VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I would like to connect my PC to my Toshiba 42" LCD television. What would be best? Through a motherboard with an HDI exit or through a videio card that supports HDMI?
    I believe that I will get audio and video through the motherboard connection, but will I also get both sound and video through the HDMI video connection?
    Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your video card has DVI-out you can use a DVI>HDMI adapter.

For the sound, you may have use a 3.5mm connector from your PCs sound card to your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - but assuming I have a choice (I am about to upgrade my PC), shoud i go for an connection to the TV through the motherboard or through a video card (which has HDMI-out).
    And if I go for the video card, will I also get the audio or just the video?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would go with HDMI from the graphics card. You can get better graphics cards (hardware h.264 decoding, gaming, Vista Aero) and it's much easier to upgrade if you need to in the future.

You can get digital audio via HDMI on a graphics card. Just make sure the one you get supports it. This generally means getting a card with an HDMI output, not a DVI output with a DVI->HDMI adapter. On the other hand, if you are going to route digital audio separately to a surround sound receiver you don't need digital audio on the HDMI port.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for the advice - research the video cards a bit deeper, it seems that there are no (widely) avaiable video cards that have a direct HDMI output (please correct me if I am wrong). Therefore, I guess that the advice from mh2360 was correct in that i would need a DVI>HDMI converter to get the connection going.
    Hopefully I could get one which has audio capabilities as well.
    Any final thoughts on this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by benshosh
    Thanks guys for the advice - research the video cards a bit deeper, it seems that there are no (widely) avaiable video cards that have a direct HDMI output (please correct me if I am wrong). Therefore, I guess that the advice from mh2360 was correct in that i would need a DVI>HDMI converter to get the connection going.
    Hopefully I could get one which has audio capabilities as well.
    Any final thoughts on this?
    Hello - many cards come with an adapter, many don't. If you don't intend to play demanding games, I can recommend the HiS 3450 card. It is passively cooled (therefore silent) and includes the dvi/hdmi adapter. It also features (like most such cards) the capability to output the audio over HDMI. I use it in media centre PC and it plays back Blu-Ray flawlessly at 108p.

If you do intend to play high-end games you will need to spend a little more.[/i]
    Quote Quote  
  7. You will find many more graphics cards with native HDMI out than you will motherboards. Here's NewEgg's list with HDMI (some via adapter, some native):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1320923120+1320...Subcategory=48
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all - you have been very helpful... and indeed, I found several graphic cards with native HDMI. Again, thank you to the community for the help.
    Quote Quote