VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone recommend a good software for video enhancement of mp4 from an N95 (or similar) please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    enhancement? During playback? Without re-encoding the source, including heavy filtering?

I don't think so.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so choice of words was not exactly great. What I mean is some software that will increase brightness, cut out some overzealous colouring. Was taken indoors and I need to somehow make it look better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most half decent video editors can adjust the brightness, contrast and colour on a video clip, although I don't know how well they will work on an already heavily compressed mp4 file. You may need to encode it to a format that an editor can handle which will lose you some of the little quality it already has.
    Can I suggest you use a camcorder next time and use the N95 for what it was designed for, making phone calls....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Richard_G, we don't have always a camcorder with us, but we always have our mobile phones. Your suggestion sounds more like irony in this case, even if that is not your intention.

coolchrisyorkshire, what you wish to do is to process your source. There is no way to do this automatically with a software. You have to do it manually.

The best methond IMO, is to convert your mp4 to something that virtualdub understands and use the filters it has. The MSU smart deblocking and neat video filter may help you with this

Alternatively, you can use avidemux direct with your source. It has about the same filters with virtualdub.

Finally, you can use Video Enhancer with the virtualdub filters. It is a commercial program that also upscales any source, using advance technics. It is fast too on multicore CPUs.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    Richard_G, we don't have always a camcorder with us, but we always have our mobile phones. Your suggestion sounds more like irony in this case, even if that is not your intention.
    Irony maybe, sarcasm definitely! No, my point is if you want decent quality video you go prepared with a camcorder. If it is something that happens unexpectedly and you don't have one, use a mobile phone. Just accept that the quality won't be good and live with it rather than spending hours trying to improve on it. You will find that you will make it different, whether better or not will be a matter of opinion.

Mobile phone footage has been used in worldwide news broadcasts when somebody manages to catch a story as it happens. They don't bother trying to do anything with it, just accept it for what it is.
    Quote Quote