VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi . i have a lot of mkv movies OK . But the problem is Avery time i download subtitle
    There is a difference between the timing between sound and the the text .

Tried with many program to Edit the subtitle But the problem all the program Does not accept
    MKV . WHAT IS THE BEST PROGRAM CAN FIX THIS ?

THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  2. What format for subs? .srt?

You can extract them from the .mkv container with mkvextractgui (from the mkvtoolnix kit)

You can edit subs with subtitle workshop

Then you can repackage your .mkv with mkvmergegui

Sometimes subs have different versions (e.g. extended uncut version of a movie, or PAL vs. NTSC version....etc.. so you have to use the correct one)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the format is srt . Tried with subtitle workshop But its Crash Avery time i lode mkv file .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you extract the .SRT file from your mkv? The .srt is the file you open with subtitle workshop..You don't load the mkv...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NO the srt file not inside the mkv . I Download the srt file from some site for subtitle . the problem the difference between the timing between sound and the the text . In the past it was easy to fix this with avi file if i use SubtitleEdit program . But SubtitleEdit do not support mkv . I Tried with subtitle workshop But its Crash Avery time i lode mkv file .

I have to lode mkv file so that i can fix the ifference between the timing between sound and the the text .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see that no one had the answer to it ?

I am having same problem.

I want to create some Subtitles for some videos, the videos are in mkv. But No software i found can open MKV file. How can i create sync subtitles if i cant open the video file.

Please anyoen can help ?

thanks a lot in advance
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am using the old version of Subtitle Workshop version 2.51
    I can load separate srt file associated to mkv file, them Subtitle Workshop version 2.51 loads mkv file automatically. I can edit the subtitle file. It worth say that in this case Subtitle Workshop version 2.51 does not work smoothly and may crash many time, but it works. Anyhow it crashes with avi files also. I found that the crash is very much related to the installed codec package.
    New version of Subtitle Workshop are not the same as old version, there are many functions removed from new versions.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When ever you download a srt subtitle then your first step is to check the frame rate of both the srt and the movie.

srt frame rate can be checked from the site which you downloaded it from. The uploader usually provides you with the necessary information (Number of cds, frame rate .. etc)

also as said above you have the check the srt version against the movie version .. there are many versions like unrated, director cut, remastered, extended edition and so ..

if both the srt and the movie have the same frame rate then you can use subtitle workshop to adjust the time (adjust the time delay forward or backward)

if they have a different frame rate (23.976, 24, 25..etc) then you MUST first convert the srt frame rate to the correct frame rate which is in this case the movie's frame rate. Then you can use subtitle workshop again to adjust the time as above.

usually if the source is PAL then the frame rate is 25 and for NTSC is 23.976 but there is always exceptions.

a good utility to do all these conversion and time adjusting is Subtitle creator. It accepts srt, idx/sub and SUP format.

I hope this is useful for you.

Quote Quote  
  9. if you download an srt off the internet to go your movie, you can use time adjuster to tweak the timings. just google it. it's a great freeware program for that kind of stuff.

once you tweak the srt file, just use mkvmerge to put it into the mkv container.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've had the best luck with Subtitle Workshop v. 4

Play the video to get a good idea when the first and last subtitle should be displayed.
    Load the .srt in Subtitle Workshop 4. Hit Control B hotkey(^b) to bring up subtitle timing
    dialog box. Enter the time the first and last sub should be displayed. Unless the .srt is
    for a different cut of the film you should be able to get it close enough to watch without
    being distracted. You should be able to get the first sub correct on the first go. You may
    want to adjust the last sub timing a few times until you get it exactly. The rest of the subs
    should line up with the audio then.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. No way I could figure out how to pause the movie in this new version. Please help.

Edit:
    Oops, that was stupid. Just click on the movie preview
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've got the same problem, do you know any good subtitle synchronizer that can load both, srt files and mkv. Up to now i use a media player to open the video and a subtitle tool to upen a subtitle file and sometimes i use bsplayer. I need a tool that loads both so to work better and faster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by myrojohnis View Post
    I've got the same problem, do you know any good subtitle synchronizer that can load both, srt files and mkv. Up to now i use a media player to open the video and a subtitle tool to upen a subtitle file and sometimes i use bsplayer. I need a tool that loads both so to work better and faster.

Subtitle Workshop 2.52 works fine.

One problem is that if the subtitle has the same filename as the video (eg: The_Godfather.mkv and The Godfather.srt) then when Subtitle Workshop opens the video, the video renderer automatically tries to display the subtitle. Meanwhile, Subtitle Workshop is also trying to display the subtitle. Thus at best you see two subtitles, at worst it crashes.

I avoid this by renaming the sub to something like The Godfather_.srt. Then I open the sub, and select the "movie" manually. Then only SW tries to display the sub, and it works quite smoothly. You can rename the sub again later if you want.

I've just been doing this with some TV episodes the last few days, so I'm quite sure it works.

For codecs, I've installed K-Lite, and that displays MKV with Haali splitter and ffdshow, which is pretty standard however you install your codecs.

Anyway, SW has excellent tools to sync subs. Mostly you use the "1", "2", "S" buttons, you really do need to read the manual, but once you do it's quite simple.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks a lot very good trick. I didn't think about it. I am going to try it.I am quite sure that works because as i use it in the past it crashes for the reason that you described. Thank you a lot for your help.....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What format for subs? .srt?

You can extract them from the .mkv container with mkvextractgui (from the mkvtoolnix kit)

You can edit subs with subtitle workshop

Then you can repackage your .mkv with mkvmergegui

Sometimes subs have different versions (e.g. extended uncut version of a movie, or PAL vs. NTSC version....etc.. so you have to use the correct one)
    Hello guys, sorry for the thread revive, but I need some help to edit subtitle.

I have an .mkv
    I used mkvextractgui to extract the subtitles (track 4 in my case). I then used Subtitle workshop to edit them.

Then i used mkvmergegui and added both the original .mkv video and the extracted modified subtitles.

Under Tracks, chapters and tags -> I uncheck the original subtitle "S_Text/ASS(ID 3, type: subtitles), and then let check my modified subtitles SSA/ASS(ID 0, type: subtitles)

However, after muxing, I no longer have any kind of subtitles. My media player classic shows DirectVobSub but no subtitles show.

Thanks
    Quote Quote