VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My Pansonic DMR-E15 broke last night and I'm unable to avoid the dreaded U61 error message. I took apart the unit and moved the laser head to the back of the recorder but it still does not work. Time for the graveyard.

I considering the purchase of a Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD recorder, which has a built-in tuner and 1080 upconversion.

I would like to ask whether the DVD-RWs recorded in Panasonic's unfinalized mode with the DMR-E15 can still be played in the newer Panasonic DMR-EZ28? Next time, I will finalize all recorded discs so my TV shows can be played on all DVD machines and brands.

It would be great if unfinalized recorded Panasonic DVDs will play on other Panasonic DVD recorders. Only downside is you need to buy another Panasonic if they fail. I'll prepare next time by finalizing all recorded DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My experience with recordings made on a Panasonic DMR is that there's no guarantee they'll play on anything other than a Panansonic DMR whether finalised or not!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes Surfmaster,unfinalized DVDs can be shared between Panasonic recorders just fine. I've had both models you mentioned and they are fully compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. Best Buy has a sale on the Panasonic DMR EZ28K machines, which are a few steps up from my old one. Good timing because I sure need a new machine.

This time, I'll remember to finalize all my recordings so that I will not be "forced" to buy another Panasonic if the new one breaks again. Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Surfmaster
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. Best Buy has a sale on the Panasonic DMR EZ28K machines, which are a few steps up from my old one. Good timing because I sure need a new machine.

This time, I'll remember to finalize all my recordings so that I will not be "forced" to buy another Panasonic if the new one breaks again. Cheers.
    A friend who owns both tells me you can use the new Panasonic to finalise recordings made on the old Panasonic. It once even finalised a disc made on a completely diferent brand of machine!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just set up the new Panasonic DVD recorder and it works nicely. It is compatible with non-finalized DVDs recorded with the older Panasonic DVD recorder. The newer one is so much better, especially how the fast forward and rewind functions seem smoother. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finalize my discs, but I copy them to my PC's hard drive to edit the files for Youtube uploading or making a professional DVD. After I am done, I erase the discs with Romeo Burner or Rocket Division's StarBurn (other programs give errors/freeze the PC, regardless of CPU/motherboard/recorder combo I build together, when trying to erase the discs.)
    Quote Quote