VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings,

Not sure if this is the right thread or not. I just got a Phillips DVP5990 from Walmart hoping that it would play AVIs recorded from my wife's camera. When I copy the avi file over to my thumb drive and attempt to play, i just get 'video codec not supported'. I read a lot of reviews that stated there should be no problem playing AVIs from a thumb drive with this newer player. Can anyone give me a tip?

Thanks in advance,

stedyone
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    AVI is a container format. Almost anything can be inside of it. Philips DVD players support Divx/Xvid playback, which also can be inside an AVI container.
    Best guess - your camera doesn't use Divx/Xvid, but since you provided no details on the camera, that's just a guess.

Note that we have a sticky in the DVD Players forum that lists Divx/Xvid encoding options that can be problems for successful playback on DVD players. You should take a look.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by stedyone
    Greetings,

Not sure if this is the right thread or not. I just got a Phillips DVP5990 from Walmart hoping that it would play AVIs recorded from my wife's camera. When I copy the avi file over to my thumb drive and attempt to play, i just get 'video codec not supported'. I read a lot of reviews that stated there should be no problem playing AVIs from a thumb drive with this newer player. Can anyone give me a tip?

Thanks in advance,

stedyone
    what brand is your cam? 5990/92 (not 100% sure) doesn't playback MOV/AVI Motion JPEG,HD divx
    Quote Quote  
  4. Digital cameras usually encode as MJPEG if they use the AVI container. Use GSpot or MediaInfo to determine the codecs used in your AVI. The Philips players will not play MJPEG.
    Quote Quote  
  5. AVI Motion JPEG I bet
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    Originally Posted by stedyone
    Greetings,

Thanks in advance,

stedyone
    what brand is your cam? 5990/92 (not 100% sure) doesn't playback MOV/AVI Motion JPEG,HD divx
    The camera is a Fuji. I'm going to guess it records in AVI motion as mentioned earlier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I DL'd MediaInfo and ran one of my wife's AVI from the Fuji camera;

Video
    Format : M-JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Duration : 10s 0ms
    Bit rate : 9 214 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.000
    Stream size : 11.0 MiB (98%)
    Title : FUJIFILM AVI STREAM 0100

Audio
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Unsigned
    Codec ID : 1
    Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
    Duration : 10s 0ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 16.0 KHz
    Resolution : 8 bits
    Stream size : 156 KiB (1%)
    Interleave, duration : 1000 ms (30.00 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration : 1000 ms
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit: Try MP4CAM2AVI http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/

Convert the file to Xvid or DivX AVI. Should work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Load it in Mediainfo so we know for sure. That way, we can recommend the appropriate app to convert it to a format playable on the 5990.
    Soopa, my wife and I would sincerely appreciate any tips or info regarding the easiest method to convert these Fuji camera AVI for viewing on a DVD player.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See above. MP4cam2avi

I'll post specific settings in just a minute.

Set the program up to everything I highlighted in green

My only concern is that the output ends up at 30.0fps. That'll possibly be a problem with the 5990, as I believe the max fps is 29.97. If the resulting file doesn't work,, let us know. We'll get your file functioning properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Worked perfectly Soopa! I'm another satisfied customer. One more thing, now I have DL'd a couple divx clips from the web to try and play on the thumb drive of my DVP5990. They play without sound but, play just fine on the computer with VLC media player. This player is starting to be frustrating.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I understand your frustration. Those DVD/AVI players can't play every format out there. The general rule of thumb is to load up the files in question into MediaInfo and verify they're XVID or DIVX with MP3 Audio.

Load those problematic AVI files that you downloaded in MP4Cam2AVI, but change the MP4Cam2AVI settings to the following

Quote Quote