burning a disc should not be difficult at all.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks but I spoke too soon. The Pinnacle saves files in MP4 (H.264) format, which the customer will not accept (typical government agency!). They will only take AVI (divx) or WMV. I guess I'm still looking.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mpack
    Originally Posted by filmboss80
    Many of the newer DVD players can handle avi and wmv
    Really?? I'm aware that some newer DVD players can also play DivX-AVI, but wasn't aware that anybody supported WMV. Do you have an example model name?
    Here you go:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10105640&catid=
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Were you refering to:
    Media Playback JPEG, MP3, WMA, DivX, XVID
    or this line?
    USB port lets you view compressed DivX/WMV/JPEG files from USB keys.
    The first one I believe, the second might be a typo...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, it's on the box as well...wmv playback....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    so just to clarify..they want a dvd recorder that will capture video input, convert it to a .wmv or .divx file, and write it to the DVD as data instaed of standard dvd-video? If so that's a bizarre request and I don't know of anything that will do that without a PC. DVD recorders are made for making DVD compliant video.

Since it's the government, however, instead of buying a $500 PC they'll probably spend $500,000 to have a custom machine built.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, that's it in a nutshell greymalkin! No one would be asking for this in the private sector!
    Quote Quote