VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    A friend of mine has spent some hours to copy differents part of Dvd's into a single file on My Archos. I can read it on the Archos but I cannot read it on a PC : I get the message 'Copy protected files' (macrovision protection I think, added by my archos AV700). Do you have any idea to remove this protection from the AVI files ?

Regards.
    Florent
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can you open the files in g-spot or media info ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What program says "copy protected files"? When you try copy them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger, yes I can open the file, with Gspot nothing special, it just tells me it it an avi V1.0 files.
    Baldrick, I get this message when I open the files with a windows Player.
    After hour & hours of research, I understood that the Archos have seen a protection on the DVDs, so when I recorded it on the Archos it had a protection called 'Macrovision'. So I can read it on the Archos system but not on an other system (windows player, etc). So The idea is to remove this protection from the avi file !

Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Don't record with your Archos.

Rip the DVD to your PC with something like DVDFab HD Decrypter (free version). It will remove all protection including Macrovision. Then convert your ripped movie to AVI with something like AutoGK. Transfer the AVI to your Archos. Problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but I know that would have been the good solution, the problem is that the record is done and has taken some hours to my friend : So the question is how to remove the macrovision security from the avi files !
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How does an AVI file even have Macrovision protection? On a DVD, it is just a "flag" in the MPEG header.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Macrovision is an analogue copy protection that the Archos produces when you hook it up to a TV. Windows Media Player is not affected by Macrovision, so your problem lies elsewhere.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have the Archos 605 and i have the same problems . any solution please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a g-spot screenshot of one of these videos
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is GSpot info :

Here is a link to download an exemple of video with problem :

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/florent.gal/test.AVI

By the way, thanks to everybody for your help !

Florent
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you guys need to look for an Archos forum NOT run by the company and ask there. I don't think any of us have ever seen a Macrovision protected AVI file before (I didn't think such was possible) so we are at a loss to help you with this. The DVD tools we use to remove Macrovision won't work on your AVI file.

(I edited my post to add the following, which I found out after posting the above)
    I did a quick web search on the topic on Google and while others have the issue, nobody has a solution other than to play the output of the Archos player through a TBC and record that video output.
    Quote Quote