VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a new Lenovo computer a month ago my DVD writer stopped working it says driver is corrupt or missing code 39 Lenovo won't help unless I do a recover. I had just activated software on this computer that I only have so many installs and only have one left before I have to buy this software again. Is there anyway I can recover a driver in windows vista driver without wiping out my software I have installed Lenovo told me they can give me a new drive if I need one but only after I do a windows recover and it still does not work. It takes an SATA drive so I can't even try one from my other computer as it is an IDE on my other computer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The typical recommendation (in XP anyway), is to simply delete/remove the drive from Device Manager and reboot. Windows will find the hardware and reinstall the driver when the OS loads.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. That does not work. It was the first thing I tried then I removed and replugged the drive in. Lenovo will not work with software issues in order for them to warranty this 3 wk old computer I have to wipe out my hard drive which would be no deal accept I have $150 worth of software on it that only has one more install. I am hoping I can work with the softare company and get them to give me another install because I have to wipe out my windows installation
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With Vista and XP, the DVD driver is part of the OS. If it doesn't reinstall after uninstalling, you may have a problem with the OS itself. Does it show with a yellow checkmark in the Device Manager. If not, you may have another problem.

Usually at that point, you would need the install disc to attempt to fix the driver. Or the problem may be in the drive itself. No easy way to know without substituting the drive. You could purchase a new drive for about $30US. (I assume this isn't a laptop.) If it is a desktop and you have a spare 5.25 slot and a available SATA connection, this would give you a second DVD drive, which is also handy. If it doesn't work, then RMA the computer.

Alternatively, if one of your other computers has a SATA connection, pull the drive and try it there.

Sorry, about all I can come up with.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It has a yellow checkmark that says driver is either missing or corrupted code 39 . I have a windows install disk not too much good though if the drive does not work LOL. I have a USB external case I can take the drive out of my other computer it is an IDE drive this computer has no ide only sata and put it in that and hook it up externally would that work or do I still just need that driver to make an external CD drive work. Can I do a repair of the OS and get back the driver without wiping out my installed programs. If I remember correctly You can do that with Windows XP.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have it fixed without reinstalling Vista. I ended up with a good technician from Lenovo on the phone she walked me through just deleting a registry entry that was causing the device driver to not load.
    Quote Quote