VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I try to edit srt file associated with a mkv file using Subtitle Workshop 2.51, the preview video wouldn't show up on the screen except for the audio only. I have no problem with AVI files. Does anybody know what the problem is? The only think that I can think of is that Subtitle Workshop doesn't support mkv formal files...I could be wrong. Any advise? Thank you....
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just tested a mkv and it worked fine in subtitle workshop 2.51.

Can you play mkvs in windows media player? If not then install haali media splitter and ffdshow (if you get audio problems install ac3filter).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick,

Thank you for the advise. I downloaded and installed haali media splitter and now it works like a charm. Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have installed both haali and ffdshow. Im also using CoreAVC and ac3 filter but usually video dont work with mkv files in subtitle workshop 4 or 2.51. No problem with avi files mostly. Everything is fine in Media Player Classic Home Cinema. Please help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ donedeal: perhaps you have installed more stuff than you should and there's some conflict. You only need haali and ffdshow. No problem here with SW 2.51 (and avoid v4, which is beta and buggy).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i also have this problem ...

i did just like post #3 but it doesnt show mkv files in preveiew and also dosent function when i double click on a Phrase of a Subtitle ... it has to get me to the timing location but it doesnt !!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there,

I had this problem with a very simple .avi (DiVX->DX50 and .mp3 inside) on Windows 7.
    My solution:
    Used Win7DSFilterTweaker 3.2 to disable MS Filter on the last two pages, cf.:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Win7DSF_32bit.jpg
Views:	71167
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	3157
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Win7DSF_MS_Mod.jpg
Views:	71250
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	3158

Hope this helps someone encountering the same problem. As I found on the net, numerous solutions to the same problem exist...
    Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  8. @ nbarzgar

Thank you for you post. I was having same problem on my windows 7, and the solution was to follow what you said exactly. Now everything is ok, and Subtitle Workshop can show the mkv files.

great post.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nbarzgar View Post
    Hello there,

I had this problem with a very simple .avi (DiVX->DX50 and .mp3 inside) on Windows 7.
    My solution:
    Used Win7DSFilterTweaker 3.2 to disable MS Filter on the last two pages, cf.:

[Attachment 3157 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 3158 - Click to enlarge]

Hope this helps someone encountering the same problem. As I found on the net, numerous solutions to the same problem exist...
    Good luck!
    Done all like you described, but not working in my case..., so I done this what you suggest and (I have last K-lite mega codec pack) I open configuration of DirectVobSub and on General tab on Loading>Do not load>Apply>OK..., and now Subtitle Workshop is working with .mkv files (and now without doubled subs). K-lite codec packs normaly use Media Player Classic which don't use DirectVobSub for subtitles...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Wondering around the web came to this old but PRETTY USEFUL thread.

Just was wishing to thanks all of you who have helped me to solve this issue. Specially BobSapp who gave me the final solution after trying everything.

Greetings.-
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey... rax369..., glad to help you..., spread some knowledge..., is that simple....enjoy....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hello anybody,

I am new here and I am deaf.
    I am sitting for a few hours on the PC and the problem has not been corrected.
    I have some problems with Subtitles Workshop because the mkv-file doesn't shows on board although I installed haali media splitter, ffdshow, avisynth, Xvid Codec and mkv codec on my Nootebook. Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DeafYakuza View Post
    Hello anybody,

I am new here and I am deaf.
    I am sitting for a few hours on the PC and the problem has not been corrected.
    I have some problems with Subtitles Workshop because the mkv-file doesn't shows on board although I installed haali media splitter, ffdshow, avisynth, Xvid Codec and mkv codec on my Nootebook. Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?
    Hi Deaf Yakuza

Sorry about the late reply here but I had a similar problem with subtitle workshop not showing/playing .mkv's. I use various PC's and laptops with Vista and Windows 7 and I had to put haali on all machines to get SW to work with .mkv's. However, it wouldn't work on one laptop and I had to go into the haali settings and change some things in the drop down menus from "NO" to "YES" (I can't remember what settings unfortunately) I know one was Output ---> Use Custom media type for H.264 (change this from No to YES), also maybe "Decoder Priority Boost" (Change from NO to YES). I hope that may be of some help.
    Last edited by colditz; 16th Feb 2013 at 08:21. Reason: typo's
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    hi!
    the SW cant really play the mkw files on my notebook. its like some uncoded video: with green, blavk, grey and purple lines.
    (I have ffdshow, and haali as well)
    any idea?
    tnx in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by winzo View Post
    ... SW cant really play the mkw files on my notebook. ....
    Please provide more information to best help you. OS? Direct X version GPU? All mkv files or just HD ones? What software player(s) if any the mkv files play ok with? Why are you using SW? - extract subtitle srt and translate etc or create new subtitle etc?
    Have you tried deleting the software(recommended by others in the former posts) and reinstalling them?

A adubvideo.net - Setup a Proper Playback Chain in Windows

B adubvideo.net - Setup a Proper Decoding Chain in Windows 7 download Windows 7 Preferred DirectShow Filter Tweak Tool and complete steps 1 2 & 3 on that page.

Careful with B Step 4 if you use WMC for live TV as I do with my OTA USB Digital Tuner. (Do not delete windows audio and video codec or drivers like I did one time - had to completely re-install Windows 7 to get it working again. You can try disabling them if you want BUT DO NOT DELETE WINDOWS CODECS & RELATED DRIVERS. You should be able to re-enable if it causes a problem with WMC.
    Author says
    You should now be on the More tweaks for Windows 7 page. I chose to disable any built-in windows components that dealt with my decoders as I think they are all crap. I want to give full control to FFDShow, as it is the greatest decoder package available. You can do whatever you like, but I have had absolutely no problems disabling everything When you are ready, click Apply once again.
    Other possible solutions use MediaInfo to get mkv info. If you see Writing application : mkvmerge ver 3x or 4x that could be a problem. use latest version MKVToolnix or earlier version 2x to re-merge mkv then try it.

Consider trying Subtitle Edit Consistently updated with so many features including inputting subtitle files directly from mkv files.(my favorite program at this time - using it with VLC)
    Subtitle Edit can use VLC media player inside Subtitle Edit instead of DirectShow - go to Options -> Settings -> Video player. If the VLC option is grayed out, then you probably need to install VLC version 2.x or 1.1.x!
    Yet another video option is to use mplayer2. Save "mplayer.exe" in your Subtitle Edit folder and in Subtitle Edit go to Options -> Settings -> Video player and choose "MPlayer".
    Note: VLC and MPlayer come with their own codecs, so you don't need to install LAV Filters or ffdshow/Hali Matroska Splitter.

Why does VLC only give black, white or garbled (or other visual errors) video output?
    http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-1.1.x#Why_does_VLC_only_give_black.2C_white_or_gar...ideo_output.3F

Other possibilities if MKV file doesn't play in any Software Player: updating Direct X, GPU drivers. enabling or disabling acceleration in GPU or your notebook is old and can't play HD 1080p and/or 720p
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi. For anyone still struggling with this issue on Windows 7, I solved it by installing the "Windows 7 Codec Pack" found at http://www.windows7codecs.com
    I can now play MKV movies on Windows Media Player and Subtitle Workshop 4 Beta 4 and 5 Beta 1. On SW 2.51 it shows no video, only sound.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I recently ran into this issue which I never had before in the past. On my new laptop, I chose to keep UAC at the recommended settings. In the past I would just turn it off. I noticed that if I loaded up a mkv in Subtitle Workshop, that I video wouldn't display. If I minimized/maximized Subtitle Workshop I could see bits of the video. I was able to play any mkv files just fine in WMP. What I had to do was right click on my on Subtitle Workshop shortcut and run the program as administrator. Then I would get the message "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?". I would choose "No" and then the video would display just fine.

Of course the real solution for me would be to turn off UAC altogether, but I'm not in the mood, haha. Hopefully this helps out someone out there.

Currently I have used Win7DSFilterTweaker to turn off all of Windows 8 Media Foundation codecs. I only have DirectshowFilter Pack and FFDShow installed.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Look, I managed to finally solve this issue by JUST switching to CCCP Codec Pack, had tried everything on the net when I had installed K-Lite Codec Pack but nothing worked.

Only when I made the switch to CCCP, the "DirectVobSub trick" discussed here worked:

Hope this helps to others.

Regards.-
    Quote Quote  
  19. Alright, if even after doing all the tricks shown above it doesn't work. I found another way to make it work for those using K-LITE Codec Pack.

So, here it goes...

There is a little utility this packs installs called "CodecTweakTool.exe", located at:

<installation-path>\K-Lite Codec Pack\Tools

Or you can access it from the shortcuts created @ the start windows menu by the installer:

Launch this tool, then go over the steps shown below to disable "DirectVobSub":

Again... hope this helps lots.

Regards.-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, K-Lite's Codec Tweak Tool is offered as a standalone download, here on VideoHelp: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Codec-Tweak-Tool. So, in theory, if you wanted to try that, you don't even need to install the codec pack.

Edit: Bleah - the Codec Tweak Tool keyword link wasn't there when I hit Preview, so I was assuming it didn't work or work with those words. Oh, well...
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I've found this thread so useful that would like to request a STICKY on this, if possible.

The thread has become even one of the first results after googling for SW related problems about the preview issue on Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I tried this : ffdshow video decoder configuration > Codecs > Raw video > ALL YUV.and its worked for me.
    BTW: i have xp pro and Avisnth , Haali’s Media Splitter, Vobsub .. installed
    sorry for my bad engish
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hey nedz9...THANK YOU!! Worked for me too!!! Got Haali's Media Splitter, VobSub and Combined-Community-Codec-Pack-2013-11-27 installed. Now i can preview MKV's with SWS 2.51!!!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hello

I use Windows-7 64bits, STW 2.51
    I want to synchronize the subtitles (srt) to the video-files with STW 2.51.
    The videos have extensions like: AVI, MKV and MP4.
    With the AVI files I have not a problem to play in STW 2.51.
    But when I load the MP4 or MKV file .. then STW plays only the sound but the screen remains black.

I have installed: Haali Media Splitter, ffdshow and Win7DSFilterTweaker.
    But without success. The screen remains black.

BTW .. with STW 4 I have no problems with 3 video-files.

Can you help me?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am win 8. 64 bit. I get blk screen with mkv. dl'd the codec pack. still black screen.
    Last edited by guywire; 26th Jun 2014 at 13:55.
    Quote Quote  
  26. With STW version 6.0b now I can see AVI, MKV and MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my basic problem is sync'ing subs I get from from various sources to a blueray MKV I get from another source. VLC has a way to inject the sub into the video youre watching and advance or delay the moment when the sub appears so you can supposedly match it to when the character says that bit of dialogue. I can never get that to work right. So I was hoping Subtitle workshop would ... work. It works fine with avi movies, but not MKV. I don't know if the blue ray part is important. I have recently learned that bluerays use a different subscript for their subtitles. not srt but something else. maybe that matters?
    Quote Quote