VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a new customer of att uverse. When I connected my dvd recorder to the uverse stb and then to the tv, the picture on the tv is black/white when the dvd recorder is on. I can record, but only in b/w. I can play a dvd just fine in full color. I and also a technician have tried all different combos of connections and types of cables to no avail.

Is complete loss of color a sign of macrovision encryption in the stb? I do not hit the record button and there is no copyright or error message, just no color. Should I invest in a video stabilizer? From what I have read, stabilizers are mainly for converting vhs to dvd and material when a copyright message is visible.

Equipment is a panasonic plasma and samsung dvdr vr330. I should also note that movies are not my interest. but I like to record college football and other college sports and play back in slow motion and other effects the dvr in the att stb does not offer.

Would appreciate your ideas/comments to my dilemma.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like video setting is incorrect. You don't mention how the devices are connected, but if the stb has multiple outputs, it could be as simple as selecting the correct output (ie: component, HDMI, S-video).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    KK - Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I have tried composite, component, and svideo on all connections and I
    have used all inputs on my tv. The only one I have not tried is HDMI. My dvdr does not have a HDMI connection, but its strange that I can play a dvd just fine in color, but can't record in color.

Do you think the stb (which has a dvr built-in) has macrovision protection? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What output format are you using from uverse box? (ie: 4:3 or 16:9 format) and is this SD or HD? Most likely you are outputing a format your recorder doesn't like.

It isn't macrovision. MV typically causes the picture to fade from normal to dark and back to normal endlessly. A B/W picture sounds like the wrong output is selected. Such as choosing componet output on the uverse box, but using S-Video into the recorder.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    KK - The uverse stb allows you to choose, 1080, 720, widescreen SD and 4x3 SD. My dvdr (samsung vr330) allows choices of 4x3 and 16x9. I have matched and mixed all to no avail. I thought the problem may be the uverse box needs to be on SD because my dvdr is not HD, but when adjusted to those parameters, the problem is still there.

A Panasonic TV rep was out this week and nothing is wrong with the TV. He checked the inputs and connections. ATT has been out before and is due out within the next few days to change my stb to one without the dvr. Also, I tried another dvdr, '08 model, mine is '06,s and the black and white picture was still there. Samsung per telecon can not figure it out either.
    The strange thing is I can play a dvdr in color, but can only record in black and white. As far as connections, I go from the stb to the dvdr with composite and from the dvdr to the tv with components, have also tried composites.
    My dvdr does not have component in terminals. I also have connected the stb to the dvdr with s video and coax.

Thanks again for your suggestions any any further comments you may have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would have ruled out the TV and STB by your initital troubleshooting. Since the problem is only apparent when inputing to the DVD Recorder, the problem is obviously within the DVD Recorder itslef. Since it is recording a signal, it is at least partially working, I can't explain why it would only be B&W. I've only seen that occur when the wrong output type was selected or when feeding PAL into a NTSC box or vice versa.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    KK - ATT tech rep was out again today to verify connections and after conferring with his level 2 counterpart stated it is possible this stb has a protection scheme that is causing the b/w picture, but they were not positive. He verified all connections.

Thanks for your input and interest. I will post when I hear from Motorola, stb manf, whom I emailed asking if stb was copy protected.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you post/peruse here. These folks may be able to answer your questions.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/uverse
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have previously posted on several uverse user forums but will try this one. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by torre
    I have previously posted on several uverse user forums but will try this one. Thanks.
    Motorola states in email that they do not have full technical specs on this stb, but some stbs DO have software that does not enable recording from extenal device
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just for the hell of it. Go directly into the Panasonic from the stb. Go from the Panasonics's video out to your DVR and see what happens. Depending how the Panasonic outputs you may get a clean signal.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, I have tried with same b/w result. The only thing I have not tried is HDMI tv to stb. My dvdr does not have HDMI, only component output. I may try to find a dvdr with HDMI and go stb to dvdr with HDMI. I have not found a dvdr with both in and out HDMI.

When you go to the other uverse forums, others have been successful with a dvdr except for copyrighted programs.
    However, this stb, model 1216, is new and may have different copy protection

Thanks for your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having the same issue-but a little different. I am so tech challenged I have trouble taking the dvd out of the box LOL. I also have uverse and I bought a Toshiba DVR/VHS 620 Recorder-came with a quick guide and a 90 page manual. also has rca cables. I thought it would be easler to hook it up to a newer flatscreen (which has a built in dvr player). I worked on this my entire day off (off and on to vent frustration) just to get it to record because you have to be able to get the instructions on the tv screen to set it up. Long story short I finally got it to record off the dvr to the disc but when I played it back it was b&w. I tried a vhs tape and it was b&w and it was the Lion King so I know it had color. My final combination that got to that point was coax from stb to tv and then rca cables from stb to dvd and rca cables from dvd to tv. Did it have something to do with the rca cables? Should I get composite cables instead? I got so frustrated I unhooked everything from the tv (because someone told me it was probably an issue with the tv and the built in dvr player) and my spent my other day off trying to connect it to the main uverse box and my Hitachi tv which is old but does have connections for rca. Guess what? Nothing!! so should I go back and reconfigure with the flat screen? Or try to connect it to the older tv? And if I do that do I hook the s-cable from the uverse to the dvd and then run rca out from dvd to tv? Will that allow me to record from the DVR to the recorder? And why is it Black and white? It is not the TV when I removed everything the tv is in color
    Last edited by Jacy; 1st Jul 2014 at 10:55. Reason: adding comment
    Quote Quote