VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a cd that will boot my xp computer into ntfs4dos or Dr Dos and read/write my ntfs partition, but I can't seem to see my USB memory
    stick. I want to copy files from my ntfs partition onto my USB memory stick (not using Windows operating system). How can I do this in a simple way? I know I probably can do this in Ubunto LIVE, but want to try to do this another way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ntfs files are copied to the usb stick the same way any other file is. drag and drop, copy and paste, .... the stick may be formatted fat, fat16, fat32 or ntsc it doesn't matter. that is if if the os can see the stick. not all can use usb mass storage devices.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. You will need some combination of boot OS with drivers that recognize the USB stick. Some mobos have different USB emulation modes available, but a DOS driver that will work might be hard to find.

This is a good example of where a minimal Boot disk is just TOO minimal.

The Ubuntu or Ultimate Boot CE would be more likely to work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Let me see if I get this...
    You have an XP computer. It apparently has an NTFS partition which you wish to copy to a USB drive, but you don't want to boot XP and you don't want to boot Ubuntu, which you say will probably work but you don't want to do it. So the solution you want is to do this in an impossible way because doing it in a rational way is not an option for you.

Read the other posts from jimdagys and the conclusion is that either he is a complete moron or he's a troll. Either way, why are you people responding to this? If he's a troll, you're wasting your time. If he's a moron, he's too stupid to learn. I really thought that his "I put a USB stick in my PC and got a virus" thread was rock bottom, but I guess I just didn't give him enough credit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. People have different ways of learning.
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK, I am going to try to download the UBCD. I understand that it has many tools on it. Which tool do I choose to be able to read/write ntfs and also see and save to USB memory stick?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UBCD will let you build a bootable CD that will boot and run XP *FROM THE CD* (i.e. slower that you HDD, but similar principle)...just use normal Explorer copy/paste/delete like you're used to to move files around. As for the USB stick, I *think* the USB drivers may need to be started manually after UBCD boots up...under the SYSTEM menu I believe(?)

Trev
    Quote Quote  
  8. The Ultimate Boot CD I am familiar with boots a flavor of Linux, You may be thinking of a BartPE disk?

I believe, as I mentioned previously, that you will need to add NTFS4DOS to the UBCD disk.

Haven't tested the Ubuntu yet myself but it would appear that you can do the job from an unmodified ISO, no assembly required.

Linux usually boots with the necessary drivers. DOS does not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    knoppix live cd has always worked for me. versions of knoppix after 5.01 can read/write ntfs. runs from the cd and can use to usb mass storage devices.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. When you say,
    "...you will need to add NTFS4DOS to the UBCD disk," is that the NTFS4DOS boot ima or the bsf that will need to go into the (boot sector?) of the UBCD? Can that be added with Nero or UltraISO? I used Ultra ISO and extracted 2 files out of the NTFS4DOS floppy, ima and a bsf.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys
    When you say,
    "...you will need to add NTFS4DOS to the UBCD disk," is that the NTFS4DOS boot ima or the bsf that will need to go into the (boot sector?) of the UBCD? Can that be added with Nero or UltraISO? I used Ultra ISO and extracted 2 files out of the NTFS4DOS floppy, ima and a bsf.
    Why don't you just download a copy of knoppix live and and boot from it ?????
    Quote Quote