VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to working with video - recently captured some home VHS, previously copied to DVD, into ULEAD Video Studio SE. The pictures are fine but there is no sound - has anybody any suggestions?!! Thanks in anticipation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would help if you decscribed your capture device - what you are using to get the video (and sound) into the computer.

The usual method is to conect the audio cable from the capture device to the line-in connection on your sound card. You then set your record function of your soundcard to line-in and finally set the audio device of your capture program to point to the soundcard input.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that but I obviously didn't make things clear! The oroiginal VHS tape was copied onto a DVD from VCR to DVD recorder - that disc is fine and plays vision and sound on whatever it is played on.
    ULEAD gives the option of importing from a DVD and it is this function that is causing me problems - using this option a file with the complete DVD - or any portion(s) of it that I choose is made on the hard drive.
    When this file is imported to ULEAD or Windows Movie Maker the picture quality is excellent but there is no sound - or no sound plays - even though there is a soundtrack there which is immediately visible in the time line if the split audio option is chosen.
    Hope this helps!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Much clearer now.

BTW which version of Ulead. IIRC versions prior to 10 could not import a complete dvd folder and would split the content into 15 minute segments.

But I digress. You have a movie (mpeg ?) in the timeline. Right click on it and select properties. That will tell you what audio you have imported. If it reports an audio stream then it may simply the lack of a codec on your PC why you do not hear it. Original dvd playback would not be troubled by codecs.

The imported video should also be in the designated working folder. Open the video in gspot and that will tell you if your system has the appropiate codec.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again. As to ULEAD version it came bundled with an EasyCap capture device - that's another story!! - and is described only as ULEAD Video Studio SE DVD - having said that it successfully imported 45 mins worth of video from the aforementioned DVD.

Have use gspot as you suggested - intriguing piece of software - and it tells me that alll necessary codecs - for video and audio - are installed.

Decided to experiment with other editing software and downloaded - free - Video Thang. Frustratingly, having loaded the file into it from ULEADS folder it goes and plays pic AND sound perfectly! - at the moment I haven't the inclination to get to grips with how the rest of Video Thang works but it looks unlikely to offer the the range of editing possibilities that ULEAD does and I would prefer to be able to continue to work with that - particilarly as I have already put together a considerable amount of graphic work on it ready for the video clips to be added!

Incidentally, the file also plays fine in Windows Media Player.

I guess this proves that there is readable audio on the file and am beginning to feel that this is something peculiar to ULEAD - and probably something stupidly simple like a setting but am dammed if I can figure it out!

Any more suggestions would be most welcome and be much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC The version bundled with that video capture device is quite old.

Out of curiousity, what did gspot report the audio to be. By any chance ac3 ?

Again, if memory serves me, older versions did not handle this.

If you want to be serious about editing then obtain the current (not SE) version - now 11.5 (12 is on it's way). You can download a free - trybeforeyoubuy - version and that will certainly import a complete dvd folder (I use it myself but with version 10 so may even find that one at a bargain price)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely audio format is problem ... lpcm is fine, but then you didn't say which version of the product you are currently using, apart from noting it as an se version.

Another trick is to save project, close the program, re-launch it, re-load project ... usually cures missing sound, but be aware of other products running in the background which link to codecs, players, quicktime, ect, shut them down when performing audio troubleshooting in other products.

If your going to move up, then the next level is videostudio x2
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Once again, thank you both for your interest.

Yes, the audio is AC3

I am unable to find a version number for my ULEAD product - perhaps it is a bit of a mis-mash cobbled together for free distribution with capture device - seems a bit odd as every other function on it appears to work perfectly, but then if one vital bit doesn't you're going to go and buy the real thing . . . .

Tried saving as project, shutting down and reloading but that had no effect. Thought to give uninstalling and re-installing a go just in case.

Suffice to say, though - I just don't think this version will have it!

Have downloaded trial as you suggested of latest version and that works a treat so given that there are various copies of this version on ebay I think that is the way to go.

Yes I am serious about editing - this is my first go and perhaps a bit ambitious - my daughter is getting married next year and the idea is to compile a DVD for all her guests - happily not that many! - comprising old family photos of them both and some embarrassing video clips. I do, however, find it fascinating and very rewarding - the effects you can obtain on the finished DVD using stills and some effects, overlays, etc. are quite amazing - and not particularly difficult once you have unravelled the workings of the program!! I would like to incorporate some animation into it - arrows that move and point to people for instance - and whilst I have a couple of animation programs I am struggling to get to grips with them - any suggestions welcome!

Thanks again - will post success or otherwise in due course
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at various ads for that easycap, they bundle VideoStudio SE version 8.

SE as in special edition. In Ulead speak that normally means a full version of the product(maybe missing some preset menus and schemes) but you cannot update date for the various 'fixes' that they issue from time to time. Same goes for the TBYB versions.
    Quote Quote