VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I'm brand new to Macs and ffmpegX, so hopefully I'm just missing a trick here.

I've been using my MacBook Pro for about a week and was recommended to use ffmpegX by a colleague.

I downloaded this, read the install instructions (no biggie, went fine) and then went about trying out a few options.

But when I read the instructions on the web site for enabling/installing .rm conversion support, things went a bit Pete Tong.

I downloaded the reallib files as suggested, but when going to copy them as instructed to Library/Application Support/ffmpegX, I found that there was no ffmpegX directory in this location.

I tried creating one and copying in the reallib folder and then using ffmpegX, but it still didn't let me copy in the desired .rm file.

I then uninstalled ffmpegX (using appcleaner just to be sure) and re-installed, but still have the same problem: no ffmpegX directory where indicated in the install instructions.

Can anyone offer any help or advice?

I'm using version 0.0.9y (interestingly I saw a post yesterday of someone using this version (the poster included screenshots) and they were having no problems working with .rm files.

Thanks,

Bowjest

PS - I'm very sorry, but I initially posted this in the Newbie section and then found this. Can an admin please remove my initial post in the Newbie area? I really didn't mean to cross post. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ummmm.....

I think I solved one thing.....

I was putting reallib in *my* Library/Application Support directory (sorry, but I'm new to Macs).

Nevertheless, after going to /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX and putting in the required reallib directory and files, I still can't get ffmpegX to accept/process .rm files.

Is it possibly a permissions thing?

Bowjest
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Intel or PowerPC?

The reallib for PPC won't work for Intel, and vise versa. The download link on the website is the PPC version. User jpschuck was kind enough to enlighten us how to get the Intel version in topic 349046.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1 thread per subject thanks bowjest.

Your duplicate thread was removed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to you both.

That link to the other posting has fixed my problem.

Sorry again for the cross post - it really wasn't intentional.

Bowjest
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Spoke too soon.

I can now drag and drop and the .rms, but when I go to encode, it fails within a few seconds.

I'll keep working on it.

Bowjest
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1/ Drag-and-drop a .rm file onto ffmpegX. Try the [Play] button. It should launch mplayer and play the file. This should confirm that you have installed reallib correctly.

2/ Reallib is a plugin for mplayer, so you will have to use a preset that uses mplayer for decoding, such as the mencoder presets (h.264 mencoder; XviD mencoder; DivX mencoder). mpeg2enc presets can also use mplayer, when activated in the Options tab.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Case,

Thanks. At the risk of being tedious, are you saying that I need to download and install just the codecs package from the Mplayer site (labeled as essential-macosx-x86-20060611.zip) or do I need to install Mplayer first from the Mplayer site, then the codecs (and follow the instructions here: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic349046.html#1834504)?

I ask because I have just installed the codecs from the Mplayer site and followed the instructions outlined at the address above (install the Intel codecs, then copy the codecs directory to /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX, rename the codecs directory to reallib, drag 'n' drop an rm into ffmpegX, then press preview) and it still won't play anything.

It looks like mplayer and mencoder were installed when I installed ffmpegX, but somehow the codecs don't appear to be getting picked up after the install and copy.

I'm happy to start over from scratch and try things again, step by step, but can someone please tell me how to uninstall the codecs package so that I know I'm working from a clean slate?

Thanks,

Bowjest
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bowjest
    Are you saying that I need to download and install just the codecs package from the Mplayer site (labeled as essential-macosx-x86-20060611.zip)?
    Yes, download, install, find it, and move it. No need to get the player it was intended for, as it will be used for the different mplayer version that goes with ffmpegX.

I press preview and it still won't play anything.
    Don't press Preview, press Play.
    (The Preview button is for previewing the partial output that already has been converted, while the encoding is still going on.)

It looks like mplayer and mencoder were installed when I installed ffmpegX, but somehow the codecs don't appear to be getting picked up after the install and copy.
    If you installed ffmpegX, installed the binaries, quit and relaunch, then ffmpegX would tell you if the binaries (mplayer, mencoder, mpeg2enc) were not installed correctly. If you do NOT get the binaries installer window again, then they must be installed correctly (as far as the binaries check can tell).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Case,

Thanks. I meant to say press Play and not Preview.

Still, I get nothing.

Could it be a case of not all .rm files are equal? That is, could the ones I have just not be suitable for this process?

Again, I'm happy to take everything off and start over (maybe there's not need on a Mac like a PC), just need to know how to uninstall the codecs I installed.

Just don't understand how after installing the codecs and then copying them to the right location (/Library/Application Support/ffmpegX) and renaming the directory to reallib that it still won't play/encode my rms.

Thanks for all the help.

Bowjest
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to be sure, did you unzip the downloaded files first? Sorry to ask, but similar omissions have tripped up others before, so I thought I'd mention it, just in case...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tomiee59,

No problem. A completely legitimate question.

I installed the codecs from the MPlayer site (this was a pkg-style install) and then went and found the codecs directory.

I copied this to the named location (/Library/Application Support/ffmpegX) and renamed it reallib.

I opened it and had a look at the contents and there are a load of files (easily over 80) in there including one that has a pkg icon next to it, but trying to install that (double clicked to see what it would do) failed to launch a successful install. It tries, but complains it can't install this one file.

Interestingly, a lot end in .dll or .qtx or have no associated extension.

I'll start over from scratch if someone can tell me how to uninstall the pkg install of the codecs.

Thanks,

Bowjest
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, everyone,

I don't have time right now, but I'm going to uninstall everything and do a step-by-step and outline it all here.

Maybe one of you can see something I've missed.

As always, thanks for your help.

Bowjest
    Quote Quote  
  14. What happens if you hit the "encode" button ? Any error message ? Same question if you activate the option "Open a Terminal Window" in the ffmpegX menu.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I hit the Encode button it just completes in about 1-2 seconds. No error that I can remember, but I'm going to uninstall and reinstall, step-by-step, and outline what I'm doing.

I'm hoping it's something that's obvious to a successful user, but not to me.

I'll provide an update tomorrow or Saturday. I'm sorry for the delay, but my job has kinda taken over this week.

Thanks,

Bowjest
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I've meticulously gone back through all my steps and I can encode now, but not preview anything.

Here is what I've done. I hope it is helpful to someone else who may also have had problems:

1. Uninstalled ffmpegX via AppCleaner

2. Deleted /usr/local/lib/codecs

3. Downloaded ffmpegX from web site (double checked that it was for 10.5)

4. From ffmpegX web site, followed link to download Mplayer/Mencoder, but this failed due to a network problem on the site. Using the ones I downloaded before (same link)

5. Double clicked ffmpegX.dmg and, as instructed, moved the ffmpegX app to the Applications directory

6. Launched ffmpegX and associated the named files for MPlayer/Mencoder and mpeg2enc - program launches without issue

7. Closed app and re-opened to confirm that files for MPlayer/Mencoder and mpeg2enc were associated correctly - get try for free or register message, but continue

8. Went to MPlayer site and downloaded the codecs for Mac OS X x86 20060611 - this displays as essential-macosx-x86-20060611.zip

9. Double clicked OS X Intel codecs zip - system automatically unpacks this

10. Double clicked Essential Codecs Package (Intel).pkg and installed

11. Navigated to /usr/local/lib and copied codecs directory to /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX/ and renamed this to reallib (NOTE: when I opened this to look at the contents, it contains an item called "Essential Codecs Package" that has a pkg icon, but displays as having a size of Zero)

12. Opened ffmpegX, dragged and dropped rm file to "Source format" window - this loads as I would expect

13. In the "Target format" window I select AVI Xvid (made sure this had mencoder after it when selected from the drop down list)

14. Went to top of window and clicked on "Play" at the far right next to "info" - nothing happens

15. Went to bottom of screen and clicked on "Encode" - this runs to completion (first time this has happened)

16. Open file in QuickTime, but needs an Xvid codec (download and install as directed)

17. Play file again in QuickTime and this seems to run fine
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the most part, yes, but the preview of files before encoding still doesn't work, but I don't really care about that.

I can encode the files I need to encode, so that's all that matters.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Sorry to return to this topic. I read all this some time ago and my ffmpegX start to works fine (tanks people). But now, I'm try to convert a RMVB file to Xvid and the convertion is finished instantaneously generating an empty AVI file. If I choose "Play" the file plays nice but the convertion do not work...
    Fernando - (Brazil) - Mac OS X 10.5.5 on "Generic PC"
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    criatura555,

Rename the .rmvb suffix to .rm. This worked for me. View my recent post on this.
    Quote Quote