VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully someone can help me.
    I have been burning avi to dvd files for a couple years using nero and roxio and have recently switched to Convertx2DVD.
    The program has worked well for me until this last month. I have at Lite-On LH-20A1S DVD burner, Core 2 Duo E6400 processor E520 Dell PC running windows xp sp3 with 500gb harddrive 512 mb ram
    The program runs through the convert avi to dvd fine and then burns the disk at (4x) with no errors
    I go to use the disk and there are no files on it. it will not read in my dvd player or computer
    i have used fugifilm dvd-r will no problems until now, i also tried verbatuim thinking it was a disk problem - didn't work
    i contacted convertx2dvd and they stated it is not a software problem should be a hardware or disk problem

i tried burning the video and audeo files (converted with convertx2dvd) with a different program Cheetah dvd burner
    i went out and bought a hp external dvd burner and had the same outcome
    i have ran a virus scan in safe mode thinking it was a virus with nothing found use avg and avast
    i am not sure what else to try, i was thinking of formating my c:/ drive but looking for another option.
    Can someone please help me
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check the files for playability before burning? I'm betting that there's something wrong with those (like they're not there...)

Verify that the output of the conversion is indeed playable. For best testing, write an iso image of the dvd, and then attempt to play it. If you can't create the iso, that points to a potential problem right there.

There's also the possibility that you have a bad sector on your HD, or have insufficient space (you need enough for all the intermediate files, as well as the final result, remember). Run a disk utility to preclude that possibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use imgburn to burn dvd media.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i checked the files with Cyberlink powerDVD and they play with audio perfectly
    the memory may be the issue i think it stated i have 60mb left of free memory on my HD
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Frogde3
    i checked the files with Cyberlink powerDVD and they play with audio perfectly
    the memory may be the issue i think it stated i have 60mb left of free memory on my HD
    You need at least 4GB free to burn a dvd. That is your problem. You need to delete some things or move them to another drive to create enough space.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was wrong about the hard drive space, i just checked now it was 60Gb free. Which brings me back to square one again. Sorry about the miss information

Thank you all for the help so far
    I am going to update my firmware and get a spare harddrive anyway to free up some space

Any more suggestions??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the files are good and playable on the hard drive, then what remains as likely suspects are the drive, the media, and the software.

Use imgburn, as suggested before; it's very reliable. Nero isn't. I avoid it -- it was written by angry, maladroit monkeys, from all appearances.

Use good media, burned at one or two steps below maximum speed (e.g., burn 16x media at 8x or 12x). Never touch the face of the blank prior to burning (drives can often read through fingerprints and light scratches, but they can't burn properly through them); handle only by the edges.

If you still don't get good burns, maybe it's time for a new burner. If you can borrow an external one, use that to diagnose your problem. If you can burn with it, but not your internal one, well, you know what that means.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote