VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there a program that would let me embed subtitles in say a divx, xvid or h.264 encoded file? i don't want to hard-code subtitles into the video by re-encoding, i want to embed them so that in a media player there is the option to turn subtitles on.

i've encountered files with such embedded subtitles, but i don't know how to do it myself.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Subs like .srt type are added to the same folder the video is in and the player finds them. I assume you want them as part of the video, but selectable so you can turn them off or on?

You will probably get more answers in our Subtitle Forum. Also, you may want to read the blue 'Stickies' at the top of that forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. Yes, i want them as a part of the video file, but not hard-coded into the video, so they aren't a part of the video/image data. I think the correct term would be closed-captions, or selectable subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also embed subtitles in mkv,mp4 and .divx containers. Use for example mkvtoolnix(.mkv), YAMB(.mp4) and AVIAddXSubs(.divx)

It's possible to embed subs in standard avi files but it requires that you have vsfilter installed and it wont work in players. Then it's better to just add the subtitle separate as redwudz says.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To add to Baldrick's excellent suggestions, note that playback support for MKV, MP4 and .divx containers varies outside of PCs. Streaming media players may support these containers partially or not at all. It might also be worth pointing out that when I've seen subtitles in MKV files, they've been in ASS (SubStation Alpha - I guess they thought it was funny to reverse the acronym) format.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    You can also embed subtitles in mkv,mp4 and .divx containers. Use for example AVIAddXSubs(.divx)
    Thanks for your help. This program sounds great in theory but only sort of works. The subtitles don't register in media player classic (subtitles option grayed out), my player of choice, and when i try to activate them from the divx tray control i manage to select them, but they don't show in the player.

They do work when using windows media player and the divx tray control, but i don't use windows media player. Also, when closing mplayerc after playing the processed file it crashes. Are these standard bugs with AbiAddXSubs and mplayerc?

I've yet to try the file in my dvd player, which is my main reason for this undertaking.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    aviaddxsubs .divx subtitles only works in the divx player from www.divx.com and standalone divx players.
    Quote Quote