VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know much,
    I just learned how to convert mkv to avi, and how to convert .ass sub files to srt so they could be played along with the avi vid in vlc player 'drag and drop' Is there a way to change the fon't size?? I know srt is a text only file and you can't code it. Is there a file format i can convert it to and merge it and the font files origonaly from the mkv file all into a playable avi file subs & fonts intact. Basicly i want to clone the origonal MKV, to an avi.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Basically no there isn't. Just leave it as .mkv

You can change size of subtitles while playing with kmplayer and smplayer, without changing the original file

Fancy fonts/styles cannot be specified by .srt, only .ssa and .ass

If you leave the .ass file outside of the .avi container, you can play it back with DirectVobSub and mpc
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so say..
    Subbing groups when they release an MKV and an avi of the same episode,
    You're saying they cant make the mkv first then convert to avi?? if thats the case then no wonder alot of them don't even bother with an avi release or if they do it's a week or two late. I don't get it though, if you can't add a sub file to an avi then how the heck do they sub avi's??

That right there says there is a way.. =s
    too complex to explain?
    If thats the case, i learned all this over night, i learn quick so try me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you mean hardcode? (i.e. permanently encoded into the video)?

Yes, you can do that but you lose quality everytime you re-encode a video with a lossy codec

If .mkv is your starting source, that is not the original source. Usually it's a blu-ray or DVD. I'm guessing that they would make the .avi from the original blu-ray or DVD, not from the .mkv because that would suffer 1 round of generation quality loss.

If you want to hardsub it, just use avisynth's VSFilter while re-encoding

TextSub("PATH\sub.ssa")

http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/externalfilters/vsfilter.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    could it be that bad? lol
    Couldn't i just add the sub files to a new raw file?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ashidosai
    could it be that bad? lol
    Couldn't i just add the sub files to a new raw file?
    What do you mean by "just add the sub files?" I've listed all the options you can do...

Do you mean soft subs or hardcoded?

.avi doesn't support .ssa or fancy subs - you should leave it in .mkv that's what it's for!

Why do you want to put it into an .avi container?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason i'm doing this in the first place is because some people, like me have crappy computers with low memory and not so good of a video card, So the mkv files wont play properly, yes even with the use of cccp and media player clasic, making the mkv impossible to watch.

I simply want to do repacks of the mkvs into avi releases so ppl can download them via torrent.

Whats the difference between softsub and hardsub anyway?
    hardsub, meaning 1 file?
    softsub, meaning attached file, 2 files. just guessing.

I don't really care about fancy subs, as long as the text size wont be huge.
    Quote Quote  
  8. softsub is an attachement either outside or inside the container so it can be 1 or 2, or 100 files (e.g. .mkv can contain many different subs, languages. Another example is .avi with .srt)

hardsub is permanently encoded in the video
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So,
    can an avi be either hard or soft subbed or just one?
    if both then which would be better?
    Either way id want the sub file to be inside the container.
    I don't care about fonts or anything as long as that can be done and the font size isn't huge.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Not all players can play .avi with softsubs inside, it varies. If it's hardcoded, all will be able to "see" them.

Your slow playback is probably because of the video is AVC/h.264, not because of the .mkv container. You need a relatively modern computer to playback AVC/h.264 video. Use mediainfo to determine what is being used.

Try converting the video to XviD and leave it inside the .mkv container and it will play similarly to .avi

I personally hate hardsubs, because it ruins the video (e.g. you can't change languages, you can't turn "off" the subs - it permanently "wrecks" the video)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will try that..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ashidosai
    So,
    can an avi be either hard or soft subbed or just one?
    if both then which would be better?
    Either way id want the sub file to be inside the container.
    I don't care about fonts or anything as long as that can be done and the font size isn't huge.
    Give a try to AVI-Mux GUI @ http://alexander-noe.com/video/amg/

But be careful. Not all types of video or audio compression are suitable for the
    AVI container. And IF your MKVs contain Hi-Def video and your computer is
    really too outdated, then the AVI container will not be able to make things
    much easier for it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive already converted MKV's with hi def video to avi, they work fine too. I convert the mkv to avi then the .ass sub file to srt, and play them together in VLC player. Works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Not all players can play .avi with softsubs inside, it varies. If it's hardcoded, all will be able to "see" them.

