VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the thread

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358806.html

someone said: "Photogregor, buy the DVD."

My answer is: No. And even a child could see that this was not the question.

And many thanks to the user named "usually_quiet" for his incomparably more intelligent comment.

Thanx and regards,
    Photogregor
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no need to start a new topic for the forum. Stick with your original topic:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358806.html

You are new here. The answer you did not like is one that came from a moderator for this site. This site does not help people who download copyrighted material illegally.

Buy the DVD or don't post here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you can show that the download was legitimate you can PM the mod that locked your thread and plead your case. But they will not and should not condone breaking the rules of the site. The rules were set to keep Videohelp from coming under attack by the powers that be, so that it can remain helpful to all of us video enthusiasts.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. explain how you got it for free.amazon.com is selling it for $19
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    If you can show that the download was legitimate you can PM the mod that locked your thread and plead your case.
    Hmm. In my country only public prosecutors are persons, who someone pleads his case. What a forum is this?

The rules were set to keep Videohelp from coming under attack by the powers...
    Very brave. Is this forum located in China??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MJA
    explain how you got it for free.amazon.com is selling it for $19
    He never claimed to have acquired it for free, only that he downloaded it. Since there are now sites that offer paid downloads for some copyrighted material it might possibly be legit, but it's certainly understandable for a Mod to err on the side of caution. Of course, if it wasn't acquired legitimately then best forget the whole matter and never bring it up again.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80
    This site does not help people who download copyrighted material illegally.
    Who told you that I downloaded something illegaly? Don't buckle too much only because industry wants to earn more money and public prosecutors are their willingly beadles.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Photogregor
    Hmm. In my country only public prosecutors are persons, who someone pleads his case. What a forum is this?
    It was just a figure of speech meaning to explain your position and show how your download was legal and above board.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Photogregor
    If you can show that the download was legitimate you can PM the mod that locked your thread and plead your case.

The rules were set to keep Videohelp from coming under attack by the powers...
    Very brave. Is this forum located in China??
    you forgot your friendly MPAA, RIAA
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fine. Let us know the pay site where you downloaded the movie, and we'll help ya out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was just a figure of speech meaning to explain your position and show how your download was legal and above board.
    Certainly it was a "figure of speech". Don't you realize how you're making yourself to auxiliary persons for those who want first to make the rest of the world addicted to their products and afterwards press out as much money as they can? Just because someone COULD have downloaded a video from the internet - what nearly everyone does??

Think about the difference between "justice", "legal" and "shareholder concern".

Have some cojones. Don't knuckle down to much, boys!

This attitude of compliant subjection in online forums and this bumptious and schoolmasterly jurist note is getting on my nervs, sorry.*

And please excuse my bad english...

*If someone really can understand this sentence which I "constructed" with the help of an online translation service and could reword it into some better english I would be grateful! Thanx in advance...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Photogregor
    Think about the difference between "justice", "legal" and "shareholder concern".

You don't understand. In the USA anybody can sue anybody for any reason with virtually no consequences if the lawsuit is unsuccessful or even frivolous (lawyers write the laws so they write them to their advantage). If the MPAA or RIAA, with their deep pockets, were to sue Videohelp.com it could cost the owners of the site hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees and years of their time defending themselves. Even if they are eventually found not guilty. The site could be shut down until the case is decided. The owners choose to err on the side of safety rather than be put in a position of having to defend themselves in court. If you don't like it you can go elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Photogregor
    Don't you realize how you're making yourself to auxiliary persons for those who want first to make the rest of the world addicted to their products and afterwards press out as much money as they can? Just because someone COULD have downloaded a video from the internet - what nearly everyone does??
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but if you're suggesting that I am a lapdog of the MPAA, then you are more than just a little off base. The rules for posting in this site are clear for anyone who bothers to read them.

Originally Posted by Photogregor
    These have very little to do with using this or any forum. The administrator has defined a set of rules by which he hopes to keep the site usable, friendly, and helpful to everyone, and has charged the moderators with enforcing those rules. If you or anyone choose to violate those rules you risk at minimum a warning or at maximum being banned from the site at their discretion. They couldn't care less if you want to download illegally, make multiple copies of your DVDs and give them to your friends, or even participate in full out piracy, or anything else you think is "fighting the machine", but don't discuss it on this forum. That violates the site rules.

Some of what's allowed on this site could be considered controversial, but as yet untested in the courts. If fear were the motivating factor or if strict adherence to the letter of the law were followed, then these discussions would also be forbidden, but they are allowed. It would be foolish, not brave, to allow activities that have proven to get websites shut down.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    You don't understand.
    Yes.

In the USA anybody can sue anybody for any reason with virtually no consequences if the lawsuit is unsuccessful or even frivolous...
    I hate antiamericanism (in Germany).

lawyers write the laws so they write them to their advantage.
    What an intelligent statement. Why do you elect these people?

If you don't like it you can go elsewhere.
    Are you talking about the forum or about the USA?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @gadgetguy
    I really don't know what you want. You state that you're not a lapdog of the shareholders and proof that with the declaration, that the rules for this site are clear? Hä?

But whatsoever. If you really believe that you should not or could not or must not make some copies of your OWN DVDs (you bought them, they're YOURS) and donate them to friends, if you really are willing to give money for a DVD to the manufacturer and allow him to deny the right to copy it as a gift - you are a sad person to me.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo

You don't understand. In the USA anybody can sue anybody for any reason with virtually no consequences if the lawsuit is unsuccessful or even frivolous (lawyers write the laws so they write them to their advantage). If the MPAA or RIAA, with their deep pockets, were to sue Videohelp.com it could cost the owners of the site hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees and years of their time defending themselves. Even if they are eventually found not guilty. The site could be shut down until the case is decided. The owners choose to err on the side of safety rather than be put in a position of having to defend themselves in court. If you don't like it you can go elsewhere.
    I'm not sure whether US law or legal practice would have any jurisdiction. The owner of the site is in Sweden, where the site is hosted I have no idea BUT, it is not only the US. Copyright law is virtually the same in most countries. The OP is in Germany, I am in the UK and the laws that govern copyright are EU rulings so are the same for us both. Until the EU standardised things, each country had it's own laws and, technically, it was illegal in the UK to copy any form of copyright material even though virtually everyone did it. In the days of music being sold on vinyl, I broke the law every time I bought a new album by copying it to cassette to play in my car and to prevent the vinyl from getting damaged. I still have vinyl albums that have only ever been played once, the time when they were copied!

The point here though is that while we all know it is possible to download just about anything these days, it is illegal in most countries. It would be suicidal if this site was to be seen to condone it even though we all know that it happens. Pressure from the copyright holders is gaining and UK ISPs are now starting to write to subscribers that regularly use peer to peer download sites threatening to withdraw service if they continue. This is under legislation written in Brussels and common to all EU countries. If they are putting pressure on subscribers, who are their customers and are paying money for a service, how are they likely to react to a website that is seen to be encouraging the practice?

By the way, the lawyers that draft the legislation are not elected but employed by the Governments to write laws that are unambiguous. They rarely succeed and other lawyers then get paid huge sums of money arguing over the precise meaning of a piece of legislation but that's a different story....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Photogregor
    @gadgetguy
    I really don't know what you want. You state that you're not a lapdog of the shareholders and proof that with the declaration, that the rules for this site are clear? Hä?
    What I want? I want to be able to continue to come to this site and receive and offer help as needed to continue my video hobby. I didn't offer the statement about the rules as proof of my position regarding the MPAA. The two statements stand on their own. I am not a lapdog of the MPAA, but I do believe in following the rules that have been established for this site.

But whatsoever. If you really believe that you should not or could not or must not make some copies of your OWN DVDs (you bought them, they're YOURS) and donate them to friends, if you really are willing to give money for a DVD to the manufacturer and allow him to deny the right to copy it as a gift - you are a sad person to me.
    I haven't stated my personal beliefs here because they're irrelevant. The rules forbid promoting warez activities, and I support and follow those rules. As was pointed out, you're new here and don't seem to have read or understood the rules. It is clear now that you are not interested in my attempts to help you understand them to keep you from getting banned, so I will withdraw from this discussion and wish you well.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    WOW!!!
    6 of his first 7 post's were here blah blah blahing about this
    What a noob!!!

Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Put it this way, any forum, like any physical establishment, can set it's own rules. If you go to a restaurant that has a rule that all men that enter must be wearing a collar and tie, you either wear a collar and tie or go somewhere else. No different here, if you don't like the rules, rather than argue the point even when the reason for those rules has been pointed out to you, go elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    [...] I am in the UK and the laws that govern copyright are EU rulings so are the same for us both.
    UK respects EU rulings? What happend?

In the days of music being sold on vinyl, I broke the law every time I bought a new album by copying it to cassette to play in my car...
    Even though I don't know British law I don't believe that. At least it would be totally absurd to forbid any copy of your OWN data medium on one hand and to allow the selling of everything you need to do that on the other. In Germany you're allowed to copy what belongs to you, regardless whether it is analog or digital (for private purposes, of course you're not allowed to copy it for commercial aims).

If they are putting pressure on subscribers, who are their customers and are paying money for a service, how are they likely to react to a website that is seen to be encouraging the practice?
    Thats it what we are talking about: making pressure. Whats up with you Brits? Where's Maggie? Where's your spirit? You knuckle towards the EU???

How ever technically you handle that stuff - the industry is wrong, they're lying. It's NOT the musician that suffers from downloading, if any it is the company, which must size down its palaces. The sales are NOT declinig because of downloading, because the downloaders would not buy these expensive CDs if they could not download. And IT IS a social aspect that the industry is able to utilize governmental parts as police or prosecutors against nearly the whole people to increase sales.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    Put it this way, any forum, like any physical establishment, can set it's own rules.
    Bullshit. If you set the rule "I don't want women" or "I don't want slitted eyes" you definitely cannot. And even if you could: it is utterly without any sense to state this, because we're not talking about what you could do or not, instead we're talking about what is right and what is wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    UK respects EU rulings? What happend?
    They caved in and joined the EU so they could make a Euro.

Even though I don't know British law I don't believe that. At least it would be totally absurd to forbid any copy of your OWN data medium on one hand and to allow the selling of everything you need to do that on the other.
    The various bits of hardware and media have uses besides copyright violations' so its not absurd. Your own data medium is not the same as your own intellectual property either. The idea behind copyright laws is very much about controlling copying. I think some of the publishers are just a tad over the top in their behavior but the copyright holder does indeed have the right to control copying in any nation with copyright laws. In the US there is the concept of Fair Use but not all countries agree with the idea. Please note that Nero does not break encryption so Germany doesn't agree with your thinking any more than the UK does.

In Germany you're allowed to copy what belongs to you, regardless whether it is analog or digital (for private purposes, of course you're not allowed to copy it for commercial aims).
    Thats Fair Use. So how come there is no decryptor in Nero or in any Magix product? Even in downloads from Germany. Perhaps you don't understand the situation in your own country any more than you do the situation on this web site or Britain.

Thats it what we are talking about: making pressure. Whats up with you Brits? Where's Maggie? Where's your spirit? You knuckle towards the EU???
    In case you haven't noticed Maggie is long out of office. Even an ignorant American like me noticed. Are you planning on paying VideoHelp's legal fees? Perhaps if gave a VERY large donation you could rewrite a few rules. I hear lawyers are cheaper outside the US so maybe that explains your fearlessness. Or could it be that you are only fearless with other peoples money.

It's NOT the musician that suffers from downloading, if any it is the company, which must size down its palaces.
    Some musicians disagree with you. Metalica being one of the most obvious. I suppose its possible that they just banged their heads a few times too many.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Photogregor

It is really simple. You are a guest here at Baldrick's (the owner) discretion, and that of the appointed moderators. As a guest you have a simple choice to make. You can

a) accept the rules of the house, whether you like them or not, and reap the benefits to be had from being a member here

b) Decide you don't like the rules, and leave the forum as this obviously isn't the place for you,

or c) Keep bawling like a spoilt little baby until you eventually get banned by a mod.

This has nothing at all to do with the law, justice, lawyers or anything else your paranoid little mid fears. It has everything to do with the rules established by the site owner. Live with them and be thankful the site exists, or go get advice from a warez site that shares your beliefs.

Just don't come whining to us when you have a machine covered in virii, spyware, codec packs and WinAVI, and nothing works.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote