VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone! I'm new here & I'd like to ask you guys about this problem:
    I bought an AverDVD EzMaker Gold PCI Card to transfer some VHS to my hard disk (in mpeg-2 format). I bought these old VHS from Ebay because there's no DVD made for them. But a big problem occur, when I tried to capture some VHS, I only have the audio, not any video (actually, the video suddenly appeared on the preview screen and then disappeared). But it only happened to some VHS, the others worked very well. So what is the problem here ? I can watch the VHS on TV, just unable to capture it to the hard disk. I tried to search on the Internet but nothing is really helpful. But some people said on some forums about "VHS copyright protected" with Macrovision (don't know much about this), are they the cause of this problem ? Please help me clear out this! Thank you very much! (And sorry if there's something wrong in what I said, I'm not that good at English)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think it's funny when people apologize for their English when often times it's better than most American's English!

Anyway, sounds like you need a Time Base Corrector for your copyguarded tapes. I use the one Lordsmurf recommended.

http://www.adorama.com/VDDVTBC1000.html?sid=12250177201061329

By the way, check out his site:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your help! But I live in Vietnam, it will be hard to buy a device like that and also, the price + shipping may be a nightmare ! Is that the only way ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by fromvn
    the video suddenly appeared on the preview screen and then disappeared
    Same thing happens to me when I try to capture an NTSC tape on a PAL machine. The PAL machine will play
    the tape on the television but capture cards and DVD recorders will not "see" the signal.

Are you sure you don't have an NTSC/PAL format problem?
    What video format is Vietnam?
    Where(what country) did you buy the tapes from?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Originally Posted by fromvn
    the video suddenly appeared on the preview screen and then disappeared
    Same thing happens to me when I try to capture an NTSC tape on a PAL machine. The PAL machine will play
    the tape on the television but capture cards and DVD recorders will not "see" the signal.

Are you sure you don't have an NTSC/PAL format problem?
    What video format is Vietnam?
    Where(what country) did you buy the tapes from?
    Well, I don't think that's a problem of NTSC/PAL. The video format in Vietnam is PAL but my VCR can play both PAL & NTSC. I captured some VHS in NTSC and some in PAL before to my hard drive, and they all worked well.
    Quote Quote