VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So ive got a vob file which was converted from mkv and it is a little over 4.37gb. Right now it won't fit on a blank dvd so I was looking to maybe cut off the ending credits so it could fit on a single dvd-r.

What tool would be best to use to cut a few minutes off the ending without any quality loss? I'd be cool to not have to do anymore re encoding either as just to get the vob from the mkv took me hours to do

Any helps appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    dvd shrink in the reauthoring mode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. VobBlanker

Open the final oversized DVD in VobBlanker. Highlight the VTS containing the movie so it appears in the lower window. Highlight it in the lower window and click on "Cells" to the right. Once in the Cells screen, with all the cells (chapters) listed, highlight the last one (but if there's a tiny one, don't highlight that), the one with the credits, and hit "Prev/Cut" to the right. Check out what it contains. Sometimes credits are their own cell. If that's the case hit "Blank" to the right and you're done. Sometimes they contain the last part of the movie along with the end credits. If that's the case, you can easily cut at the end of the movie in the "Prev/Cut" screen. It's pretty obvious how you do it, but here's a guide just in case:

http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/guides/VobBlanker/prevcut/index.php

Hit "Apply" and go back to the main screen, give it an "Output Folder" and "Process". Before processing you will see in the "Size" part in the upper right what the final size will be. And if you know what you're doing, and want to keep the credits, you can easily extract them and reencode them for a smaller size before sticking them back into the DVD, also using VobBlanker.

Shrink's fine, I guess, but if there's a menu you'll lose it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    dvd shrink in the reauthoring mode.
    While in Reauthor mode I cant seem to open this vob file? How can I make sure it wont lose quality?
    Note: It is not a full dvd just a single vob I'm trying to cut

Originally Posted by manono
    VobBlanker

Open the final oversized DVD in VobBlanker. Highlight the VTS containing the movie so it appears in the lower window. Highlight it in the lower window and click on "Cells" to the right. Once in the Cells screen, with all the cells (chapters) listed, highlight the last one (but if there's a tiny one, don't highlight that), the one with the credits, and hit "Prev/Cut" to the right. Check out what it contains. Sometimes credits are their own cell. If that's the case hit "Blank" to the right and you're done. Sometimes they contain the last part of the movie along with the end credits. If that's the case, you can easily cut at the end of the movie in the "Prev/Cut" screen. It's pretty obvious how you do it, but here's a guide just in case:

http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/guides/VobBlanker/prevcut/index.php

Hit "Apply" and go back to the main screen, give it an "Output Folder" and "Process". Before processing you will see in the "Size" part in the upper right what the final size will be. And if you know what you're doing, and want to keep the credits, you can easily extract them and reencode them for a smaller size before sticking them back into the DVD, also using VobBlanker.

Shrink's fine, I guess, but if there's a menu you'll lose it.
    Again I wont lose any quality?
    I will try and report how it works thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    willhenderson wrote,

"It is not a full dvd just a single vob I'm trying to cut"

Try with Mpg2Cut2....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All tools mentioned thus far will work, but not all are uncomplicated. I believe the quickest and most error-free tool in your case will be DVDShrink in the Reauthor mode. Yes, you have the option of no compression so that it won't reencode when you reauthor without end credits. Do it on the main movie, deleting other menus and extras. (It will also let you delete foreign language audio tracks to save some more space.) Don't worry about individual VOB files, as DVDShrink will automatically take care of it and will give you a VIDEO_TS folder from which to burn your DVD. Without recompressing the movie, there will be no quality loss whatsoever.

The other tools mentioned will also get you there, but this one is pretty headache free.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that Shrink is by far the easiest for this task...However the OP stated he only has one .VOB file ....Not a DVD structured one....Unless I'm mistaken of course...

"It is not a full dvd just a single vob I'm trying to cut"
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yeah, I was assuming from just the first post that he had a full DVD. My question is what's he doing with a single 4+GB VOB file? If all he wants is to do is cut a VOB file, then neither Shrink or VobBlanker will work and he just needs a VOB cutter. t0nee1's suggestion of Mpg2Cut2 will work as well as any.

And none of the methods suggested would have reencoded or in any way degraded the original quality of the VOB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you only need to save 1 or 2%, recompressing with Rejig can do that.
    I defy anyone to detect a loss of quality.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am getting errors and the program is freezing up, mpg2cut that is:

Any other programs that would let me cut this vob without compression/re-enconding?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here, try the original MPEG2Cut. It's what I use but can't be found any more:

mpeg2cut.rar

Other than that, there are a number of VOB cutters including ChopperXP, VobEdit, DVD Shrink, etc.

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_chopper_97.html
    Quote Quote