VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again! This is my second thread.. This time my question is about DVD.. Since our DVD Player Supports DivX I would like to burn my movies collection into a standard DVD (4.5gb)..

But the problem is that I can only fit around 4~5 movies with 700MB size in 1 DVD, using Nero that is..

I'm wondering about some pirated DVD because, in 1 DVD it can fit almost 10+ movies.. So I'm asking you guys is there any technique? Good Quality of course.. same with my Anime Collection.. Around 175MB each episode.. how many episode I can fit with 1 DVD?

And can you recommend a good software to convert my video collections with DivX.. a good bitrate etc..

Thanks in advance.. and sorry if I did not know some of the Threads about my concern, I'm in a rush right now.. Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can get watchable quality if you use low resolutions (~512x288pixels or lower for 16:9 material). Use for example AutoGK, load the ifo from the DVD, set the output file size(Like 175 MB for one episode or bigger for more episodes ), use a low resolution(Autogk will automatically give you resolutions to choose from) and use a low audio bitrate(96-128kbits mp3 audio). Click on AutoGK for DVD to AVI DivX / Xvid guides. You can also try FairUse Wizard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can have a good bitrate and fit fewer movies or episodes to a disc, or you can have a crappy bitrate, low quality and fit many more to a disc. Your choice. Discs are cheap, so I don't understand why there is this obsession to fir more and more into the same space. Personally, I find 700 MB to be too low when it comes to quality.

As for tools, I like AutoGK. The quality is good, without the user having to know all the ins and outs to get it working. I use it to convert mpg digital broadcast streams for playback on a 32" LCD screen. Using a quality value of 65 I get around 4 hours to a 4.38 GB disc at very high quality. I could get a lot more on the disc, but the quality would go down, so there is no gain.

I have never seen a disc with 10 movies on it. I have seen DVDs with far too much on them, and quality is not one of their features.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rayster
    I'm wondering about some pirated DVD because, in 1 DVD it can fit almost 10+ movies.. So I'm asking you guys is there any technique
    Pirate discs are sometimes double-sided, so you have 9.4 GB.

But more often, even when labelled "DVD-9", they're really DVD-5.

It can be interesting to use GSpot and see what spec the videos are.
    I buy a lot of used discs and have seen a few with an extreme amount of video. One had about 29 episodes of a 22 min sitcom, on a DVD5. They did that by using a low resolution (like 352 x 288) and lower quality sound. Looked like a cheap VCD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    YDiscs are cheap, so I don't understand why there is this obsession to fir more and more into the same space.
    Well, keep in mind that the people that ask about this usually (but not always) live in places with lesser developed economies. Disc prices aren't cheaper there just because they have less money. So if you had to pay, say, 10 times as much as you do now for each blank DVD, every coaster would seem like an incredible waste of money and you might be looking to economize as that 25 pack might have to last a long time before you could really afford to buy another one.

When people who live in places like the EU, Australia or North America ask about this kind of thing, they are either being stupid or they are just hopelessly cheap.
    Quote Quote