VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need help with trying to determine how to acheive playback quality on dvd disk drive (and computer) equal to that when using the camcorder (and sony blue ray player) to play back video.

Im using a Sony HDR CX7. Everything loads on a memory stick. I'm using the provided sony software to transfer High def video to my computer and/or create an avchd dvd. When I connect the computer to my 62in HDTV and play the dvd via "dvi to hdmi cable. The sony sofware with alow the dvd drive to play the avchd recorded disk. Ultimately, the video play back quality is choppy and the color is poor. I took that same avchd dvd to bestbuy and put it in a sony blueray and a samsumg blueray(connected to 50+HDTV) and the video quality was really nice and smooth with beautiful bright rich colors. Why is this the case? computer processor, memory, video card, diskdrive speed, the sony avchd playback software...????
    Sony hrd-cx7
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It takes a lot of processing power to display Blu-ray properly. I finally ended up buying a ATI 3870 video card to achieve smooth playback. And that with a quad core 9300 CPU with 4GB RAM. The video card seems to be the main item, along with CPU speed. RAM is not so important. I'm using a low end Sony Blu-ray ROM drive and the Cyberlink PowerDVD software.

I find the same problem with some MKV videos. I have a second computer that has on-board video and it won't play back Blu-ray smoothly, though it has enough CPU speed and RAM and claims Blu-ray compatibility. The color problem sounds more like a video card setting problem.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Likely cpu power and/or the codecs that you have installed.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Likely cpu power and/or the codecs that you have installed.
    can you explain to me further regarding "codec that you have installed" THANKS !
    Sony hrd-cx7
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for welcoming me! Based on some of the threads that I have read, this forum appears to consist of a community of knowledgeable people willing to help others -- this is wonderful!
    Sony hrd-cx7
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A codec is needed to play media files like video or audio. (compressor/decompressor). One way to think of it is its similar to a driver for say printer - you have to have the codec in order to play a ceertain type of media.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    A codec is needed to play media files like video or audio. (compressor/decompressor). One way to think of it is its similar to a driver for say printer - you have to have the codec in order to play a ceertain type of media.
    I'm currently using the program that came with the video camera called sony motion picture browser. It quickly and conveniently allows me to transfer video from my camcorder to my computer and vice versa. Also, it'll create(burn) AVCHD videos to DVD from the HD video files that "sony motion picture browser" transfers to the computer or directly from the camcorder's HD Videos files stored in the camcorder's removable memory stick. It (sony motion picture browser) also has a program that will playback the AVCHD DVD's from a normal dvd drive. This is where/when I get the choppy playback. Could it be that this playback program doesn't have the correct codec? Also that same dvd plays perfectly smooth in a blueray player that supports AVCHD. So again, could it be that this playback program doesn't have the correct codec to allow the AVCHD DVD to play smoothly in my computer's dvd drive, or is it hardware related as someone else suggested?
    Sony hrd-cx7
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Open Task Manager and watch your cpu usage during playback. That will give an indication whether or not your PC can handle the playback.

The software you are using has the required codec for playback. However, some codecs are more efficient than others...meaning they will use less cpu power.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why do not you believe redwudz.
    It has to do with video card processing power, its video RAM and processor.
    If the video play, than codec is there.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Open Task Manager and watch your cpu usage during playback. That will give an indication whether or not your PC can handle the playback.

The software you are using has the required codec for playback. However, some codecs are more efficient than others...meaning they will use less cpu power.
    I'll try this. Thanks!
    Sony hrd-cx7
    Quote Quote  
  11. Don't forget that other programs/processes running in the background can also have an effect on video playback (and everything else). Try and make sure that you haven't got too much unnecessary stuff running in the background. If your anti-virus has on-access scanning then I'd turn that off as well.
    Quote Quote