VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sansui VRDVD4005 combo that i bought from Sears about 4 years ago. When connected to the TV Cable Service we can burn movies directly to DVD. I recently decided to buy another DVD-VHS Recorder for another room.
    Went to Best Buys and purchased a new one. Now when i try to do the same thing, record a movie from cable, it says the movie is encrypted and it cannot make a copy..but my other unit still works fine....Is this new encryption? Does anyone know of a unit that will work. Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What channels are you trying to record? What make and model of recorder are you using?

Two thread similar to yours have appeared this weekend. There's something called CPRM that seems to be causing lots of problems for people using newer DVD recorders. CPRM itself isn't new, but more and more recorders are being sold that can detect the broadcast flags that activate it. It's a form of copy protection that until recently has mostly been used for premium content in the USA. Now it has shown up unexpectedly on other channels, sometimes during commercials.

Most major brand-name recorders sold since 2005 look for the broadcast flags. Check your manual to see if using the VR recording mode with a particular type of media will allow you to record programming flagged as "copy once" There's also a "copy always" and a "copy never" flag, but the one doesn't matter, and the other you can't do anything about.

I don't think there are any DVD recorders currently being sold in the U.S. that would not detect the problem broadcast flags. The brands I know of that did ignore it in the past have voluntarily left the US market.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a Sansui VRDVD4005 combo DVD and VCR. and it works perfect on anything i want to record.

I just can't find another unit that will work...

It will record on all local and cable channels
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You won't find any new DVD recorders made for the US market that don't react to the copy protection measures that are sometimes present in broadcast or cable programming. Sorry I did not make that 100% clear before.

I was asking about the make and model of the new recorder that did not work. Your new recorder is probably capable of recording most of the local and cable programming that you've had trouble with, if the correct type of DVD media is used, and recordings are in VR mode. Premium and PPV content would be the exception. You may not be able to record some of that under any circumstances.

It's broadcast network TV programming or commercials that were designated as "copy once" for some unknown reason which have been causing most of the reported problems lately. The media you can use to record "copy once" material varies, and should be spelled out in your user manual, if you want to take the time to find it. Programs that are designated "copy never" won't record. There is nothing you can do about that. You should also be aware that anything that was designated "copy once" can't easily be copied from its original DVD disk, but you'll be covered as far as time-shifting goes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks... I appreciate the help. I hope nothing happens to the one i got...LOL
    Quote Quote