VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

I have some .ts files recorded on a Humax PVR 9200 which I would like to edit and process into mkv files. I have edited and demuxed them using Project X so that I am left with 4 files

video: .m2v
    Audio: .mp2
    Subtitle: .sup with .IFO

The problem I am having is muxing the subtitles into the mkv file. The GUI for MKV Merge will not accept the .sup format. Can anyone offer me a different method such as an alternative to MKV Merge? How about if I used the CLI directly? (I have no real knowledge of how to do this but would be interested in learning). Or is the answer that MKV simply doesn't support .sup? I thought it was supposed to wrap anything?

I have had some success in converting the subtitles to IDX/sub but they don't look as good as the originals in VLC and I cannot get the colour info to import anyway. I wouldn't mind maintaining the .ts format but If I tell Project X to output another .ts file rather than demux it rips out the subs? Also all my .ts files seem to contain an extra silent .mp2 track so I like the idea of being able to tidy up the file.

Project X can export .SON subtitles at the same time as the native .sup files so my current solution is going to be an mkv file with the two subtitle formats attached as two .zip files. At least this way I can keep the subtitles with the video for when I need them (DVDs etc). Also does anyone know if it is possible to load external subs to a video in VLC?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe convert to text subtitles? And you can use whatever color and font you like.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, thanks for the reply.

Won't this involve using OCR? The problem is I haven't got the time to check each subtitle for mistakes or has it become more reliable? I would much prefer to retain the original image format(s) for now. It is just a question of how to mux them in to mkv container or by your reply are you saying it is impossibe?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to let anyone else who is interested know, I found this in the Matroska FAQ on the doom9 forums...
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=54306

10) What subtitle types can be muxed into matroska? How can i play them?
    currently SRT, SSA, ASS and Vobsub
    use gabest's VSFilter to play subs on dshow based players
    So that seems to be the answer!

Thanks
    Quote Quote