VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVD+RW that has contents. Is it possible to erase it make a blank DVD+RW so that any third party burn software is able to write this blank DVD+RW or erasing DVD/CD RW will result in the disc software and burner specific?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most burning software, such as imgburn, has an erase function.
    Quote Quote  
  3. NERO --- erase DVD--- YES-----Go For IT--- NOW ----
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You do know what the RW stands for in DVD+RW right ??

And you do realize that DVD+R disc's also have the RW logo on them but they are NOT RW's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you all mean “quick erase”, “format” the DVD/CD RW or either way to make the blank DVD/CD RW disc? After quick erase, the DVD RW will become blank, just like new one so that ANY third party burn software can write it. Is it correct? Similarly, after formatting, any third party burn software can write the RW disc. Is it correct? Or, there is difference there?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. If it is an RW disc, erase or format will let you write to it again.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I want to make sure the burn software A erase or format a DVD/CD RW, the burn software B (assuming no erase or formatting option) can write this RW disc. Is it correct? If so, what is the difference in making a blank RW disc between the erasing and formatting assuming the different burn software will write this RW disc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. If you erase a disc on machine a with software a then you can only ever write to it again using the same machine and software. The disc becomes worthless if you try to use it in another machine.

No. Wait. I lied because I can.

As has been said over and over, this is a generic process. Erase the disc with any software and write with any software. Erase it in your DVD recorder if you like. It doesn't matter. Erasing a disc returns it to it's blank state, ready for use. It doesn't know or care about what erased it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    I want to make sure the burn software A erase or format a DVD/CD RW, the burn software B (assuming no erase or formatting option) can write this RW disc.
    Maybe you should specify what "burn software B" is.
    I'd be surprised if it didn't have an erase function itself.
    Every burning software I'm familiar with does.

Sometimes, if a burn is interrupted or otherwise messed up, you need to do a "full erase" rather than a "quick" one. That usually gets you back to a useable disc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've had no problems using "quick erase" - in fact, I've been using the same half-dozen RW+ disks for more than five years; they've been used many, many times. And they're - gasp - Memorex, usually not considered a good brand.

Whether I use "quick erase" or "full erase", the disks report they are blank, and work just fine. I used Nero for many years but now I use Imgburn (thank you, UK Lightning).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AlenHK asked, “Maybe you should specify what "burn software B" is.”

No problem. For example, the Kodak EasyShare. The technical support told me the EasyShare couldn’t erase or format a CD RW but only write it. So I am thinking whether I can use the different software to erase or format a CD RW (as well as DVD RW) make a blank CD RW and then use the EasyShare to write this disc. In other words, is it possible to erase or format a CD/DVD RW make a blank disc, just like a brand new DVD/CD RW that can be written by any burn software and any machine or, once a DVD/CD RW has been used, it becomes software and machine specific?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by coody

No problem. For example, the Kodak EasyShare. The technical support told me the EasyShare couldn’t erase or format a CD RW but only write it. So I am thinking whether I can use the different software to erase or format a CD RW (as well as DVD RW) make a blank CD RW and then use the EasyShare to write this disc. In other words, is it possible to erase or format a CD/DVD RW make a blank disc, just like a brand new DVD/CD RW that can be written by any burn software and any machine or, once a DVD/CD RW has been used, it becomes software and machine specific?
    The disc is rewritable. You are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Once you format, the disc is blank again.

It would also help if you filled out your computer specs.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Originally Posted by coody

The disc is rewritable. You are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Once you format, the disc is blank again.

It would also help if you filled out your computer specs.
    “Once you format, the disc is blank again.”

Do you mean any burn software and burner can write the CD/DVD RW disc once it has been formatted and become blank again? Can anyone confirm it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, it can erase/burn the formats supported. You can erase with one program, then use Easyshare to burn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes a simple thing can get totally confusing...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In order to enable any other burn software and burner to write the CD/DVD RW that has contents, must the user choose full erase (format) instead of quick erase to erase/make a blank CD/DVD RW, by the way? "Yes" or "No"?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Not necessary

The full erase is more thorough, but takes longer. The only element involved is time.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    coody;

Record a program- any program on one of your +RWs and then use any software application (burning program) you have with erase function to erase that disc.
    -Then-
    Using the same +RW, record another program on it using a different burning program.
    -Then-
    Right click on the drive in Windows and from the context menu, select "format" and proceed to use that function to erase the disc.
    -Then-
    Use another burning program or one you've already used to again record to the +RW.

You will see that this process can be continued indefinitely. Some burning applications (such as Imgburn) don't require that you use a previously erased disc; Imgburn (among others) will ask if you want to overwrite the disc, thus combining the erase and record functions in one operation.

Have you downloaded Imgburn yet ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you simply try the suggestions that have been posted? It seems like you're waiting for some random answer before you do anything. Just do it and see if it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    Why don't you simply try the suggestions that have been posted? It seems like you're waiting for some random answer before you do anything. Just do it and see if it works.
    No kidding. It's how I learned a great deal of things.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Too many people around here are simply too scared to try anything themselves. It is the same where I work. They need step by instructions, then they need to ask 101 un-necessary questions that are generally obtuse and have been answered if they cared to listen to the original instructions, then they wait for somebody else to do it first.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The whole point of DVDRWs, for me, is that I can try things without fear of making a coaster -- if it doesn't work, I just erase and I can try again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The thing does be easy if using the same computer, same burning software to erase and overwrite the CD/DVD RW but, it may be different if different burning software and burner involved in. I ever formatted a CD RW in a computer A/burner A and then try to write the disc in a computer B/burner B. But, the computer B or burner B is unable to recognize the disc although I still can copy this disc in the computer A. So, I have to think the disc has become burner specific after it was formatted by the different computer/burner. Is it true once the RW disc is formatted, it may be impossible to become a brand new like RW disc again (A brand new RW disc has no burner or sofware specific problems)? Have you ever seen or tested the same problem?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by coody
    ? Have you ever seen or tested the same problem?
    Yes. I'd say the RW disc itself is almost done for.

A few times, I've had a heavily-used +RW disc come up unrecognized. Doing a full-erase in DVDinfoPro allowed me to use it again with ImgBurn, but it was totally beat within another use or two and had to be replaced.

Or a burner on its way out may not recognize an RW disc, whereas another burner will. IIRC, I've had that happen too.

Otherwise, they should be interoperable.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Coody,

Erase your disc with program A. Burn your disc with program B.

Let us know how it worked for you.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote