VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This is not regarding to burning a dual layer DVD but making the DL DVD. If the home movie/video clips cannot fit one single 4.7GB DVD disc, can I use the dual layer DVD disc to make the DL movie? Should I just insert the dual layer DVD disc then the burning software will automatically make the DL movie?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You ideally need to author for Dual Layer so that when you burn it all fits correctly. Dual Layer is just a simple case of fill layer one, then start filling layer two. There has to be a balance between the layers to make it work. You have to make sure that the layer break is positioned correctly, which comes down in part to chapter placement.

You can just author blindly and hope it works, and sometimes it does. More often you will find that you get to to burning you will be told that there is no suitable place for a layer break, and have to start again. Much better to author correctly in the first place.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the Dual Layer DVD RW avaiable in the market so that I can make the dual layer DVD movie by testing?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No RW dual layer discs. You can test the VIDEO_TS folder content using a software DVD media player on your computer, but cannot test a disc burn without actually committing to an irreversible burn.

Reliable dual layer burns require reliable media: Verbatim DVD+R DL discs only.

Reliable dual layer burns require reliable burning software: ImgBurn only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80
    No RW dual layer discs. You can test the VIDEO_TS folder content using a software DVD media player on your computer, but cannot test a disc burn without actually committing to an irreversible burn.

Reliable dual layer burns require reliable media: Verbatim DVD+R DL discs only.

Reliable dual layer burns require reliable burning software: ImgBurn only.
    Is the VIDEO_TS folder you talked about just the image file/IFO, by the way?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    Is the Dual Layer DVD RW avaiable in the market so that I can make the dual layer DVD movie by testing?
    Both DVD-RW DL and DVD+RW DL were announced years ago, but never made it to market. A few sample discs of one of the 2 formats were sent to selected individuals (ie. reviewers and such). A few burners announced support for whatever format that was, but the discs never became available for sale. The industry doesn't like to talk about it but the truth is that the discs ended up being so costly to manufacture AND they required the use of new burners so the whole idea got quietly shelved. Because the general public never got access to the discs we really don't know, but there were rumors that they discs weren't reliable. The methodology behind re-writable DL discs is completely different from all the predecessors (write once single layer discs, write once DL discs and single layer re-writable discs) so it's certainly possible that in reality the discs just didn't work very well.

filmboss80's answer is certainly correct, but I thought you might like to know more on the "why" they aren't available now and why they probably never will be.
    Quote Quote