Your slow playback is probably because of the video is AVC/h.264, not because of the .mkv container. You need a relatively modern computer to playback AVC/h.264 video. Use mediainfo to determine what is being used.

Try converting the video to XviD and leave it inside the .mkv container and it will play similarly to .avi

I personally hate hardsubs, because it ruins the video (e.g. you can't change languages, you can't turn "off" the subs - it permanently "wrecks" the video)
    Ok wait i honestly don't know how to do that,
    The program i use to extract with is MKVextractGUI.
    Do i use that, extract the files, convert the video to xvid, meaning The mkv file?? or the avc/h264 file? The program i been using is anyvideoconverter and it converts the main mkv file to avi or wat not.

So extract all the files, convert and re merge them with mkvmerge GUI?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes - you could do your conversion to xvid/avi then repackage a new .mkv with the original subs with mkvmergegui - this is what I was suggesting. If the XviD conversion plays normally, this should too.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My converter doesn't support mkv, do you know one that does thats easy to use?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mean it will convert a mkv file but only to something else so the mkv doesn't stay a mkv file.
    Quote Quote  
  19. It doesn't matter. You can put the .avi inside the .mkv - this way you can keep original subs
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i didn't know that was possible. lol.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    one thing im still confused about though. am i converting the Origonal MKV file or the AVC/h.264 ??

If it's the mkv im converting then when I re merge the files what do i do with the AVC/h.264 file?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by ashidosai
    Ive already converted MKV's with hi def video to avi, they work fine too. I convert the mkv to avi then the .ass sub file to srt, and play them together in VLC player. Works fine.
    Did you convert mkv=>xvid/mp3 avi? You said it played fine right?

Just take that .avi together with the .ssa/.ass subs and put it into .mkv with mkvmergegui . This will take ~1 minute

If your computer is really old/slow, you might have to resize it smaller or use less bitrate, but it should be fine, there is not much more overhead for .mkv vs. .avi; as I said earlier it's probably the h264 video that is causing your lag
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it worked but..
    out of all the media player i have.
    -windows media player
    -media player clasic
    -winamp
    -Vlc

Vlc player is the only one the subs show up on. lol
    Quote Quote  
  24. Do you have directvobsub installed? Do you see a green arrow in the icon taskbar? Did you turn on the subs?

FYI, kmplayer and smplayer should be able to play them as well
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have VirtualDub + vobsub plugin.
    BUT.. vobsub for some reason wont install properly, I go and look in the program file for it in program files and exe files are missing, whole programs that aren't there that should be.

As for turning on the subs in any of the players i listed, I didn't see a way of doing so.
    And i know there are other players that will play the file with subs as Vlc did.
    I just thought they'd work in some of the comon media players as well,
    and that might cause confusion for what I'm wanting to do, Repack and upload via torrent.
    I guess i could just put in there "play with vlc player" lol...
    Quote Quote  
  26. For directshow players, like MPC and WMP, you need VSfilter (DirectVobSub) installed. Directshow players rely on system installed codecs and splitters.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/VSFilter_DirectVobSub

The other media players (VLC, KMPlayer, SMPlayer) all have internally installed codecs/splitters/filters
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so theres really nothing wrong with the video, it's just who ever wants to watch it has to have the right codecs, splitters and such?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nvm i get it now, it's just as i said above.
    doesn't directvobsub come with cccp?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by ashidosai
    nvm i get it now, it's just as i said above.
    doesn't directvobsub come with cccp?
    I don't know, I don't use CCCP

It works with XviD/MP3 in .avi with .ssa subs in the .mkv container, I just tested it. When you see the little green icon, right click it and select "show subtitles"
    Quote Quote