VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

How can I play CD-G on a Samsung HT-Q20.

I can hear the music and sing but no lirics are on the tv

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the karoke cds usually need to be played on specialized equipment. There are those portable units with built in speakers and a small display screen meant for karoke.

You MAY be able to use some special computer software to play them backe. However I have never experimented with those so I can't offer suggestions.

I would doubt a standard dvd player would be able to play a karoke cd properly with graphics. There may be some specialized ones that do but they would have to be labled as such.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. CD-G is a specilized form of audio-cd. The image data (which stores the lyrics in some bmp form) are embedded into a small portion (sub code) of each sector. The CDG player can read this sector portion also to display the lyrics, but the DVD or CD player ignores this. That is why you can only listen to the audio. As explained by yoda313, you can google for CDG players and try them on your PC.

Regards
    Dinesh
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it looks like you will be able to play cdg on the pc after all. Here is at least one program that claims to do it:

Power CD+G Player Pro

Just search for this on yahoo or google. I don't have any cdg discs so I can't verify its effectiveness. It does have a free trial so at least you can see if it works before buying.

I'm sure there are other programs that can do this as well. Good luck.

Edit - there is also at least one plugin you can buy for windows media player to play cdg discs. I don't know about powerdvd or windvd. I would search their websites for a cdg plugin if you use either player regularly.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are CD+G discs still being manufactured? I haven't seen a hardware player since the older game systems (the PC Engine/TG-16 with CD add-on and the Genesis/Mega Drive with CD drive would play them, I believe).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote