VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DVD burner will not recognize any disc I put in it. Not even pressed DVD movies.

I only have about 5 hours recording time on this burner, as I usually use the HDD to record, watch, then delete recorded tv shows.

Every time I load any type of disc, I get the on-screen error " incompatible or unreadable disc", and the display on the recorder shows "can't use".

I have tried cleaning the burner lens, still no luck.

Is there anything else I can try, or is the burner toast?

Anybody have a working spare dvd burner from a DVR-543, or 640 that I can buy? What scary price does Pioneer Canada charge for a new burner?

I do have the service remote and data disc , so I can replace drives myself.

Thanks for any help,
    Allan.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good lord,

I sincerely hope that it is not your burner. Although, from the way your describing the issue, it very well might be just that. Mine started pulling crap like that 2 days before it finally tanked. I would seriously brace myself for the utter shock of high pricing for the drive, if that is what it is...

I went into this with the thoughts of a $50-75 drive repair. Imagine how I choked when I found out the drive for my 220 was $300 . Pioneer doesn't let go of they're stuff cheap. I'm sorry I don't have a drive that could help you Allen. But who knows? Maybe some of the guy's here will be able to assist. It's great you have that service remote. You would be truly lost without it.

Good luck to you Allen, and let me know how things work out.
    Yeah, I'm probably nuts... But what the hell. Nobody's perfect.
    Quote Quote