VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I likely have missed it somewhere but I have searched old posts and the most recent discussion on this topic is about a year old and the number of programs available has grown in leaps and bounds. AutoMKV would appear to do what I want but is more complex than I would like, plus trying to figure out what all components I need to get it to work properly has me stumped.

I have started to migrate my DVD collection to an online media server but would like to take advantage of the higher compression possible with X/H.264 along with retaining compatibility with Media Center Extenders. My current Vob files contain two languages dialoges (English & French) along with two Subtitle Tracks (English & French). I don't want to have ot hard burn the subs - I find them distracting when not required.

I definately want to retain my 5.1 Audio & it would be nice (but not necessary if the solution supported conversion from DTS audio tracks (I don't ask me why when I had a bunch of old movies covereted from VHS to DVD the audio was done as DTS only... i.e. no AAC of AC3 audio tracks).

In summary my 'ideal' package would:

1) Not cost a whole lot (the solution does not have ot be freeware, but it would be nice)
    2) Support minimum of 2 Audio Tracks
    3) Support minimum of 1 (preferrably 2) switchable subtitles
    4) Support 5.1 Audio (preferrably a choice of Dolby 5.1 (mkv) and AAC (mp4)).
    5) Perferably audio conversion from DTS (but not required)
    6) Preferably easy to install (or at least clear installation instructions)
    7) EASY to use

Does anyone know of any package
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AutoMKV and MeGUI(even more complex but very handy when you know how to use it) are the only tools that I know that will support something like that.

Maybe Ripbot264 also but I don't if it supports dual audio tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really liked Ripbot264 but I couldn't get it to pull out the subtitles from vobs. Was only able to get it to work with AVI which had seperate subscript files. Do you know if I am doing something wrong or if you neeed to install VirtualDub and pre rip the subtitles as a seperate step before using running RipBot? It is not 'ideal' as seems to be limited to only one sould track but otherwise seemed a great product.

Are their clear install instructions somewhere for AutoMKV / MeGUI which describe what additonal 'support' software needs to be installed (such as the components needed for AC3 & DTX support) and any special settings required in the support software?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM

I now have MeGUI almost working - after playing with it a couple of hours have it nearly figured out. I posted a seperate posting as I thought that the question was different - it wasn't 'which program can do this' but rather a question regarding MeGUI asking how exactly do I setup MeGUI in order to get it to pull the sub titles from a vob and include them in an MKV/MP4 file without hard coding them into the video stream.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to know which of these applications can control the output .mkv size (the way AutoGK does with .avi). Say, I put the preferred .mkv size, audio bitrate, and the application will adjust the video bitrate accordingly.
    Quote Quote