VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have 3 MPGs files (around 540MB ea). I wanted to create a DVD, so I've used "Easy Avi Divx Xvid to DVD Burner" to convert the MPGs to VOBs. I also tried "Xilisoft AVI to DVD Converter" They both woked like a charm in creating the IFO, BUP and VOB files), but they created 5 VOB files (with a total size of 4.58GB, which I thought would fit into 1 DVD-R, but it turned out, it was slightly too big to fit in one DVD (4.7G)!!! I don't get it!

So I figured I needed to shrink the mpg files a bit prior to converting them to VOBs. I did that using MPGEnc, and I manged to shrink them and saved around 300M total! Than again I've tried the above tools to ceate the VOBs and guess what...same f***g problem. at the last satge (burning) it come out with the msg saying files too big. I've tried burning them in NERO, same problem!

I've done some reading in this section as well as under "re-authoring dvd" section, on how to compress (shrink) VOB files, but in vain! I've downloaded DVDFAB5 and DVDShrink and they don't seem to take VOB files straight from my HD (in the VIDEO_TS folder.) DVDShrink comes-up with an error saying..."invalid data in path....\VTS_01_3.VOB" !!!!.

Note that if I separate the files and burn them in two separate DVD-Rs they work just fine, but my goal is to have them in one DVD-R disk. Total movie time is 2h:48m:13s. So I don't want to waste 2 DVDs.

Thanks for your help!

I have WINXP, Plenty of HD space & Over 1G of RAM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So many crap tools, so many problems.

If the mpegs are already compliant then you can author them directly in GUIForDVDAuthor and they won't get any bigger.

If they are not compliant, try DVD Flick or FAVC, both of which will do a far better job than what you have been using.

If your DVD structures were legit, DVD Shrink would happily open them and shrink them. That it won't suggest that the disc probably would not have played correctly had you been able to burn it anyway.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pmolson
    I have 3 MPGs files (around 540MB ea). I wanted to create a DVD, so I've used "Easy Avi Divx Xvid to DVD Burner" to convert the MPGs to VOBs. I also tried "Xilisoft AVI to DVD Converter" They both woked like a charm in creating the IFO, BUP and VOB files), but they created 5 VOB files (with a total size of 4.58GB, which I thought would fit into 1 DVD-R, but it turned out, it was slightly too big to fit in one DVD (4.7G)!!! I don't get it!
    Why are you using "AVI to ... " tools when you have MPEGs?
    That will be roundtripping your files, doing two conversions, degrading them and at the same time making them much larger. And wasting hours to do so.

What are the specs of the MPEGs?
    With any luck they're already DVD compliant and you can simply use an authoring app to make a DVD fileset only slightly larger than the original MPEGs, much faster and with no quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AlanHK: See MPG Specs Snapshot Attached:

mpg_specs.bmp
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    pmolson - Unfortunately, your subject is COMPLETELY wrong and misleading. That has played some role in the help you have gotten.

Guys - He is trying to put VCD format video on a single layer DVD. These are NOT VOB files. (Thanks for the snapshot which let me understand what you really want to do.)

We have various guides on putting VCDs on DVD. It's pretty simple really.
    You just need to convert the audio to 48 KHz to be valid for DVD. Here's one guide:
    http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/57/59/
    Here are all the guides at VideoHelp on the subject:
    https://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=&tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=VCD+...or+List+Guides
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pmolson
    AlanHK: See MPG Specs Snapshot Attached
    OK. So this is in VCD/MPEG1.

Your converters are almost surely converting this to MPEG2, the standard for DVD.

However, this is quite unnecessary.
    You can make a perfectly valid DVD using MPEG1 video, only changing the audio sample rate. (see specs here.)
    I've made many of these, compiling several VCD videos onto a single DVD.

See the guides here.

You can use SVCD2DVDMPG, for instance. There is an old free version linked which will do the job, the newer pay version is probably sleeker.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, thanks for trying to help...

No, the files I'm trying to shrink are VOBs. I have attached the specs of the mpg file cose I was responding to AlanHK who asked for it. The original files are 3 MPGs files (around 540MB ea). I want to create a DVD, so I converted them to VOBs (5 files in total: around 4.48GB). When trying the burn the DVD (using Nero) it says they're too big!!

So it's VOBs I'm talking about not MPGs. Although I still have the original MPGs if there is an easier way to do it, I'm all ears! Thanks Again!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use the original mpgs and and you can use the above vcd to dvd methods. You don't have to reconvert so the files wont be any bigger.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    pmolson - no YOU don't get it. I wish you had paid attention to my post. I told you what to do.

You started with VCD. You converted it to VOB. Your final result is too big. The guides I pointed you to told you how to do this simply by just converting the audio. Your method is bad because not only did it not work for you, it re-encodes your video which will lower the quality, maybe by quite a lot. The guides I pointed you toward tell you how to do this with the best quality because you only convert the audio. But if they look too complicated for you then use something like FAVC or ConvertXtoDVD and maybe that will be easier for you. It won't be better and it will take longer to do it that way, but that's your choice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will get on it and report back to base Thank You Guys!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok here is an update...

1st I didn't have .DAT files so I've used the mpg files for steps 1-5.
    I'm kind of stuck at step6! What do I do with the mp2 file (converted to 48KHz) and the m1v file? THX
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Import them in an authoring app..Try DVDAuthor Gui.
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. I've used DVDAuthor Gui and it worked like a charm! Total file size was 1.22GB!!! I will burn it tonight and let you know if I run into any problems. Thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions.

Long Live VideoHelp!!!
    Quote Quote