VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to edit a wedding video.

Is there guideline to this? Maybe some sample.. I saw a couple of google's video.

i will be using Premiere. Any video effect/tempaltes related to the wedding theme?

Burn it as DVD once done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mix of good stills and videos.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a tip:

You didn't have to post in OT. Personal video editing is perfectly fine in the main forums.

You could read the topics in this forum and if you can't find the answer then post this topic there, where you will probably get more responses.

https://forum.videohelp.com/editing-f4.html

Then if you have new questions relating to DVD authoring or burning you could post those questions in the appropriate forums also.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by gll99
    You could read the topics in this forum and if you can't find the answer then post this topic there, where you will probably get more responses.
    Bad advice. Forum rules forbid double posting, or posting the same subject in different forums. If you don't get responses in the forum you posted in, click on the "Report This Post" and ask to have it moved to a more appropriate forum.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been googling around but found none so far.

Some templates or video effects make for wedding video that I use in Premiere?

I know that iDVD have sample template when making a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do a Google search for wedding videographers and look at their video samples. You will see a variety styles some of which may give you some ideas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remember to tell the story -- don't just play with video editing transitions.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also keep in mind that the video is for the bride and groom, family and friends. If you look at videographers' web sites, keep in mind there are a few good ones and a lot of bad ones. Look for video samples with content you like as well as content that you don't like so you know what to avoid.

Many videographers belong to local and national associations. In some cases, these associations lose site of the clients who are paying for the video and play little razzle dazzle games among themselves. They liberally hand each other awards and medals so they can post them on their web sites and use them in other forms of advertising - - Videographer of the year, gold medal this, silver medal that, blah, blah, blah. So when some potential customer looks at their web site or brochure, they sees the self-anointed accolades and think, "Oh. this videographer must be good, he has two gold medals and a hero award." Maybe he is, but there is a good chance he's a phony whose primary skill is playing kiss-up at his vidographers' association.

EVERYTHING in a video should help tell the story or enhance the mood of the video. If it doesn't, there is a good chance that it is the product of some dweeb who pretends to be a videographer but actually it is just some clown playing with his toys to impress his little phony buddies.

Don't get me wrong. There are a number of very talented videographers who do great videos but you have to be astute enough to look for them. When you do find the good ones, you can learn a lot from looking at their work. But for every good one you find, there are ten who are a joke.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the advice.

I'm trying to edit the edit the wedding video for my friend.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I've a victim of a backyard operator myself. My wedding video came out like $hit and the reasons was:

- Badly interlaced and flickery, I think he got the fields wrong or something.
    - Colors way oversaturated, skin tones became yellow/orangy, dark pink flowers became purple in the video.
    - Underexposed/low contrast, many areas of the video was freakin dark, especially at the reception, could hardly see the background. He used some dodgy lighting effects and later told me it was done to increase depth of field, yeah right!
    - Wedding video finished abruptly after our first dance, WFT!
    - Inconsistent lightning/brightness levels, the levels kept going bright>dark>darker>bright again....arg.
    - The authored DVD had a very crap, depressing menu. I think he used a cheap template.

So many things that was wrong with it. Please don't do any of the above to your friend's wedding.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry to hear about the botched job on your wedding video. The thing that is so outrageous is that these sleeze-bags don't realize or don't care how important a wedding video is to the couple. It is something they will cherish for their entire life. There is hope however. Contact this guy and get a hold of the original tapes and find a good editor to redo it for you. Even though he may not be able to entirely fix the poor shooting, he can do a lot to improve brightness, contrast, gamma as well as color correction and de-shake. You can also give the new editor some of your wedding photos and he can use these interspersed where necessary to replace garbage or missing footage.

Some of these jokers even infest this forum. For example read this piece of work and be prepared to puke https://forum.videohelp.com/topic356511.html This clown is already "in the business" and obviously knows very little about anything to do with the whole process. He is just conning people and thinks he is smart by doing so. When some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum tried to give him some helpful advise, all he did was spout off with his obnoxious attitude.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    wow that dude really is a tool..and the slideshow prices are ridiculous for what I'm sure is a 30 min hack-job.

Anyways..I've done a few wedding video's for people and rule #1 is be honest with them about your skill level/abilities. This will let them decide if they want to use you and set some sort of expectation for the final product that is attainable .

When I first got some good editing software I made the mistake many people do of overusing the effects. Now I usually just use simple crossfades for scene transitions and slight brightness/contrast adjustments as needed. Less is more, especially if you're a noob! Really though, excessive effects really cheapens the video. As someone said in another thread "this isn't Star Wars".

If you're going to design a menu, make sure you spend a good bit of time/effort in it to make it look as professional as your abilities allow. Again, it can be simple, but should make a good impression since it's the first thing they are going to see.

finally, enjoy the learning experience! it's a lot of fun to do as a hobby.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin
    wow that dude really is a tool..and the slideshow prices are ridiculous for what I'm sure is a 30 min hack-job.

Anyways..I've done a few wedding video's for people and rule #1 is be honest with them about your skill level/abilities. This will let them decide if they want to use you and set some sort of expectation for the final product that is attainable .

When I first got some good editing software I made the mistake many people do of overusing the effects. Now I usually just use simple crossfades for scene transitions and slight brightness/contrast adjustments as needed. Less is more, especially if you're a noob! Really though, excessive effects really cheapens the video. As someone said in another thread "this isn't Star Wars".

If you're going to design a menu, make sure you spend a good bit of time/effort in it to make it look as professional as your abilities allow. Again, it can be simple, but should make a good impression since it's the first thing they are going to see.

finally, enjoy the learning experience! it's a lot of fun to do as a hobby.
    Great advice. Another thing that is good to do is to advise the couple with respect to the shooting conditions versus what to expect with the finished video. One of the most common problems with wedding shoots is poor lighting. Even though good equipment is very important, it can't compare with a Hollywood movie production shot on a set where everything is optimized for shooting. There is often a big difference in optimizing lighting for the mood of a venue versus optimizing it for shooting video. It's better to explain this to the couple before the wedding rather than after so their expectations are in line with the actual shooting conditions.
    Quote Quote