VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all - new to the forum and looking for some guidance.

I transferred a bunch of files to an external drive (says WD on the side, stores 300GB - can find the model if it is important) from my powerbook g4. I recently went back to view some and a few will not play in QT anymore. The files say the proper size (11.3MB, etc) but don't generate a preview and show 0'00 for duration. Are they gone or is there a way to recover them? Thanks!

-Matt
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    supervir2, please do not post the same topic in several forums. I've deleted the other topic. If you wish to move a topic to another forum, PM a Mod.

Thanks,

Moderator redwudz

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks redwudz - I wasn't trying to spam. I posted it here first and noticed there was more traffic elsewhere. If this is than appropriate forum, then that is just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are asking about Mac solutions, it's probably the correct forum. Sorry, I don't have any specific suggestions for your problem, but some of our other Mac users may be able to help you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might be a format issue; the drive may not have been formatted as MacOS Extended but, instead, FAT32. While this shouldn't have caused a problem, it might be a related issue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What happens if you move one of those files back onto your Mac's drive?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I move one of those particular files back, there is the same playback problem. I guess my question is if there is a way to change the duration or if the files are too corrupt as something was clearly lost in the transfer and QT is not reading them as having any duration.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could be a codec issue, that you no longer have the ability
    to propely decode the file because you no longer hafe
    the codec that was used to make the file ( DIVX, 3ivx, etc.)

Simple answer: Go get VLC and see if VLC will play the files
    on the drive. If it does, then you can get info on the file
    that is playing, and the Stream 0 info will tell you the codec
    used in the file.
    Once you have that info, go into Library/Quicktime, and see
    if you have a matching codec in that folder. If not, then you
    should go get one of the following:'

for xvid, divx, flv and mkv video: go get Perian and install it.
    for wmv and windows media encoded files: get Flip4Mac's WMV player.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Terry might be on to something here. What is the file type? .mov, AVI, WMV, etc.?? Don't remember if you said where these came from. If the file info indicates they are the appropriate size, they are probably still valid, but we need to know what they are. VLC plays a lot of stuff...Flip4Mac does WMV, Flash=.flv.....

Originally Posted by supervir2
    If I move one of those particular files back, there is the same playback problem. I guess my question is if there is a way to change the duration or if the files are too corrupt as something was clearly lost in the transfer and QT is not reading them as having any duration.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info - I tried the VLC program and it said that the avi file is broken and seeking will not work. It asks to try to repair it, but every version I've tried crashes at or before that point.

As for codecs, I've taken all of my vids with the same camera and my other videos play (and these used to), so I'm assuming it is an issue with the transfer.

Thanks a lot for the advice so far - does that sound salvageable? Any other ideas? I'll keep trying the program...the last time it gave me some semblance of the original sound before it crashed - no vid yet.
    Quote Quote