VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a VCR/DVD combo (SONY SLV-D380P) and while satisfied with the price and quality, I noticed that the OSD (such as auto tracking bar) was also captured with the video.

I wonder if it is possible to disable OSD (if you have the vcr of the same model), or, can you recommend a VCR or VCR/DVD that I can completely disable OSD? I am converting tapes for my cusomers and it is not acceptable to have the OSD displayed.

Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On pretty much every VCR I've ever used turning off the OSD was a matter of hitting the "display" button on the remote of few times to cycle through the OSD options until it all disappears.

You did mention the tracking bar which probably means you have some sort of automated tracking turned on. With that enabled anytime there is a jitter in the tape the VCR wants to adjust you'll see the OSD pop up. There should be an option somewhere in the setting to turn off automatic tracking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I second pstedman suggestions. Usually there is a "display" button that needs to be pressed to get rid of onscreen graphics.

HOWEVER the tracking will pop up if its left on automatic. As pstedman suggested disable autotracking. Unfortunatley that will mean you'll have to live with the distortions during capturing OR you'll have to track manually. If you track manually you may still have an onscreen graphic pop up. But you might get lucky and have no graphics pop up while MANUALLY adjusting the tracking.

Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone. I think I will keep the VCR/DVD since it's of very high quality and with a relatively low price (bought as an open box). This is what I will do:

1. First, play the tape for a few minutes, and let auto tracking does its business.
    2. Rewind the tape to the beginning
    3. Disable auto tracking
    4. Play the tape and start capturing

Hopefully this will get me the best result without having to see the OSD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Old thread, but I have the same problem with this VCR/DVD model.

It has an onscreen display which can't be turned off, and flashes whenever it feels it needs to adjust tracking on the tape.

It flashes "HI-Fi" (or whatever sound you have) and an auto tracking bar.

Ruins my recordings.

There are display options you can cycle through, none of which shut that stuff off.
    Quote Quote