VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I've been assigned a new job at work that contains transport stream conversions for a system that will be in use in some hotel.
    The resulting file must be in an .mpg container and not in a .ts
    I've been given a strict specification:
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df2gw3jr_115f6b3wsd9
    I noticed that setting the output file type to transport stream set a lot a things in TMGEnc as the specs requires.
    My method I've been trying is the following (and results in audio sync error when tested over the streaming server to the set top boxes however VLC is just playing it fine on any PC):

-Rip VOB with Decrypter
    -Using TMGPENC Express 4 and the following settings:
    video:
    PAL, 4:3
    output: mpeg2 transport stream
    stream format: mpeg2 video
    mp@ml
    framerate: 25fps
    CBR at 4500kbs
    VBV buffer: 224
    display mode: interlace

audio:
    The specification says both 44100 and 48000 hz are good. (but with both settings I get the same sync problem)
    channel mode: stereo
    192 kbs

GOP:
    closed GOP is checked

Quantization:
    mpeg standard or default matrix type (tried both)

I tired to demux my VOBs with tsMuxerGUI and use the resulted mpv and mp2 files in TMPGenc yet bumped into the same problem.

I tried to use the audio delay I see in TSmuxer/IFO files and then slide the audio with that value in TMPGenc but nothing.
    I also learned that changing hz in audio streams and converting ac3 5.1 to mp2 stereo may cause delay...
    The movies stream from the server to an IBM Power PC based set top box, and this is where my audio is late from the picture.
    I'm stuck. Has someone experienced the same? Any suggestions on what should I try? I'm a rookie by the way. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You may check and demux DVD with ProjectX or PVAStrumento - both reports stream errors and create a log file.

Some standalone recorders produce a stream which has a discontinuity errors. No problem if it's kept in the original VOB container but it's not handled well during demuxing - syncing or drop outs errors may appear.

My solution to it is to import the DVD to TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 and remux the stream into a new DVD, then demux in whatever program.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks noemi7.

I tried to use ProjectX but for some reasons it exits on start on all of my computers running XP and Vista, the only thing I see for a moment is a command line window.

I'll try TMPGEnc DVD Author and let you know the result. If I get it right: remux then demux and then TMPGEnc Express to output the final mpg file.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you run your VOBs through the QuickStreamFix option in VideoRedo, the resulting Mpeg files won't have audio delays. You should then be able to demux with properly synced audio and video, or feed them into TmpegEnc

While I've had no problems demuxing Transport Streams in ProjectX, I haven't had the greatest luck demuxing VOBs. Maybe things have changed. There's a portable version of ProjectX which works on most systems: http://rapidshare.com/files/145467282/ProjectX_Portable.exe

I'd try it this way:

1) Quickstream Fix in VideoRedo
    2) Demux using DGindex
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elba
    I'll try TMPGEnc DVD Author and let you know the result. If I get it right: remux then demux and then TMPGEnc Express to output the final mpg file.
    Any of TMPG products (incl. the 2 above) is capable of correctly importing a DVD by VTS with audio in sync. TMPGEnc Express is not what you want here since it will re-encode (not just remux). The exact and complete solution here would be TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, which will import each VTS using its ifo file (by drag & drop), and output transport stream with mpg extension:
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tme20.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys. I'll try everything you mentioned, but it takes time...I upload my tryouts and then wait for the answer from the testers....I'll let you know everything... I forgot to mention that this whole thing is legal, the company I work for has obtained rights to convert and resell movie titles.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Alex_ander
    TMPGEnc Express is not what you want here since it will re-encode (not just remux).
    You are wrong Alex. Xpress wont re-encode when you use MPEG Tools. It has no any edit/encoding options, just de/mux. Although it works with a single file only, hence it may not be possible to demux a DVD - it even formally doesn't support VOB container.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by elba
    I tried to use ProjectX but for some reasons it exits on start on all of my computers running XP and Vista, the only thing I see for a moment is a command line window.
    You may check compiled beta version dated September 28, 2008 which should work on Vista:
    http://www.oozoon.de/progs/projectx/ProjectX-v0.90.04.00.b25-20080928.zip

Edit: perhaps you need to install Java 1.6 from http://www.java.com/getjava/
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    I'd try it this way:

1) Quickstream Fix in VideoRedo
    2) Demux using DGindex
    why to use DGindex for demuxing while VideoRedo is built for it? Of course VideoRedo is highly recommended but not free.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks noemi7, I've already downloaded the portable version that Soopafresh offered and it is running.
    And yes, if you use only the built in Mpeg Tools it only demuxes the file.
    I purchased VideoRedo today...Thursday and Friday are bank holiday over here..so I'll have time give a go to everything all of you suggested.
    thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VideoRedo is a very good app. You'll find many uses for it, considering what you're doing. It will also convert your mpeg program streams into Transport Streams, in case you run into problems with Tmpgenc.

Refer to this post to learn how to combine multiple VOB files in VideoRedo. This process will also fix the audio delay:

http://videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=5732

Also http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/attachment.php?s=584b104015ab42bff7837cefc57556ba&at...3&d=1196374474

Or, if you're ripping the DVD to a single VOB, make sure you run everything through QuickStreamFix before you demux and run it through Tmpgenc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Or, if you're ripping the DVD to a single VOB, make sure you run everything through QuickStreamFix before you demux and run it through Tmpgenc
    Also:
    FixVTS
    I've always considered it the best thing since sliced bread for such problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noemi7
    Originally Posted by Alex_ander
    TMPGEnc Express is not what you want here since it will re-encode (not just remux).
    You are wrong Alex. Xpress wont re-encode when you use MPEG Tools. It has no any edit/encoding options, just de/mux. Although it works with a single file only, hence it may not be possible to demux a DVD - it even formally doesn't support VOB container.
    As you say, MPEG Tools only works in file mode. My suggestion was based on importing full content in 'DVD source' mode (by parsing ifo's); it is also possible in XPress, but then MPEG Tools can't be used. So in case only XPress is at hand, it's better to previously use DGIndex for demuxing, which imports whole VOB set and determines audio delay.
    Along with MPEG Editor, the mentioned VideoReDo (TV Suite v.3) is also capable of importing/saving DVD content the same way, not sure if older versions can do that.
    Quote Quote