VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. bought a new cannon hv30, read the book, read around this forum, and more or less just muddied the water for me on what the different modes are used for. I can record in:

HDV, 24p, 30p and then I can add the effect of cine mode only on the 24p it seems, to "give a cinematic look to your recordings"....

I tested all these modes and HDV looks the best, why would I use those other modes?

I guess most of what I am interested in recording is ICE hockey indoors, fast. Outside football games, vacationing, and then your typical family event.

trying to read and learn all of the odds and ends but there are so many of them, was looking around for some stickies on basic definitions of terms and functions as well.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For fast motion and greatest compatibility, use normal HDV. You can export as HDV or DV to your computer for editing/authoring.

Other than personal artsy farty, I see no reason to use 24f unless you need to do both an NTSC and a PAL release. The process is extremely complicated.

30P has some use for internet distribution* or special effects editing* but looks choppy when played full frame to an HDTV. This can be reduced by using tripods and controlled pan/zoom.

* you can simply convert 1080i to 960x540p/30, or 720x540p/30 or less anyway. This is what Apple iMovie does to everything HD.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed, but you will find some serious fans of 24p and 30p over at www.hv20.com . I don't get it myself.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote