VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Read the Original Story Here

Reader Christian Nielsen wrote from Sweden to tell us he and his girlfriend have named their baby Linux, after the operating system, and attached this darling photo.

Nielsen says he and his girlfriend Veronica considered a few names during the pregnancy, "but when he finally arrived none of them seemed right. We both thought that he looked like a little Linux as soon as we saw him and decided to go for that name."
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL I love it!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The story and the comments left about it are funny, but I feel sorry for the poor kid. Other children will tease him mercilessly, and most people won't get it right. He'll be called "Linus" instead. Parents ought to think more carefully about these things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My Mom used to be a nurse many years ago and she swears to this story: A poor ignorant woman gave birth to a baby girl but had no idea what to name her. After hearing the nurses use a particular word, she decided to name her daughter "Placentia," because she thought it sounded pretty.

A writer friend of mine incorporated this story into a popular medical drama last year.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Linux would be hot on a girl, but not on a boy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Linus i a normal name of a boy here in Sweden (like the creator of the Linux kernel, his name is Linus but he is Finnish but maybe he speaks Swedish like many people in Finland do). But Linux is a little bit odd name I think... However strange names are not uncommon nowadays so I don't think he will get much trouble because of the name. It's a rather cool name I think.

There seems to be at least 5 people with the name Linux in Sweden now, because he was not the first one according to this article in Swedish:
    http://hd.se/skane/2008/08/13/datanoerd-doepte-sonen-till-linux/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Epicurus8a
    My Mom used to be a nurse many years ago and she swears to this story: A poor ignorant woman gave birth to a baby girl but had no idea what to name her. After hearing the nurses use a particular word, she decided to name her daughter "Placentia," because she thought it sounded pretty.

A writer friend of mine incorporated this story into a popular medical drama last year.

They could have called him usually_quiet.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet would be preferable to giving him my real first name, If they did that, he'd have far worse problems to deal with.

I already knew that "Linus" is a normal first name in Sweden. That's why I said people would mistakenly think that was Linux's name.

I know from personal experience what happens when someone has an uncommon first name and a more familiar one is similar to it. It is a royal pain when people frequently don't get your name right, especially when it is on an official document. ...Or reverse your first and last names, which is what happens to my father, who has a different unusual first name from mine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "And this is my other son, Vista. You'll have to excuse him, he can be kind of slow at times"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    "And this is my other son, Vista. You'll have to excuse him, he can be kind of slow at times"
    Soopa that is funny. One of the few times I have acutally "laughed out loud" at something I've read on the net!
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Heh
    Quote Quote