VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying (on a Mac running 10.3) to convert a .rm file into an MP3 or some other format. The ffmpegx says it succeeded and creates the .mp3 file, but the resulting file is 0 bytes in size. I've tried changing the format etc. but it's always the same outcome. What am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance,

Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Conversion from .rm require the mencoder engine. Conversions to audio-only formats use the ffmpeg engine. These are mutually exclusive.
    I think you may need to convert using some mencoder preset with mp3 audio (such as XviD mencoder or DivX mencoder), and then extract the .mp3 audio from that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm. I'm trying all the encoders and nothing seems to help. Realplayer plays the file perfectly well. What other settings do I need to check? It either makes a 0-length file or makes no file at all...

thanks,

Mike
    [/quote]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to make sure: did you install the reallib for ffmpegX? Without it, ffmpegX won't be able to read your .rm file.
    There's a reallib for PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) and a reallib for Intel (newer Macs).
    When you have reallib installed, first try the button to confirm reallib is doing its job.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yep - I installed reallib. The Play button does indeed play the file!

Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the Play button makes the .rm file play in mplayer, then you must have installed reallib correctly. As far as I know, any mencoder preset should be able to make a good converted output.
    If not, please provide the Process Information log (accessible by pressing the blue "i" in the ffmpegX Progress window), so we can see what can be done, by looking at details of what ffmpegX was doing when attempting to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the silly interjection here, but just to be sure: The Play button you pressed was the one in ffmpegx, yes? If you pressed Play on some other bit of software, that's not what Case was referring to.

[No offense intended; sometimes it's little stuff like this that trips someone up, so I figured I'd stick my nose in. Nose is now being retracted.]
    Quote Quote