VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Whats the cheapest blue ray media you have seen that will play in the ps3 with no problem
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The better question might be, which Blu-ray media works the best with the fewest problems?

JMO, but I would stick with some of the major online retailers, Rima, Supermediastore and Meritline, as you will most likely have to buy online anyway. Verbatim makes a Blu-ray disc, about $7 to $8US, and that probably is among the cheaper ones with decent quality. At those prices, it's a really bad idea to look for cheap discs, and one 'coaster' will make all your savings worthless. Blu-ray is not mainstream yet, and burners, authoring programs and media are not anywhere 'foolproof'.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It will be nice when there is enough quality data on Blu-ray media to know the good from the bad. This isn't an issue with DVD media; there is abundant information available. I haven't seen any quality info on Blu-ray media.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with you SCDVD. I've read that Taiyo Yuden may start manufacturing the discs, but given how conservative they are and their unwillingness to send DL discs outside of Japan, I'm not real optimistic that they'll ever let us poor North Americans have any. Verbatim is the only brand I would trust right now. Given how in North America that Sony has outsourced all of it's DVD media to the cheapest and lowest quality Indian manufacturers, I would not trust Sony made burnable BluRay discs. The only other guys I know in the business are those cheap companies that make poor quality DVDs, so it's not exactly a vote of confidence that they somehow got BluRay right.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Verbatim has gone down in quality over the years - quality control has taken a hit - I doN't know if their production facility needs new equipment but it shows - I would avoid BluRay as a format for recording at least for now - imagine losnig all that data - the margin of error for this media is very small - I would not trust it yet for consumer use.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't most of the Blu-Ray media made in Japan right now? I'd say the quality should be pretty high with the major brands. Sony BD media is no exception.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by highvolumeJP
    Verbatim has gone down in quality over the years .
    Says who? Verbatim -- or rather MITSUBISHI media -- is still fine. It's been an excellence choice since 2001.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    monoprice.com has ritek blu ray single layer disc for $8.50 each

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10836
    Quote Quote  
  9. Microcenter is selling Verbatim 25GB Blu-Ray BD-R's for $9.99 for a single disc.

Linky

That's cheaper than Supermediastore.com right now. They want $12.99 for one, as low as $9.80 for 5+.
    Quote Quote  
  10. so people are still charging 8 for a disc and its poor quality???? I have a chance to get a blue ray burner for xmas but dont want to waste a present if the disk isnt cheap and very high quality. Esp since frys are now not letting you return disk if to many fails... which i think is bs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe that at this point in time, you're better off buying BD-RE discs.

Yes, they are more expensive- by a few dollars each.

Yes, the record speed is slower than with most BD-Rs.

But you won't be facing the possibility of unrecoverable errors wasting your investment. Even if you can return defective discs for exchange or refund, that's a process no one enjoys and (in the case of direct exchange) offers nothing in the way of a real solution.

In lieu of that, just buy two copies of the movie if you must have a backup.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
  12. update

finally got my burner for super cheap.....

any new places for bd-r disk.... its a depression out here
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just for Info

I wouldn’t,t have a Blu Ray disk or player, But if you must

Newegg Has

RiDATA 25GB 2X BD-R(Blu-ray) Single Disc – OEM $4.99 and Freee Shipping

Just bought 100 Ridata –R DVD disks and 100 Ridata +r dvd Disks 19.99. Each 100 pack $19.88 and Free Shipping,

They work great

Edit

I also use Verbatim
    Both work fine Naver had a problem with either
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mol3000
    Whats the cheapest blue ray media you have seen that will play in the ps3 with no problem
    LOL, what kind of question is that???

What is the best car that will drive on a autobahn in germany? Eh??

And BTW, there is no such as "BLUE ray media".
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pls post only useful threads
    Last edited by updsoft; 16th Feb 2010 at 19:59.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It sounds like many people are way overpaying for their BD-R's (25gb). Better to buy in multi-packs rather than the singles. I've been using the Verbatim's, made in Taiwan. Burned about 50 of them so far, not one bad burn, all the playable ones have played back perfectly and the data burns checked out (md5) fine as well and can be read by both of my BD drives. The Verbatims can be had for under $3 apiece:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=96769

The Sony's are made in Japan and are more expensive but from the the info I've seen is that they're really good as well. There's quality BD-R media out there for sure. Stick with Verbatim or Sony and you'll be fine. My money is with Verbatim all the way, cheaper and just as reliable.

Of course you need a good burner, right now the Pioneer BDR-205 is the best. I have it and it does everything really well and fast:

http://www.myce.com/review/pioneer-bdr-205-blu-ray-drive-review-22946/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129051

I know the Blu-ray technology is fairly new but it's reliable and getting cheaper by the day. All of my archival stuff is burned to data disc (and hard drive) and it's really nice to get 25gb's on one disc rather than the standard 4.7gb's that DVD gives you, it's a real space saver.

EDIT:

I just noticed this is a really old thread
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -----thanks
    Quote Quote